The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Totally Hands Off by Dani DaOrtiz (23 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
Magic KL
View Profile
Inner circle
2571 Posts

Profile of Magic KL
New download from Dani DaOrtiz! Is this from any of his lectures?

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/11519

This is a masterpiece. It's one of the strongest pieces of magic from Dani DaOrtiz's act, and it's the only way he performs the "Any Card at Any Number" plot now, the holy grail of card magic.

Once you start watching, you'll see why. For every 3 seconds of routine, Dani shares massive amounts of highly detailed psychology and method for what he does, why he does it and even WHEN he does it. It's extremely well-polished, and stunningly brilliant.

There isn't a dull moment or wasted move during either the performance OR the explanation. Both are fascinating, and every second has a purpose.

If you haven't been exposed to Dani DaOrtiz's magic before, you'll be blown away at how much thought goes into every seemingly insignificant detail.
no2ss
View Profile
Inner circle
California
1027 Posts

Profile of no2ss
Wasn't this in one of his Penguin Live shows? Is it any different than that?
Magicalos
View Profile
Special user
557 Posts

Profile of Magicalos
So why isn't this a download? what do they ship you?
paperinick
View Profile
Inner circle
my faro is starting to look nice after
1177 Posts

Profile of paperinick
Quote:
On Feb 14, 2019, no2ss wrote:
Wasn't this in one of his Penguin Live shows? Is it any different than that?

I got the same impression.
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death my right to say "scr*w you" if you persist. [Voltaire Smile]
Tim Cavendish
View Profile
Inner circle
1406 Posts

Profile of Tim Cavendish
Card at Number is one of Dani's favorite plots. He has described several versions in various Penguin lectures. This one appears slightly different than those I've seen.

I believe that in his most recent Penguin act/lecture, he stated that he has an upcoming (book? video?) project where he'll describe around 40 versions.
paperinick
View Profile
Inner circle
my faro is starting to look nice after
1177 Posts

Profile of paperinick
Quote:
On Feb 14, 2019, Tim Cavendish wrote:
Card at Number is one of Dani's favorite plots. He has described several versions in various Penguin lectures. This one appears slightly different than those I've seen.

I believe that in his most recent Penguin act/lecture, he stated that he has an upcoming (book? video?) project where he'll describe around 40 versions.

The one I remember seeing used a slightly similar method around packets of cards. My memory unfortunately is fading too quickly...
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death my right to say "scr*w you" if you persist. [Voltaire Smile]
Tempesta
View Profile
Elite user
USA
404 Posts

Profile of Tempesta
After this much byplay, I didn't bother finishing to watch the effect's conclusion. Yes, it's good to establish parameters and conditions and justifications--but none of that process shown in the video was interesting, rather, it was very redundant.

I don't know the method, but from watching the effect, I'm not sure I really care. :

||sean ||
//Sean Beard
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
ACAAN? I couldn’t bring myself to watch the second half. Probably the worst routine of this type I’ve seen.
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2720 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
Quote:
On Feb 14, 2019, pegasus wrote:
ACAAN? I couldn’t bring myself to watch the second half. Probably the worst routine of this type I’ve seen.

I agree. The Holy Grail seems to be Asi Winds.

Best

Steve
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
reignofsound
View Profile
Inner circle
Glasgow, UK
2200 Posts

Profile of reignofsound
Turned off after he gave the last spectator their cards.
Bored.
MagicMax20
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of MagicMax20
I guess this is not for everybody... It suits Dani's style perfectly obviously but you really need to be a great entertainer to go through all that process.
Tim Cavendish
View Profile
Inner circle
1406 Posts

Profile of Tim Cavendish
This is a good point. Dani's style is not "Watch my power as I do something magical."

His style is "Let's play together; you make lots of chaos and I'll find impossible order in that chaos."

This effect embraces that style.
fcchief1
View Profile
Loyal user
258 Posts

Profile of fcchief1
I wondered what you got for the price too. Talked with Penguin, you get some cards and link to a download instruction. I asked if it used gimmicked cards and was told not true gimmicked cards but there is a set up, interesting. Think I will pass on this, have better methods than what this may entail.
Tim Cavendish
View Profile
Inner circle
1406 Posts

Profile of Tim Cavendish
Ah, I think this reminds me of Triple Intuition (of which he also has several versions).
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2720 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
Quote:
On Feb 14, 2019, MagicMax20 wrote:
I guess this is not for everybody... It suits Dani's style perfectly obviously but you really need to be a great entertainer to go through all that process.

Dani is very theatrical like Tamariz. One has to take the magic and suit it to their own. If you are not a theatrical performer, tricks of this nature just don't fit.

Best

Steve
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
Tempesta
View Profile
Elite user
USA
404 Posts

Profile of Tempesta
So, the reason I didn't like this is because I'm lacking as a performer and un-theatrical?

Just to clarify, the reason I didn't like this is because there was a solid 2-3 minutes of shuffling/mixing/byplay with no micro-justification or reasoning, it was basically fast-paced dead-time. Obviously the macro-justification is "shuffling the deck so it's totally random," but for this much process and buildup, my expectations of the finale are higher than what is delivered.

Dani DaOrtiz is a fantastic magician--but this effect's structure is strange to me, and as someone with a college education in theatre, I wouldn't call what I saw in the video "theatrical."

I would expect to see this in a book or compilation, amongst other things and with developments.
//Sean Beard
Tim Cavendish
View Profile
Inner circle
1406 Posts

Profile of Tim Cavendish
If some folks don't care for this new trick, I'll take the opportunity to point out Concerto, a lesser-known Dani trick which I love.

It's a torn & restored card at any number.

Check it out:

https://www.artofmagic.com/products/concerto
Tim Hannig
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago area
1149 Posts

Profile of Tim Hannig
Ok, I'm a huge Asi Wind AND a Dani DaOrtiz fan.

I loved it... very playful and fun and seems impossible. Certainly different than Asi's, but with a group of people this is great.

I didn't find the "chaos" procedural like some boring counting trick... the seemingly random shuffles all add to the impossibility. I was smiling the whole time.
Author of PERFORM, the 2020 Magic Cafe Book of the Year

"I loved this book!" Ken Weber

"4 out of 4 stars!" Nick Lewin

"This will be a classic of magic!" Mark Pocan

performbettershows.com
Magicsquared
View Profile
Inner circle
1262 Posts

Profile of Magicsquared
I don't really understand all the shuffling either. In a trick like Shufflebored or Paul Harris's Cellmates or any trick where the order of a group of cards is important then I can understand a lot of time and attention given to the shuffling procedure. But in the case of a trick like this where it's just about the selection and position of ONE card then lots of shuffling is meaningless. Just cutting the deck would achieve the same result.

The number they choose seems very limited as well.

And you can't use an ordinary deck?
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
4192 Posts

Profile of JanForster
Imagine this what we should do all the time: A "normal layperson" has seen this routine... now (a bit later) you ask him to tell you what he has seen... it is Dai Vernon's philosophy, BTW. If you think he could tell you in one or two short sentences buy it. If not... Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Totally Hands Off by Dani DaOrtiz (23 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL