The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Totally Hands Off by Dani DaOrtiz (23 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Maxyedid
View Profile
Special user
Panama
598 Posts

Profile of Maxyedid
The problem seems to be that the “shuffling” is actually the “method” 😊

How do you get a selected card to a certain position without touching the deck?...
Have a nice day
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
8250 Posts

Profile of pegasus
The whole point of ACAAN is the utter simplicity of the effect. Think of a number. Now think of a card. Wallop. Job done. Astonishment etc.

This is the complete opposite.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12049 Posts

Profile of John C
Gotta be more to it than that? I don't think they showed the entire thing.
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
Jared
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island, USA
1275 Posts

Profile of Jared
I don't know how this is accomplished, but don't care either. There's too many phases to reach the end result. It feels too convoluted (What just happened?). I like a lot of Dani's material, but this release misses the mark.
paperinick
View Profile
Inner circle
my faro is starting to look nice after
1140 Posts

Profile of paperinick
No, I agree, it's not the Holy Grail but I would say it qualifies as a SCCAAN.
I like Dani's stuff, I would never be able to pull some of this off. Also it requires a partially gimmicked deck, so it's more a one-off trick for me. But geez, I really love the way this guy thinks.
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death my right to say "scr*w you" if you persist. [Voltaire Smile]
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1822 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
Quote:
On Feb 15, 2019, JanForster wrote:
Imagine this what we should do all the time: A "normal layperson" has seen this routine... now (a bit later) you ask him to tell you what he has seen... it is Dai Vernon's philosophy... Jan


Yes, this is a great philosophy, something always to keep in mind.
Ramon M
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of Ramon M
What is important is that there is some form of dramatic bow. That bow doesn't need to be an isolated idea of the magic effect.
It can be a lot of shared interaction and then finding a selected card at a named number.
And maybe that shared, interaction part is what makes this effect interesting and different from the often more mechanical versions.
It's marketed as 'hands off', but it is actually very much hands on.

Like some others already mentioned, this feels like a Spanish school version of the effect.

Still don't know if I like the effect, because the trailer was not that clear.
no2ss
View Profile
Special user
California
538 Posts

Profile of no2ss
So it's not the exact same effect, but this looks to be very much based on the trick that he did in his Penguin Live Act where the full performance (not explanation) is seen here at around 22 minutes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crXkdg9UtSY

The reveal on this one is a bit different, as it's not an ACAAN, but I believe it's basically the same trick (at least for the initial part -- it's just the reveal that's switched to an ACAAN reveal, rather than the one in the video where you just eliminate cards down to a single card). So you can see the entire performance and how he makes the process entertaining. Not my style (at all) but it is totally possible to make such a trick very entertaining even with lots of things going on. Of course, it helps to be Dani Daortiz to make it work.

I'm with paperinick on this. Dani's style is totally different than my own, and I rarely use anything that I've learned from him (main exception: a variation on "Or Not") but I end up buying a ton of his stuff because I love the way he thinks about magic and the way he explains it, which helps me greatly, even if I don't end up ever actually performing any of his effects.
David Numen
View Profile
Inner circle
1822 Posts

Profile of David Numen
Dani's philoshophy is driven by what the spectators feel - if you watch the performance you can clearly see they are blown away. That's what motivates procedure and, especially, the chaos because they simply can't see how he could pull something out of the chaos. It's not for everybody but before criticising it for whatever reason, understand that most spectators probably won't feel anything after 90% of ACAAN performances but they'll leave this one (as performed by Dani, admittedly) feeling amazed.

I saw Dani do a very simple and direct ACAAN at the SEssion/Event convention. In fact I saw the same one three times - once at his workshop, once at his lecture and once in his performance. It's sublime and it's within the ability of even a novice as far as technique goes. As far as making people feel they've witnessed a miracle - THAT's the true nature of what you're learning in anything of Dani's.
daortiz
View Profile
New user
españa
15 Posts

Profile of daortiz
Hi everybody!!!

Some people tell me that here (in magic caffe) some people don’t understand the trick. Maybe this is not a trick for a trailer. Is better if you can watch the full trick and with only one camera without movements, like a real spectator. The penguin trailer is great, like always, but if I add this video is much more better for you understand the trick.

This is the real situation of the trick, like a spectator see when is front of the magician.

I hope you like and now you can enjoy the “details” in this trick. Thanks very much all for your comments.

Your friend,
Dani DaOrtiz


Vídeo: https://youtu.be/f_1TUvTsgb8
Brad Ballew
View Profile
New user
Nashville, TN
88 Posts

Profile of Brad Ballew
Quote:
On Feb 16, 2019, daortiz wrote:
Hi everybody!!!

Some people tell me that here (in magic caffe) some people don’t understand the trick. Maybe this is not a trick for a trailer. Is better if you can watch the full trick and with only one camera without movements, like a real spectator. The penguin trailer is great, like always, but if I add this video is much more better for you understand the trick.

This is the real situation of the trick, like a spectator see when is front of the magician.

I hope you like and now you can enjoy the “details” in this trick. Thanks very much all for your comments.

Your friend,
Dani DaOrtiz


Vídeo: https://youtu.be/f_1TUvTsgb8



Thank you Dani for sharing this video. This is a much better example of the effect.

I think I am following the method for the most part and think that what you are doing is very clever. You're hiding one of the toughest parts of making an ACAAN work in a very devious way.

I don't usually perform for more than 1-2 people and this looks like it works better for a group. However, I've successfully reworked group oiriented tricks to work on 1-2 people before.

I might check it out to get a bit more clarity on the workings and see how I can rework it for my style. I do like the thinking.
Tim Cavendish
View Profile
Inner circle
1309 Posts

Profile of Tim Cavendish
Wow, that's a far, far better video of the trick.
paperinick
View Profile
Inner circle
my faro is starting to look nice after
1140 Posts

Profile of paperinick
Quote:
On Feb 16, 2019, daortiz wrote:
Hi everybody!!!

Some people tell me that here (in magic caffe) some people don’t understand the trick. Maybe this is not a trick for a trailer. Is better if you can watch the full trick and with only one camera without movements, like a real spectator. The penguin trailer is great, like always, but if I add this video is much more better for you understand the trick.

This is the real situation of the trick, like a spectator see when is front of the magician.

I hope you like and now you can enjoy the “details” in this trick. Thanks very much all for your comments.

Your friend,
Dani DaOrtiz


Vídeo: https://youtu.be/f_1TUvTsgb8


Unbelievable! (slams hand on the table)
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death my right to say "scr*w you" if you persist. [Voltaire Smile]
Tempesta
View Profile
Veteran user
USA
400 Posts

Profile of Tempesta
Quote:
On Feb 16, 2019, Tim Cavendish wrote:
Wow, that's a far, far better video of the trick.


WAYYYYY BETTER
//Sean Beard
daortiz
View Profile
New user
españa
15 Posts

Profile of daortiz
Thanks!
Pixelated
View Profile
Loyal user
223 Posts

Profile of Pixelated
Penguin's UK postage cost is really high, is whatever is posted something that can be easily sourced?
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12049 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On Feb 16, 2019, daortiz wrote:
Hi everybody!!!

Some people tell me that here (in magic caffe) some people don’t understand the trick. Maybe this is not a trick for a trailer. Is better if you can watch the full trick and with only one camera without movements, like a real spectator. The penguin trailer is great, like always, but if I add this video is much more better for you understand the trick.

This is the real situation of the trick, like a spectator see when is front of the magician.

I hope you like and now you can enjoy the “details” in this trick. Thanks very much all for your comments.

Your friend,
Dani DaOrtiz


Vídeo: https://youtu.be/f_1TUvTsgb8


I'll have to say, that is a heck of a remarkable effect. Totally baffling.

J

PS: Of course you'll read that some cats have figured out the workings blah blah blah. haha
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12049 Posts

Profile of John C
What is the true difficulty level in this?
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
daortiz
View Profile
New user
españa
15 Posts

Profile of daortiz
Hello friend, if I told you it's simple, I would lie to you. In the same way, if I told you it's difficult, too. Like all effects, every time you do it will be easier for you. The difficulty depends on the person, but it should not take long before you start enjoying it before an audience. Out of respect for Penguin, I can not say much about the secret. If it were me, I would not have problems explaining the secret in detail. the magic is to share it!

Thanks very much.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12049 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On Feb 18, 2019, daortiz wrote:
Hello friend, if I told you it's simple, I would lie to you. In the same way, if I told you it's difficult, too. Like all effects, every time you do it will be easier for you. The difficulty depends on the person, but it should not take long before you start enjoying it before an audience. Out of respect for Penguin, I can not say much about the secret. If it were me, I would not have problems explaining the secret in detail. the magic is to share it!

Thanks very much.


Hey D, I do have a few things of yours. I enjoy your performances immensely. Very entertaining and this is what it's all about.

Have you ever released this before? I wonder because it brings to mind a routine I purchased from your web site a while back but cannot locate.

Or is this new?

Thanks

J
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Totally Hands Off by Dani DaOrtiz (23 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL