The Magic Cafť
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Ľ Ľ Trick coin trickery Ľ Ľ Coin Set Help! (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

robbyrob
View Profile
New user
New York, NY
67 Posts

Profile of robbyrob
Hey All - Ok, so I may be a bit different than most, but I actually prefer my copper and brass coins to be super shiny and new looking. I have a Lassen set Iíve been working with for years, I think itís the Ultimate Wild Coin set maybe. Regardless, I was recently polishing the copper shell with some metal polish and a paper towel, and accidentally got a very small piece of the paper towel pinched between the shell and inner coin!! I know, dumb mistake. Now I canít get the inner coin out of the shell.

Has this ever happened to anyone and if so does anyone have a solution? Iíve tried everything I can think of - water, heat, cold, magnets. Iím going nuts here!

Thanks,

Rob
Mobius303
View Profile
Inner circle
Lakewood, Ohio
1288 Posts

Profile of Mobius303
Shake it in a shot class or plastic tumbler (glass) until they come apart.
Jerry
View Profile
Special user
Some where in Florida
955 Posts

Profile of Jerry
The paper towel withstood flame?

Magic...
robbyrob
View Profile
New user
New York, NY
67 Posts

Profile of robbyrob
Thanks, yeah I tried the glass method and it didnít work. I think the problem is the fit is so tight with the lassen stuff, itís really wedged in there. The part of the paper towel that was sticking out burned off easily, but thereís got to be some still in there because the inner coin wonít slip free. I guess itís so tight it canít even burn. I was thinking of sending it to Todd, but that will probably take for ever. Maybe there is a chemical that will dissolve or eat away the paper towel? Just looking for options at this point. Thanks again!
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
1184 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Iím wondering if some canned air could work. Aim the air tube at the edge and see if some air blasts will separate the two. Be cautious though, the canned air can cause frostbite on exposed skin.
robbyrob
View Profile
New user
New York, NY
67 Posts

Profile of robbyrob
Good idea - Iíll try that! Thanks!
Riley
View Profile
Special user
Darlington UK
909 Posts

Profile of Riley
Try a loop of strong tape - like carpet tape - around your fingers, sticky side apply to coin and pull.
Remove any tape residue with cigarette lighter fuel. Worked for me when I had a similar problem.
Bambu
View Profile
Elite user
457 Posts

Profile of Bambu
You can apply heat to the shell with the help of a hair dryer, when the shell is hot enough, carefully use a needle to prick and pull out around the edge of the inserted coin. I had success using this technique in the past when I had similar problems.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
8226 Posts

Profile of funsway
Cold can work also. Find a pill container a bit smaller than the insert and freeze. Apply to the coin a minute and shake,
or apply the sticky tape first. That metal duct tape is very strong and will conduct the cold.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

ShareBooks at www.eversway.com * questions at funsway@eversway.com
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
1184 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Just wondering if there has been any success yet.
THECLAW
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of THECLAW
Hi Rob

I have had my coin stuck, same exact set, as well as others. I tried all the methods.
The only thing that worked well, for me, in the end was to:

1) If you wish to protect your coin during the process you can use some tape or something of your choosing
to place on the unopened side of the shell.

2) Hold the coin tightly face down between your left hand pointer finger and thumb.
Try not to block the coin, with the pads of your fingers from releasing.
This can be done by holding the coin somewhere below the middle of your finger tips, while maintaining a good grip.

3) Take another "real" same coin, in your right hand between pointer finger and thumb with the edge pointed to the ground and tap solidly, in a hammering motion around the middle of the coin, in areas that have the most thickness, so as to not dent your coin. If this doers not work you can tap on the less dense areas of the coin.

Between five and twenty solid taps should release the coin.
robbyrob
View Profile
New user
New York, NY
67 Posts

Profile of robbyrob
Hey All,

Thanks for all the tips. So I tried heat, even got as far as a plumbers torch - but that did not work. All I managed to do was burn off the tiny bit of paper that was sticking out. I also stuck it in the freezer for a while, but that didnít work either. @Riley and @TheClaw - I will try tap and your methods next. Iíll also see if I can post a picture that shows the problem.

Thanks again for the help! Thatís why I love this community!

Rob
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
1861 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Quote:
On Feb 5, 2019, Bambu wrote:
You can apply heat to the shell with the help of a hair dryer, when the shell is hot enough, carefully use a needle to prick and pull out around the edge of the inserted coin. I had success using this technique in the past when I had similar problems.

I've done something similar with the edge of an X-acto blade. The key words are "edge of the inserted coin" you don't want to be prying between the stuck coin and the rim of the shell... You'll bend it out of shape. You're just using the pin/blade to get a grip on the edge of the stuck coin.

If all else fails, I'd try super-gluing "handles" onto both sides... Preferably in two different spots so you can "wiggle" the two coins apart. When they're separated, soak in Goof Off to dissolve the super glue.
Mysterioii
View Profile
Regular user
122 Posts

Profile of Mysterioii
When you're heating it up or cooling it in the freezer you're likely affecting both pieces of metal in the same way, keeping the fit roughly the same. Try heating it only on the shell side, then quickly give it a blast of cooling spray or (compressed air with the can held upside down) on the opposite side right in the center of the coin, to try to shrink the insert a bit while the shell is still hot. Then a quick drop and rattle in a glass.
TWOCAN
View Profile
Special user
PORT RICHEY FLORIDA
762 Posts

Profile of TWOCAN
Bang ring
Close up coin magic.

Okito box clip.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=100n9CnFjXw
Bambu
View Profile
Elite user
457 Posts

Profile of Bambu
Quote:
On Feb 11, 2019, Mysterioii wrote:
When you're heating it up or cooling it in the freezer you're likely affecting both pieces of metal in the same way, keeping the fit roughly the same. Try heating it only on the shell side, then quickly give it a blast of cooling spray or (compressed air with the can held upside down) on the opposite side right in the center of the coin, to try to shrink the insert a bit while the shell is still hot. Then a quick drop and rattle in a glass.

Did you ever tried?
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21548 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
The shaking in a large thick glass should work. How long did you try. It has to rattle around inside, and use different angles. Don't shake to hard, as you may crack the glass or damage the coin. You hold the glass with you hand over the mouth of the glass, but you don't want to have the coin hit your hand, just the sides of the glass and the bottom of the glass. It can take a while, as it sounds like you really jammed it. If after an hour of rattling, then you can give up.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Ľ Ľ Trick coin trickery Ľ Ľ Coin Set Help! (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL