The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Double lift help (11 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Rupert Pupkin
View Profile
Inner circle
1452 Posts

Profile of Rupert Pupkin
I kid, I kid. We all know you get away with stuff nobody else could -- including underpass-sized breaks! It’s a gift.
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Great! We all do love a kidder. And we all know that nobody - nobody - can kid better/smarter/more subtly than you can.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
Bobby Forbes
View Profile
Inner circle
virginia beach, VA.
1569 Posts

Profile of Bobby Forbes
Quote:
On Feb 25, 2019, Harry Lorayne wrote:
You're right, Bobby, I had a "count" in mind. Of course, I occasionally hold a pinky break, but the way I get to it for a DL is to simply spread in an indicatory way as I patter, and catch the pinky break under the top two cards as I square. Again, it's a pinky count that I find undependable.

I get a break for a double the same way 99% of the time as well. The easiest and most reliable way IMO.
HeronsHorse
View Profile
Loyal user
Scotland
207 Posts

Profile of HeronsHorse
Teddyboy, correct!
My mistake. My brain said pinky count and my mouth/fingers said/typed pinky break.
Oops.
Pinky count is not beginner stuff.
Pinky break on the other hand...child's play Smile
Quote of the Month
Those who think that magic consists of doing tricks are strangers to magic. Tricks are only the crude residue from which the lifeblood of magic has been drained."
- S.H. Sharpe
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1428 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
Thanks, Harry, for: Of course, I occasionally hold a pinky break, but the way I get to it for a DL is to simply spread in an indicatory way as I patter, and catch the pinky break under the top two cards as I square. Again, it's a pinky count that I find undependable.

That is what I was referring to in Card College but did not want to give it away. You can also do the spread, and a break when a card "in play "
is off the deck.
Thanks Heron's horse. The original post mentions trouble controlling the card after the turnover. That is why I was referring to a pinky break.... solves a lot of problems. But it is not always taught well in terms of how to hold it, transfer it, etc....
J Christensen
View Profile
Regular user
130 Posts

Profile of J Christensen
Since 1977, I have used a no-get-ready, riffle-up double lift since finding the sleight described in Harvey Rosenthal’s Close-Up Sampler, Part Two. The double is snapped face up end for end. It’s very disarming.
Rupert Pupkin
View Profile
Inner circle
1452 Posts

Profile of Rupert Pupkin
Quote:
On Feb 26, 2019, J Christensen wrote:
Since 1977, I have used a no-get-ready, riffle-up double lift since finding the sleight described in Harvey Rosenthal’s Close-Up Sampler, Part Two. The double is snapped face up end for end. It’s very disarming.

Turning over singles that way sounds exhausting.
lord_wallmotto
View Profile
Loyal user
291 Posts

Profile of lord_wallmotto
Learn to pinky count.

Real men use the pinky count combined with the DL from CC2. That combo is known as "the real man DL" and keeps the card aligned.
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Guess I'm a "fake man"!

Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Been "fake" for about eight decades doing close-up card magic - 'cause I never used a pinky count.
What nonsense!!

Rupert Pupkin
View Profile
Inner circle
1452 Posts

Profile of Rupert Pupkin
Quote:
On Feb 26, 2019, lord_wallmotto wrote:
Learn to pinky count.

Real men use the pinky count combined with the DL from CC2. That combo is known as "the real man DL" and keeps the card aligned.

I just cringed so hard my eyeballs wrinkled.
HeronsHorse
View Profile
Loyal user
Scotland
207 Posts

Profile of HeronsHorse
Quote:
Learn to pinky count.

Pathetic troll moron. Grow up.
Quote of the Month
Those who think that magic consists of doing tricks are strangers to magic. Tricks are only the crude residue from which the lifeblood of magic has been drained."
- S.H. Sharpe
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
I think that two very important things are one pick a technique for it and stick with it ie don't use different variations at least not until you can do your chosen method perfectly without even having to think about it in all conditions and two make sure you turn over a single card in the exact same way that you turn over the double.
HeronsHorse
View Profile
Loyal user
Scotland
207 Posts

Profile of HeronsHorse
Quote:
On Feb 27, 2019, warren wrote:
I think that two very important things are one pick a technique for it and stick with it ie don't use different variations at least not until you can do your chosen method perfectly without even having to think about it in all conditions and two make sure you turn over a single card in the exact same way that you turn over the double.

I tend to agree with you. Pick a very basic method and get it down good. Then I wanted to explore it as much as I could, hence the Al Schneider stuff and things like that, to enable a confidence in different approaches so that I could decide on the most stealthy and efficient one for me.
I realise that only the first part is necessary, I just love exploring a move!
Quote of the Month
- S.H. Sharpe
lord_wallmotto
View Profile
Loyal user
291 Posts

Profile of lord_wallmotto
Maybe we come from different schools but where I grew up I was always told that real card men does two things. The Pass and the Pinky count.

Im not saying that that is the only way to think about it, but that is my experience. Don't shoot the messenger.

No need to be rude.

"pathetic moron troll", How classy.
HeronsHorse
View Profile
Loyal user
Scotland
207 Posts

Profile of HeronsHorse
Whether you think I am classy or not is immaterial to me.
Real card men?
Are you in the right decade?
There's no such thing as " the real man double lift", published or mythology. Only in your head.
Ok so not a troll, just a moron. Or a fool. Or both.
Quote of the Month
- S.H. Sharpe
Rupert Pupkin
View Profile
Inner circle
1452 Posts

Profile of Rupert Pupkin
Quote:
On Feb 27, 2019, HeronsHorse wrote:
Are you in the right decade?

Ha! You took the words right out of my mouth. We're still saying this sh!t in 2019? Cripes.
magicwiia
View Profile
Regular user
120 Posts

Profile of magicwiia
Great advice from everyone. I've been working a lot on just a basic double lift and feel like I'm making progress. Like anything else in life, you can get 80% to a specific goal reasonably quickly but the remaining 20% takes years or decades of dedicated practice to perfect it.

As I've viewed the myriad of techniques (and styles) out there, one really interests me. If I were to give someone a deck of cards and ask them to deal them, or turnover a card, everyone pushes over the top card with their thumb. I've tried that with all of my family and friends and that's what everyone does. SO, to use a technique that will mimic what they do will likely have the best chance of fooling them.

I've looked at different two-card, push-off methods. Jason England, in the video I bought, demonstrates Martin Nash's knockout DL. It works by means of using a pivot point at the base of the thumb and pushing two cards near the corner of the deck.

There is another two-card, push-off method whose mechanics are completely different. It is looks very smooth and natural to my eyes.

https://52kards.com/video/pushover-double-lift/

I realize both of these are advanced methods but I'd like to chose one and practice it. Would you recommend the Martin Nash knockout DL or the one in the video above? Which of the two is the more difficult?
The Burnaby Kid
View Profile
Inner circle
St. John's, Canada
3158 Posts

Profile of The Burnaby Kid
Quote:
Learn to pinky count.

This. This right here is why I can't quit the Magic Café, no matter how hard I try. Thank you, THANK YOU, for this.
JACK, the Jolly Almanac of Card Knavery, a free card magic resource for beginners.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
I've been working a lot on just a basic double lift and feel like I'm making progress. Like anything else in life, you can get 80% to a specific goal reasonably quickly but the remaining 20% takes years or decades of dedicated practice to perfect it.

This is on the right track, because you're starting to look at your learning process.

Here's something I wrote on another thread that I think is applicable here:

The hard part of being a beginner in anything, be it learning a musical instrument or writing a book is not having a sense of what your learning curve will be. After a while though, you'll be able to understand your own process and not get too freaked out when you seem to hit a snag."OH, okay this is the point where it seems impossible; now I understand what to do, but I just can't get it; Oh, look, I can do it now; then it all falls apart and it's crap; now I give up for a week and then come back to it, hey--it's looking better; uh-oh, no I'm flashing who am I fooling," and so on.

It's a process. One thing we don't do well in schools is teaching students how to learn and what to expect on the path. It's a process. Eventually you'll find what your own learning pattern is. Once you do, you'll accomplish more because you won't give up before the cake is baked.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Double lift help (11 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL