The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » Torrales Bottom Deal (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Hippie
View Profile
New user
Florida
69 Posts

Profile of Hippie
It's been a minute since I have been to the Café and even longer since I contributed something to magic. Recently I was reached by a individual on Facebook that wanted to know if I had video on my Bottom Deal published in Wesley James "Pasteboard Perpensions" 1990. I realized it has never been filmed. Now I have been lucky to have demonstrated it to quite a few classic card men (Lorayne, Krenzel, Maze, Ortiz, Ascanio etc....) and apparently all have said it was a original handling. I personally cannot fathom that. I will say I have not come across it in print accept for a version mentioned in David Britland & Gazzo's "Phantoms of The Card Table" 2003 under Preferred Bottom Deal. The grip is somewhat the same but the loosening of the bottom card is different. Because this individual asked and because I'm getting on in age I figured it is time to archive it in video for serious study and so it may not be lost to future generations. Here is the Torrales Bottom Deal video.

Enjoy And Hope It Adds to The Serious Cardman's Arsenal, Hippie Torrales

https://youtu.be/3LLz4fy8Qzw (Top exposed view)

https://youtu.be/0Edd2nbjtw0 (Exposed Bottom View)
Hippie
View Profile
New user
Florida
69 Posts

Profile of Hippie
Sorry: I put as private thinking you can see it without a youtube account. Does not work like that. I updated to unlisted. You should be able to see it now. Surprised no one at least mentioned it wasn't viewable. Smile
Peterson
View Profile
Regular user
159 Posts

Profile of Peterson
So the action is in the pinky.. very nice deal indeed!
bakerkn
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of bakerkn
Hippie, thanks so much for sharing these. I bought Pasteboard Perpensions over 20 years ago to get the handling but could never get the feel for it, so if you have any additional videos, photos or tips I'd find it invaluable. In particular, it always felt as if my pinky was too long, so I'd be interesting to hear more about the grip and positioning.

Thanks for bring a myth to life.

Best,

Kevin
Hippie
View Profile
New user
Florida
69 Posts

Profile of Hippie
Quote:
On Feb 10, 2019, bakerkn wrote:
Hippie, thanks so much for sharing these. I bought Pasteboard Perpensions over 20 years ago to get the handling but could never get the feel for it, so if you have any additional videos, photos or tips I'd find it invaluable. In particular, it always felt as if my pinky was too long, so I'd be interesting to hear more about the grip and positioning.

Thanks for bring a myth to life.

Best,

Kevin

Kevin: I cannot find mine but I put up a video on MVD a few years back showing the deal in action. Hopefully someone grabbed a copy and can put it up in this post. As far as the deal the forefinger is in sort of a hook position on the front corner. There isn't much of it under the cards. It is controlling the whole pack. You should be able to remove all other fingers away from the pack and with forefinger and pinky still have control. You can in fact bend the second and middle fingers in under the pack and still deal like this. The pinky is under the back right corner. It sticks out a little over that corner with my fingers and only the skin touches the cards not your nail. You can practice by holding your hand flat and bending your pinky finger up and in so it is pointing up. Hope that helps.
Hippie
View Profile
New user
Florida
69 Posts

Profile of Hippie
Kevin also take into account I do the deal with a little bit over half the deck only. Never a full deck.
bakerkn
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of bakerkn
Thanks for the tips Hippie. And thanks again for sharing.
Cagliostro
View Profile
Inner circle
2478 Posts

Profile of Cagliostro
Certainly a unique way of pushing off the bottom card using the little finger. I have never seen it done that way before. I would think it would be very difficult for most to master this type bottom deal and don't really see any advantage over a more standard bottom deal except perhaps reducing the flash that some may have when pushing off with the middle or ring finger.

Interesting. Thanks for sharing.
popcalinda
View Profile
Veteran user
336 Posts

Profile of popcalinda
Very nice! Smile
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
They looked pretty awful to me.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Hippie
View Profile
New user
Florida
69 Posts

Profile of Hippie
Lol Thx Tommy. It wasn't meant to be a training video. Some guy asked for video on technique and put something together in 3 minutes. I do remember putting a performed video of it on MVD and you enjoying.
Quote:
On Apr 22, 2005, tommy wrote:
I like it Hippie. It looks a little bit like the way I deal only you can see my pinky. My take is different.
Thanks for showing it and I will get the book.

I can't find my copy I'm hoping someone from here has a copy somewhere and can put it up. It was much better then this quick exposure.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
I guess it would look bad if one is one is only trying to expose the method. Smile
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Hippie
View Profile
New user
Florida
69 Posts

Profile of Hippie
Does anyone have the old MVD videos in their collections? I really would appreciate a copy of my Bottom deal. 14 years later and about 30tb of info later I can't find mine. Thank you in advance.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » Torrales Bottom Deal (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL