The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Favourite table hopping opener (10 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
aks
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of aks
Hello,

It's been a fair few years since I've performed but after meeting with another Magic Café member last night we are setting a date in March to do an evening of table hopping in Dublin.
We have some great routines but one discussion we had about an opener.. Any suggestions of short, sweet yet captivating routines to open with?

Thanks,

Adam
Smoking Camel
View Profile
Special user
UK
969 Posts

Profile of Smoking Camel
Word association by Colin cloud in his divine book.
I no longer smoke camel cigarettes.
DynaMix
View Profile
Inner circle
1110 Posts

Profile of DynaMix
I personally think it’s hard to beat a PM die in this specific situation. Especially if you have a table to roll it on.
Mark Timon
View Profile
Veteran user
358 Posts

Profile of Mark Timon
Table hopping mentalism? Good luck with that!
Christopher Taylor
View Profile
V.I.P.
British Columbia Canada
2052 Posts

Profile of Christopher Taylor
Quote:
On Feb 8, 2019, Mark Timon wrote:
Table hopping mentalism? Good luck with that!


It works and it works really well (ask Banachek). Personally, I've been performing table hopping mentalism at a restaurant every week for the past 7 years. In that time, I have developed an approach that eases the table into the more "heavy mental" aspects of my performance. Firstly, I have a good sized, professionally made, sign indicating that there is an mystery-entertainer performing in the restaurant positioned so that it cannot be missed as diners come in the door. I will not go into the opening lines I use when I approach a table but I will say that because mentalism can get quite intense, I structure the contents of my set entirely on the reactions of the group as the effects get stranger. It means you must be VERY flexible and anyone who has followed my releases over the past few years will know that a lot of that material is geared for this venue. I almost always open with a very fun and totally baffling presentation of flipping a borrowed pair of glasses (or my own if I have to) on the table. This shows that I know my stuff and have something interesting to offer; the group's reaction also tells me how open they are to me. AND,it serves as a kind of disclaimer.

Christopher
Christopher Taylor

Member P.E.A.

www.taylorimagineering.com

MAKING MENTALISM MORE IMPOSSIBLE
RodrigoGrando
View Profile
Regular user
Ireland
137 Posts

Profile of RodrigoGrando
Quote:
On Feb 8, 2019, Christopher Taylor wrote:
It works and it works really well (ask Banachek). Personally, I've been performing table hopping mentalism at a restaurant every week for the past 7 years. In that time, I have developed an approach that eases the table into the more "heavy mental" aspects of my performance. Firstly, I have a good sized, professionally made, sign indicating that there is an mystery-entertainer performing in the restaurant positioned so that it cannot be missed as diners come in the door. I will not go into the opening lines I use when I approach a table but I will say that because mentalism can get quite intense, I structure the contents of my set entirely on the reactions of the group as the effects get stranger. It means you must be VERY flexible and anyone who has followed my releases over the past few years will know that a lot of that material is geared for this venue. I almost always open with a very fun and totally baffling presentation of flipping a borrowed pair of glasses (or my own if I have to) on the table. This shows that I know my stuff and have something interesting to offer; the group's reaction also tells me how open they are to me. AND,it serves as a kind of disclaimer.

Christopher


Thanks for your reply, Christopher!

I'm the other Dublin Mentalist that Adam is referring to on his initial post.

I'm a big fan of your work - I've watched your Penguin Lecture and the At The Table.

Please allow me to ask you one more thing - do you perform PK Touches on this setting? If so, using Geist?

Thanks!
Rodrigo.
aligator
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2043 Posts

Profile of aligator
Multi Dimensional. I have used this extensively in table hopping.
RodrigoGrando
View Profile
Regular user
Ireland
137 Posts

Profile of RodrigoGrando
Quote:
On Feb 8, 2019, aligator wrote:
Multi Dimensional. I have used this extensively in table hopping.


Do you use it in conjunction with a c****r t**r?
aligator
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2043 Posts

Profile of aligator
No. I generally don't do CT's. I have several other effects for table hopping: mental die mensional, tequila hustler, rock/paper/lies, brass coin casket, visionary cards, first kiss, powerball.......
aligator
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2043 Posts

Profile of aligator
I should have included Destination Unknown on that list. It can be done standing up as well as on table.
Christopher Taylor
View Profile
V.I.P.
British Columbia Canada
2052 Posts

Profile of Christopher Taylor
Quote:
On Feb 8, 2019, RodrigoGrando wrote:

Please allow me to ask you one more thing - do you perform PK Touches on this setting? If so, using Geist?

Thanks!
Rodrigo.


Thanks for the kind words. I do do PK touch with Geist at the restaurant but only when the owner tells me there is a VIP reservation and asks me do do something special. I will then pick a chair to set at their table before they arrive and away I go. Other than that, I will occasionally use my Qi Touch method when things are right.

Christopher
Christopher Taylor

Member P.E.A.

www.taylorimagineering.com

MAKING MENTALISM MORE IMPOSSIBLE
aks
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of aks
Thanks for all the suggestions and the responses. Looking forward to getting back out there and performing. The routine will have a fair bit of trial and error in to start with but your suggestions have definitely helped.
Lior
View Profile
Inner circle
1814 Posts

Profile of Lior
The original Invisible Touches (Lior Manor) and PK touches Banachek
Real Die (Craig Filicetti
Name revelation (many)

Invisible deck
Passcode braking by Michael Murray
Lifing eyeglasses with L***p
Palm reading
Which hand
Spoon bending
Watch and swatch
Free will
DFB
WikiTest
SvenPads
And hundreds more effects and routines
Talk To The Screen. The best effect for professionals
http://www.theliortouch.com

The Invisble touches , spoon bending, PK combinations
8 loops from Yigal Mesika http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/8161

Penguin Live lecture http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/7645
PEA Dave Lederman Award 2009
PEA Dunninger Award 2001
Life Time Achivmeant IUPA 2016
Elizabeth Brookes
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of Elizabeth Brookes
I usually start with some metal bending.

"Sorry to bother you, I was sat at the table over there and my cutlery seems to be doing some really strange things, here watch....."

It's about halfway through the routine when I admit I am paid to entertain them but by then they are already hooked and want to see more.

I always approach just after the waiter or waitress has taken their order when there is already a natural gap in the conversation.

Liz.
aks
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of aks
Quote:
On Feb 12, 2019, Lior wrote:
The original Invisible Touches (Lior Manor) and PK touches Banachek
Real Die (Craig Filicetti
Name revelation (many)

Invisible deck
Passcode braking by Michael Murray
Lifing eyeglasses with L***p
Palm reading
Which hand
Spoon bending
Watch and swatch
Free will
DFB
WikiTest
SvenPads
And hundreds more effects and routines


Thanks Lior, appreciate the support.

I purchased some of your material a couple of weeks back which I'm working through. Very impressive and some nice subtleties.
aks
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of aks
Quote:
On Feb 13, 2019, Elizabeth Brookes wrote:
I usually start with some metal bending.

"Sorry to bother you, I was sat at the table over there and my cutlery seems to be doing some really strange things, here watch....."

It's about halfway through the routine when I admit I am paid to entertain them but by then they are already hooked and want to see more.

I always approach just after the waiter or waitress has taken their order when there is already a natural gap in the conversation.

Liz.


Thanks Liz, I'll give it ago once I'm more confident at metal bending.
Mark Timon
View Profile
Veteran user
358 Posts

Profile of Mark Timon
This is why people doesn't take magic seriously and regard it not as an art but a cheap entertaiment. I don't know of other art form that is performed in front of a table , full of people that they don't even ask for that. If an opera singer would do the same and start singing out of the blue we all feel it as out of line.
aks
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of aks
Quote:
On Feb 14, 2019, Mark Timon wrote:
This is why people doesn't take magic seriously and regard it not as an art but a cheap entertaiment. I don't know of other art form that is performed in front of a table , full of people that they don't even ask for that. If an opera singer would do the same and start singing out of the blue we all feel it as out of line.


There are piano's at random locations throughout London, no one asks anyone to play but when someone does, they do a good job people appreciate it and applaud it. You will always get people who don't value things but I'm sure if Derren Brown or Dynamo walked into a bar/restaurant people wouldn't call them "cheap" entertainment or feel out of line.


Also relating it to an opera singer who would bellow their heart out and be the center of attention in the venue as opposed to just a table. Also a table could decline entertainment if they wished but it is slightly different.
GlennLawrence
View Profile
Regular user
Randolph NJ
110 Posts

Profile of GlennLawrence
Quote:
On Feb 14, 2019, Mark Timon wrote:
This is why people doesn't take magic seriously and regard it not as an art but a cheap entertaiment. I don't know of other art form that is performed in front of a table , full of people that they don't even ask for that. If an opera singer would do the same and start singing out of the blue we all feel it as out of line.


Using your own example I have been to restaurants where there is live tableside musical entertainment, whether it be a violinist in an Italian restaurant or a Mariachi band in a Mexican Cantina, or even the little old guy who played fiddle and told off-color jokes at a certain steakhouse on the lower east side of Manhattan. Out of line? I think not! Magic will be art no matter where performed as long as the magician presents in such a way that he/she is seen as an artist. Magicians who are hacks will be seen as such regardless of venue.
Lemniscate
View Profile
Inner circle
United States
2152 Posts

Profile of Lemniscate
I agree with Glenn, Mark's feelings are valid as his opinion but there are many examples where performers perform in front of tables, and/or while people are eating, and/or on an ad hoc basis. Literally 2 minutes worth of thought should have brought table side music to mind (2 minutes being more than generous to be honest).

But hey, let's pay attention to the real lesson here: if a PERFORMER thinks this, when he should obviously know better, then clearly some of the people one might perform for would feel the same way.

As a matter of context, I knew an art history major in school (currently a curator somewhere in Los Angeles) who felt that anyone who sold art at a store in the mall wasn't really an artist. Once really high end artists started doing it, she changed her tune but again, just something to keep in mind.
The true test of a man's character is what he does when no one is watching. -John Wooden
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Favourite table hopping opener (10 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL