The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Name of packet Do as I Do (sort of)? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
1370 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Hi folks,

A friend on the Café just showed me a great packet trick in which the magician and spectator each have four cards, and the spectator mimics the actions of the magician -- each holds her cards face down and counts through them, and yet one of them always ends up with one card face up, while the other doesn't. There are three phases, and the same card turns face up each time. The trick uses a DL or two and an Elmsley count. Does anyone recognize this trick? My friend didn't remember the trick's name, so I'd be grateful to learn the name and a source to learn the trick.

Thanks,

Bob
dj
View Profile
Special user
789 Posts

Profile of dj
I think I'm pretty sure this routine is from Paul Daniels.
mlippo
View Profile
Inner circle
Trieste (Italy)
1007 Posts

Profile of mlippo
Vernon's Variant. Had two phases. I found it in Ultimate Card Secrets , by Lewis Ganson.

Johnny Thompson teaches the three phase routine (the one you describe) in a video. Can't remember which one.

Mark
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
3168 Posts

Profile of warren
This link might be of interest to you Bob

https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view......orum=201
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
1370 Posts

Profile of Bob G
DJ, Mark, Warren,

Thanks to you all -- all very helpful. Mark, I have L&L's 4-disk series, Johnny Thompson: Commercial Classics of Magic. None of the titles *sounds* like it would be this trick, but I'll check out the disks. Not all of the tricks are card tricks, so that narrows the search. I'm a big fan of his version of the Biddle Trick, so I'm definitely interested in seeing what he adds to the trick. As always, it's interesting to hear how many different magician a trick gets attributed to -- so many variations.

Bob
stickmondoo
View Profile
Loyal user
256 Posts

Profile of stickmondoo
David Williamson has a great version of Vernons Varient on his Vimeo lecture. I think it’s called Chicago Lecture notes. It is a video lecture. Really good stuff on it.
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
3168 Posts

Profile of warren
Quote:
On Feb 9, 2019, stickmondoo wrote:
David Williamson has a great version of Vernons Varient on his Vimeo lecture. I think it’s called Chicago Lecture notes. It is a video lecture. Really good stuff on it.

So what is it that he's added to enhance the effect as I've always thought it lacked an ending ?
Dollarbill
View Profile
Special user
Colorado
880 Posts

Profile of Dollarbill
Quote:
On Feb 8, 2019, mlippo wrote:
Vernon's Variant. Had two phases. I found it in Ultimate Card Secrets , by Lewis Ganson.

Johnny Thompson teaches the three phase routine (the one you describe) in a video. Can't remember which one.

Mark

Lybrary.com. And only $6 bucks!

https://www.lybrary.com/vernons-variant-p-22691.html
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
1370 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Thanks Dollarbill! Weirdly, I happened on it this morning and downloaded it. Haven't had a chance to watch yet. Much appreciated. Six "dollarbills" -- the price was right. Smile
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
1370 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Between PM's and the Johnny Thompson video I have exactly what I like to have: a written description and a video. Many thanks everybody! And Stickmondo, I'lll look for Williamson's lecture.

Warren, Steve Keyl, who first showed me the trick, had a nice presentation that I thought made for a good ending: have the spectator's card only turn face-up twice, but then the third time the spectator and magician exchange packets, and this time the same card turns face up in the magician's hands. The premise is that the card is cursed, so that it doesn't matter who's doing the handling.
Dollarbill
View Profile
Special user
Colorado
880 Posts

Profile of Dollarbill
Library.com ..... Keep it in mind. it is an excellent resource. And customer service is like most! Second to none!
supremefiction
View Profile
Loyal user
224 Posts

Profile of supremefiction
Lybrary.com (note spelling) is highly recommended.

See there also Allan Ackerman:

https://www.lybrary.com/variants-variant-p-17961.html
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
1370 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Hi DB and supremefiction, I'm a huge fan of Lybrary. Supreme, judging from the description, Ackerman's trick is in a different family from the ones I'm talking about -- though it sounds fun in its own right. I put it in my wishlist for possible future mischief.

Bob
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Name of packet Do as I Do (sort of)? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL