The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Walmart (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
jkvand
View Profile
Special user
Johnstown, PA
658 Posts

Profile of jkvand
I get the sketch pads to make Cardiographic in the WalMart craft department. Just like the ones Martin Lewis uses, for less than $4! Also, I got a paper cutter in their scrapbooking dept. that I can use to trim playing cards if I need a short card or a stripped card.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3373 Posts

Profile of Julie
They now stock a large "tacky" rubber eye-ball that is just right for final load(s) for some cups & balls / chop cups just in time for Halloween shows = $1 each!
othere_eye
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of othere_eye
Oh boy, this is going to be a long one I think.

Dollar Store recent buys:
leather shoelaces (to make monkey-paw balls for C+B)
bright paper napkins
bright silk lei that matches my silks for changebag
dozens of decks of cheap cards to play with and mutilate
blank sticker paper to make giveaways
little capsules that produce sponge unicorns, flowers, hearts, etc.
cheapo "magic kit" that included a quite nice penetration frame
mini spiderman cards to use with above
2 scarves
3 mens handkerchiefs
nail glue and eyelash glue (for those tiny adhesive emergencies!)
6 bouncy balls
paper lunch sacks
envelopes
safety pins
pretty carboard hinge-top boxes for storage
3 fine point black markers
1 box of crayons, 12pack (all 12 of which now vanish *G*)
1 small stuffed rabbit

and I'm not even sure that's all of it! Oh Dollar Store, how I adore thee.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3373 Posts

Profile of Julie
Quote:
On 2005-09-19 12:03, Julie wrote:
They now stock a large "tacky" rubber eye-ball that is just right for final load(s) for some cups & balls / chop cups just in time for Halloween shows = $1 each!

I've just discovered these rubber eye balls LIGHT UP when they're bounced on the table top! Smile
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1990 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
Quote:
On 2004-05-12 19:42, Pete Biro wrote:
How many of you remember Woolworths? Same kinda stores 50+ years ago... Then there were "five and dime stores" ... gag used to be "Woolworth's, the world's magic shop."

The last one in the Corpus Christi area closed years ago but I remember it alright. Grandmother spoiled me on Saturdays by taking me downtown shopping with her. First stop was WOOLWORTHs. I'd stock up the toy items that just had to be had, visited with the animals in the pet section, and then sit down for a cheeseburger and fries. Hey what kid wouldn't want that deal? They also had the old soda shop style jukeboxes at each table. Push of the button and the selection pages flipped back and forth.

There was a blind man with his seeing dog who'd be there having his coffee. His name was Mitch and he always knew we were nearby and would ask what I'd picked out that weekend. One day I asked how he knew I was sitting next to him when I hadn't said anything. He said "Oh you said plenty alright....about thirty minutes when you and your Grandman walked in.....so what ya get?..."

Mitch was great. I had no problem talking to him about his being blind. I didn't get it then but understand now what he meant when he'd say that with his ears he'd seen more than he wanted over the years.
ehands
View Profile
Special user
Mississippi
524 Posts

Profile of ehands
Quote:
On 2004-05-12 20:50, amosmc wrote:
If you ever go to Branson, there is an old-time "five and dime" store in downtown Branson, with almost all the stuff I remember from my childhood. Amos McCormick

If on I-20, magicians may enjoy looking in the oldest continually open Western Auto store. Minden is a small town, 30 miles east of Shreveport. The store is downtown and easy to find if you just ride Main Street.
"Oh look, we have created enchantment." Blanche DuBois
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
What I have learned is I need to be paying more attention on my next trip to Walmart. It is a shame so many of you turned this into a quasi-political discussion but as one who enjoys a good laugh I suggest you put JibJab into your search engine and click on the video "Big Box Mart".

It will bolster the egos of the Walmart haters and for the rest of us who don't quite lean that far left, you'll just get a great laugh out of it.

Frank Tougas
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
John Bowlin
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
827 Posts

Profile of John Bowlin
3 full length mirrors for stand up practice and a roll of duct tape..under $20.
davisjr
View Profile
New user
Colorado
64 Posts

Profile of davisjr
Quote:
On 2005-10-14 22:59, Frank Tougas wrote:
What I have learned is I need to be paying more attention on my next trip to Walmart. It is a shame so many of you turned this into a quasi-political discussion but as one who enjoys a good laugh I suggest you put JibJab into your search engine and click on the video "Big Box Mart".

It will bolster the egos of the Walmart haters and for the rest of us who don't quite lean that far left, you'll just get a great laugh out of it.

Frank Tougas

For another great laugh, watch the South Park episode on the same topic. Too funny! The South Park residents trash the big box store because it is too big and isn't the "local store". Then the local store expands and grows to be as big as the big box store and is promptly trashed for the same reasons Smile Can't stop the market place. You'd also be hard pressed to find a store that contributes as much to local areas in times of need (ala Katrina)...
Richard Lucas
View Profile
Special user
TX fornow- MemberMagicCastle'65-'88
737 Posts

Profile of Richard Lucas
Quote:
On 2005-09-19 19:25, Julie wrote:
Quote:
On 2005-09-19 12:03, Julie wrote:

I've just discovered these rubber eye balls LIGHT UP when they're bounced on the table top! Smile

What department are they located? I looked for 1/2 hour without luck

Dick
"The only difference between a Card Cheat and a Magician is that the Magician shows off.".......... Jay Ose 1965

Dicklucas
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
Being in Iceland I miss Walmart.
magicmanila
View Profile
New user
Washington DC
88 Posts

Profile of magicmanila
Sorry I live in the boondocks, what are woolly nylons and what are they for, and what can "we" use them for aside from their general purpose?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
"If you are creative you can even buy coloring books to make the "magic" color book. Takes just a little time but well worth the effort, especially if you need it for a particular topic.

Blessings!
John
The Gospel Magic Man "
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hey that gives me a great idea!!!, I've used the magic coloring book ever since and still keep it, because of my knock out routine. (I've had parents see me after my show saying "never mind the doves, rabbits and the rest of your effects, how did you do the coloring book?") and I've worn out around 5 already, and As Soon As Possible I will be creating, and most importantly will be "coloring" my own custom made coloring book, to have that "normal" look. I have given it a little thought in the past but it didn't really quite sink in, up until now. thank you for putting the spark back back on the idea john!!!

greetings godfather sir, Rannie "The Manila Enforcer" Raymundo is my brother in magic and he speaks highly of you. KUDOS to all of you!!!
PERFORM MAGIC AND NOT "PUZZLES" so the audience wont try to "figure out how its done".

KEEP THE MAGIC ALIVE!!!
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Quote:
On 2005-10-27 20:42, magicmanila wrote:
Sorry I live in the boondocks, what are wooly nylons and what are they for, and what can "we" use them for aside from their general purpose?

Wooly nylon (not nylons) isn't something you wear to keep your legs warm. It's simply a type of sewing thread that doubles quite nicely as IT.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
aqmagish20
View Profile
Regular user
145 Posts

Profile of aqmagish20
In this thread, or another there was mention of coin holders at Walmart. Just want to repeat it for those that missed it. They are in the section where the digital cameras are. They are used normally for holding the little cards that go in your digital camera. Made by Case-Logic and great for silver dollars. Happy shopping.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2720 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2005-10-14 22:59, Frank Tougas wrote:

Frank Tougas

I was going to suggest that. I also ended up at Wal-Mart when my company down-sized. However, it didn't down-size so they could make the stuff "cheaper to sell to Big Box Mart." They down-sized because they got absorbed by a bigger company which liquidated the assets and sent the equipment and work to Minnesota and Iowa where they had bigger companies!
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
magicmanila
View Profile
New user
Washington DC
88 Posts

Profile of magicmanila
Got IT Dave!!! and I didn't even "BREAK" a sweat thinking about it, Smile thank you!
PERFORM MAGIC AND NOT "PUZZLES" so the audience wont try to "figure out how its done".

KEEP THE MAGIC ALIVE!!!
Cody Fisher
View Profile
Special user
884 Posts

Profile of Cody Fisher
If you go to the sewing section. I don't remember what they are called but there are metal rings that are used as guides for sewing or something that can be cut. A set of linking rings for less then 5 bux. They feel just like real ones too.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2720 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
If you're talking about the rings that clip together for embroidery, it's been suggest they be used as a production device. See Henry Hay's "Amateur Magician's Handbook" for suggestions on "tamborine coils." Can't really see them being useful as "linking rings" though!
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
robertmichaels
View Profile
New user
45 Posts

Profile of robertmichaels
Quote:
On 2005-02-04 18:42, sr9004 wrote:
I know I'm really late on this thread but I had to put my 2 cents in... I worked for Walmart back when Sam Walton was still alive and even then their idea of full time employment was only 29 hours a week. Hard to make a living on that.

Walmart is getting a lot of attention. I also used to work there at the distribution center and worked 3, 10hrs days a week. Not a good living. Working there was not great, but leaving was what started me going into Magic full time so I cannot complain. Smile I have to also agree that Fabric stores and thrift store yield good finds for me. However I pick up stuff where ever I find them, just about any place is a magic shop, especially a Fair, I picked up a nice leather cigarette case from a purse vendor that works well as a close up pouch that holds my entire walk around act. At a pier I bought a wallet that was easily modified into a card to wallet prop, complete with the card appearing in a zippered compartment.
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
run off by a mob of Villagers wielding
2108 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
Around here we have the Ocean State Job Lot. They buy closeouts and liquidations so you never know what will show up each week.
Recently purchased a neat pewter finish cup that was screaming "Chop me!" so I did and it came out great. - Less than $3.
"The secret of life is to look good from a distance."
-Charles Schulz
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Walmart (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL