The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » How good can an hobby magician become? (18 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Laughing
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Laughing
My tuppence worth as a fairly new amateur. A couple of weeks ago we had a "bring your kid to work" day. There was a magician there among other entertainers. He did nothing I couldn't do with cards, and he did it no better, technically than I could, he just did it with so much aplomb.

He also segued beautifully when the kids "screwed him over".

Interestingly enough when I was talking to him, he told me he wasn't really a kids magician and he was terrified, much more so than he would have been at a corporate gig doing walk around.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8364 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I wonder WHY he booked the "bring your kid to work" gig, if he knew he was not a "kids magician"!

As a full timer, I produced an act (45 minutes, and, occasionally 60 minutes) that could, and did, play for almost any group, almost anywhere. I did it coast to coast and border to border, for 50 years, successfully. I knew enough. however, to refuse engagements occasionally. E.g.: I was laying off in California, for the Holidays in Sacramento. I was enjoying the break, after almost 200 shows in the fall. A man who was opening a new night club, called. He wanted me to work 45 minutes on New Years Eve at 11 PM. I turned it down. The money was GOOD, but, I knew I would be working for a a crowd of drunks. They would not be in the "almost any group", that I normally worked for.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
1666 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Good for you, Dick, for knowing when not to to accept an engagement. But Laughing is describing a different situation. It sounds like the magician handled himself and his audience well. My guess is that he was trying to stretch himself. That's how you learn, no? (And in some cases how you learn *not* to do certain things.)
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
3484 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
I love working for so called drunks , it’s the kids who catch you out more imo lol Gaz 🙂
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8364 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
No! Kids don't 'catch me out". Maybe they "catch YOU out", but not me!

And, "he was terrified".
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
3484 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
Sorry no I didn’t mean you , I meant kids have a habit of following magicians around at weddings etc to keep
trying to watch again and again .
They also get on the floor and look upwards at cards when you have say a face down packet trick when you are showing someone else etc .
I just mean I actually find them harder to control than my adult audience .
I don't do kids magic but obviously on occasions they are just at gigs with their parents and I find they ask too many questions an adult just wouldn’t .
Anyway I admit kids magicians are worth their weight in gold but I find them ( the kids ) harder work on the occasions they follow me around at a gig as if I am the pied piper Gaz 🙂
Laughing
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Laughing
Dick, I suppose he took the kids gig for money, rightly or wrongly, we all gotta eat I suppose. As for working with kids,I find they are much harder to misdirect as they often haven't developed the social "niceties" that make simple misdirection work, for example asking them a question, "what's your name again?" won't necessarily make them look up at your eyes.

I volunteer at a local hospital in a kids ward and you learn what works and doesn't. Asking a question of a 7 year old won't distract them, a stupid joke will. Gaz is right, one of the things I find is in the play room when you are working with a small audience, the kids will often walk right up to you and look all around you. Once you get used to this you can work around it. You need a certain amount of control of children when working in a casual environment. In a more formal environment on a stage for example you don't encounter that.

How off topic have we got!
JoshDude849
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of JoshDude849
Quote:
On Feb 7, 2019, Signet wrote:
The answer to your question is destined by your determination. With practice, dedication and time, you can become as good as any professional. It's really up to you. Realistically, very few of us are going to be Penn&Teller. As a close up magician, you can really entertain people. There are many tricks that are not too difficult to learn that will blow people's minds. These will also usually put a smile on their faces. What's that worth you?
For me this makes all the effort I put into learning magic worth the trouble. This past weekend, I attended a hockey game. During intermission, I noticed a man in a wheelchair all by himself. Two people had arrived with him, but they left him in the handicapped area. They had seats closer to the ice. I went up to him and asked if he'd like to see a magic trick. He nodded yes and I did five minutes of vanishing and reappearing a silk in odd places. He was thrilled. This was evident by the smile and look of wonder on his face. For those couple minutes, he forgot his troubles and enjoyed himself. I bet he enjoyed my impromptu show more than the game. He thanked me and I was on my way. I bet he had a story to tell his caregivers. I do stuff like this all the time. This is why I do magic.

That's fantastic man! Kudos to you!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » How good can an hobby magician become? (18 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL