The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Double lift help (11 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
Roberto Juan
View Profile
New user
Sacramento, California
45 Posts

Profile of Roberto Juan
Quote:
On Feb 27, 2019, landmark wrote:

One thing we don't do well in schools is teaching students how to learn and what to expect on the path.

Good point.

Teachers and schools generally focus more on memorizing information than applying theories, methods, and concepts to the real world. And teachers rarely promote the process of self-evaluation as a technique to helps students pursue goals and become skilled decision-makers.
J Christensen
View Profile
Regular user
130 Posts

Profile of J Christensen
It’s amazing how vitriolic some can get over a double lift discussion. Get a grip!
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1428 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
Yes, Harry, you are right. Who really needs the pinky count. But if you do it and it works, I am happy for you.
Recently I watched a Penguin live performance. The spectator was looking right at the cards. The pinky count was kind of obvious , with the deck being bent and cards springing up. Sometimes people choose a harder, more obvious method over something subtle, nearly invisible and simple. But if it works for you--that is what matters.
HeronsHorse
View Profile
Loyal user
Scotland
207 Posts

Profile of HeronsHorse
Quote:
On Feb 27, 2019, J Christensen wrote:
It’s amazing how vitriolic some can get over a double lift discussion. Get a grip!

Yep, very important to get a proper grip.
Good point.
Quote of the Month
Those who think that magic consists of doing tricks are strangers to magic. Tricks are only the crude residue from which the lifeblood of magic has been drained."
- S.H. Sharpe
The Burnaby Kid
View Profile
Inner circle
St. John's, Canada
3158 Posts

Profile of The Burnaby Kid
Quote:
On Feb 27, 2019, J Christensen wrote:

Hey man, I thought the comment was marvellous. Don't you dare accuse me of vitriolicis... vitriolictr... whatever it is I think you're accusing me of.

Quote:
On Feb 27, 2019, countrymaven wrote:
Recently I watched a Penguin live performance. The spectator was looking right at the cards. The pinky count was kind of obvious , with the deck being bent and cards springing up. Sometimes people choose a harder, more obvious method over something subtle, nearly invisible and simple. But if it works for you--that is what matters.

I think this is an important point that goes in more than one direction. Gesturing with the hand holding the deck can cover a pinky count no problem. In fact, gesturing with the hand holding the deck can cover a THUMB count no problem, and misdirection is pretty safe to apply... after all, what could you possibly be doing with your hand at that moment? As a result, you can get the break, do what you need, and you've got (in my opinion) a cleaner DL than what's gotten by that rear-corner-drag-up-with-index-finger-thingy. Official name for that DL method, Rupert, if you please...
JACK, the Jolly Almanac of Card Knavery, a free card magic resource for beginners.
magicwiia
View Profile
Regular user
120 Posts

Profile of magicwiia
I've been working on the push-off double lift. Crazy hard. Those who can do it are superstars. My quest is to imitate how lay people handle cards while doing a DL.

For the time being, until I can learn to two-card,push-off method, what I'm doing is a fake double-push off. I get a break in the cards and do a routine DL but I purposely make it look like I'm pushing the cards with my thumb when I'm really pulling them with my opposite hand. While I'm learning one, it seems to this total novice, that I can maybe bluff my way through a DL where people think I'm sliding the cards with my thumb.

I'm trying to go from black to white through shades of gray. Any thoughts about the "fake" push off?
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On Mar 1, 2019, magicwiia wrote:
I've been working on the push-off double lift. Crazy hard. Those who can do it are superstars. My quest is to imitate how lay people handle cards while doing a DL.

For the time being, until I can learn to two-card,push-off method, what I'm doing is a fake double-push off. I get a break in the cards and do a routine DL but I purposely make it look like I'm pushing the cards with my thumb when I'm really pulling them with my opposite hand. While I'm learning one, it seems to this total novice, that I can maybe bluff my way through a DL where people think I'm sliding the cards with my thumb.

I'm trying to go from black to white through shades of gray. Any thoughts about the "fake" push off?

There are many "fake pushoff" techniques including one of the best ever by Dai Vernon. You can see it used expertly by David Williamson and Michael Ammar.
Here is a different style I've done for quite some time:

https://youtu.be/MtivFz_fYjc
magicwiia
View Profile
Regular user
120 Posts

Profile of magicwiia
Nice style Magic fish. Very smooth.
magicwiia
View Profile
Regular user
120 Posts

Profile of magicwiia
I spent the past two hours just trying to push off the top two cards. Not sure where I read it, or saw it, but someone spoke about feeling the cards underneath with my middle and ring finger. I closed my eyes and practiced trying to slide two cards off and feeling the two fingers underneath act as a stop for the third card. Pulling back the third card while pushing out the top two.

Wow, what a cool feeling that is. It's still in its infancy stage but it is one step toward that which I thought was not possible to do.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On Mar 1, 2019, magicwiia wrote:
Nice style Magic fish. Very smooth.

Thank you!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Double lift help (11 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL