The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Looking For Color Vision Variations (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
3011 Posts

Profile of warren
I'm interested in finding a nice version of Color Vision I'm sure there are a number of different things that could go inside the box from Rubiks cubes to die and would also imagine that you can get some that use a nice classy wooden box rather than a cheap plastic one.

I would like to hear what variations are there that are worth me searching for ?
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5627 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
It's not about the prop. Unless you are just doing a magic trick, I guess.
George Hunter
View Profile
Inner circle
1525 Posts

Profile of George Hunter
From my modest experience, you'd want a version that permits two advantages:

1. You'd want to be able to move the top behind your back with one hand, easily.

2. The colors need to contrast enough and be bright enough that you can discern which color is on top in your peripheral vision, not having to look AT it at all.

The one that Mikame used to make is great on the first and good on the second. Viking's version may meet those criteria, but they are currently not in stock. You night ask George when he expects to stock them again.

George
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
2831 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
Color Vision without the box and instantly repeatable: drop the cube into a cup (like a die cup for shaking). Spectator shakes up the cube. You name the color on top, the spectator removes top to show you are correct. Covers top, he shakes again, again you know the color, and perhaps one more time before it gets boring.

Color Vision with 10 color cards and an envelope. Spectator shuffles cards and puts them in an opaque envelope. You instantly know the order of all 10 colors as he removes them from the envelope one by one. You could do it with playing cards, but then it would not be Color Vision; just another card trick.
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4001 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
One of my personal favorites is "Color Vision Deluxe," which ends with a prediction of the chosen color that appears as a sticker inside the lid.
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
3011 Posts

Profile of warren
Quote:
On Feb 2, 2019, Tom Cutts wrote:
It's not about the prop. Unless you are just doing a magic trick, I guess.


Your post has confused me when you say "its not about the prop" personally I like to use nice products when working and to use the basic plastic version of color vision to me just screams magic prop hence me liking the idea of something wooden etc as it looks nice and doesn't look like a cheap trick from a child's magic set.

Quote:
On Feb 2, 2019, jimgerrish wrote:
Color Vision without the box and instantly repeatable: drop the cube into a cup (like a die cup for shaking). Spectator shakes up the cube. You name the color on top, the spectator removes top to show you are correct. Covers top, he shakes again, again you know the color, and perhaps one more time before it gets boring.

Color Vision with 10 color cards and an envelope. Spectator shuffles cards and puts them in an opaque envelope. You instantly know the order of all 10 colors as he removes them from the envelope one by one. You could do it with playing cards, but then it would not be Color Vision; just another card trick.


Interesting especially the first one you mentioned but you haven't pointed me in the direction to find out how to do either of the methods and obviously I'm not interested in using electronics etc.

George Hunter all valid and interesting points and Philemon Vanderbeck tahnks for your suggestion.
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5627 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Quote:
On Feb 3, 2019, warren wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 2, 2019, Tom Cutts wrote:
It's not about the prop. Unless you are just doing a magic trick, I guess.


Your post has confused me when you say "its not about the prop" personally I like to use nice products when working and to use the basic plastic version of color vision to me just screams magic prop hence me liking the idea of something wooden etc as it looks nice and doesn't look like a cheap trick from a child's magic set.

What in the world does a fancy wooden box with a block inside with something on it (colors, symbols, whatever) look like to a layperson? Probably some awkward, fancy, magic box. So that vs saying, “I got this from my nephew’s toys and thought it would make for an interesting experiment...” which seems more “common everyday”?
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
2831 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
You have inspired me to write a new e-Book for The Magic Nook that I will name "Color Visionary" which will list all the variations I know or can invent for performing this old 1930 trick (or variations thereof) from New York mentalist-dealer Martin Sunshine. It will appear soon in The Wizards' Journal #38.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
11274 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On Feb 3, 2019, Tom Cutts wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 3, 2019, warren wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 2, 2019, Tom Cutts wrote:
It's not about the prop. Unless you are just doing a magic trick, I guess.


Your post has confused me when you say "its not about the prop" personally I like to use nice products when working and to use the basic plastic version of color vision to me just screams magic prop hence me liking the idea of something wooden etc as it looks nice and doesn't look like a cheap trick from a child's magic set.

What in the world does a fancy wooden box with a block inside with something on it (colors, symbols, whatever) look like to a layperson? Probably some awkward, fancy, magic box. So that vs saying, “I got this from my nephew’s toys and thought it would make for an interesting experiment...” which seems more “common everyday”?



Tru Dat.
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
3011 Posts

Profile of warren
Quote:
On Feb 3, 2019, Tom Cutts wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 3, 2019, warren wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 2, 2019, Tom Cutts wrote:
It's not about the prop. Unless you are just doing a magic trick, I guess.


Your post has confused me when you say "its not about the prop" personally I like to use nice products when working and to use the basic plastic version of color vision to me just screams magic prop hence me liking the idea of something wooden etc as it looks nice and doesn't look like a cheap trick from a child's magic set.

What in the world does a fancy wooden box with a block inside with something on it (colors, symbols, whatever) look like to a layperson? Probably some awkward, fancy, magic box. So that vs saying, “I got this from my nephew’s toys and thought it would make for an interesting experiment...” which seems more “common everyday”?


It would be just as simple for me to use patter as to why I have a wooden box ie "look what I picked up in this old antique shop " either way I asked a simple question and some how you have managed to turn it it to a silly debate so lets just agree to disagree and get back to the topic.... Thank you
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4001 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
Sadly, this is very typical (not just here, but in any forum).

You ask a question, and instead of getting answers, you get EVERYTHING but the answers you are seeking.
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
3011 Posts

Profile of warren
Quote:
On Feb 4, 2019, Philemon Vanderbeck wrote:
Sadly, this is very typical (not just here, but in any forum).

You ask a question, and instead of getting answers, you get EVERYTHING but the answers you are seeking.


Agreed but every now and then there are some genuine people out there such as yourself that do make it worth while asking questions anyway hopefully things can get back on track now.
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3200 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
Would recommend checking out Ed Marlo's "Arcade Dreams" book... he has some great handling tips for this effect.

Owen Magic made a very cool version as well:

http://www.owenmagic.com/Close_Up/close_up.html

John
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
2831 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
By divining the number of a polyhedron die (up to 12) and matching the number to a color, you can perform "Color Vision by Numbers". Lots more fun in the "Color Visionary" field! Use the box or lose the box, it's all the same; I know what you're thinking!
rgnprof
View Profile
Regular user
115 Posts

Profile of rgnprof
Check out Marc Charisse's cubes at Gemini Artifacts...I have his Alchemist Cube and would like to purchase the Poe one...I think they make for a great story telling effect. For an idea, I reference you to Jim Kleefeld's booklet Ghost Storytelling and the routine Aunt Cora's Block. His exact routine is specific to Marc's A Peculiar Block, but the story can be adapted to really fit any of the blocks that Gemini sells.

ryan
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
3011 Posts

Profile of warren
Thanks for the suggestions.
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
2831 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
I found a dodecahedron puzzle based on the Rubik's cube, that can combine elements from my Cubey-Doobey routine ( https://www.magicnook.com/WizJ37/37-07CubeyDoobey.htm ) to solve the puzzle, with Color Visionary's second sight methods. The six extra colors are easy to spray paint on, but I have re-arranged them all so I can look at one side and know the opposite side's color, which comes in handy and helps my aging memory.
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
2831 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
Quote:
On Feb 3, 2019, warren wrote:

Quote:
On Feb 2, 2019, jimgerrish wrote:
Color Vision without the box and instantly repeatable: drop the cube into a cup (like a die cup for shaking). Spectator shakes up the cube. You name the color on top, the spectator removes top to show you are correct. Covers top, he shakes again, again you know the color, and perhaps one more time before it gets boring.

Color Vision with 10 color cards and an envelope. Spectator shuffles cards and puts them in an opaque envelope. You instantly know the order of all 10 colors as he removes them from the envelope one by one. You could do it with playing cards, but then it would not be Color Vision; just another card trick.


Interesting especially the first one you mentioned but you haven't pointed me in the direction to find out how to do either of the methods and obviously I'm not interested in using electronics etc.

No electronics are used, and the methods used for my above mentioned tricks and more are now all on-line in The Wizards' Journal #38 - "Color Visionary" at The Magic Nook. Now I'm going back to bed for a long winter's nap. Wake me if you need anything else.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Looking For Color Vision Variations (8 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL