The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Help with Twisting the Aces (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Rupert Pupkin
View Profile
Inner circle
1052 Posts

Profile of Rupert Pupkin
Quote:
On Feb 18, 2019, dj wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 17, 2019, Rupert Pupkin wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 17, 2019, dj wrote:
For me, this is the most direct "Twisting the Aces" routine:
https://youtu.be/PuDkq0oDi8Y

Is there a reason you would opt for counts over spreads?

I do not understand what exactly do you mean?

Apologies if I wasn’t clear.

In your version, you’re opting for one-at-a-time counts over simply spreading the four cards (as in, for example, Asher’s version). Is there a reason for that?

I ask because, based on your "most direct" comment, I assumed this effect is something you'd seriously mulled over. Just curious.
dj
View Profile
Special user
779 Posts

Profile of dj
Quote:
On Feb 18, 2019, Rupert Pupkin wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 18, 2019, dj wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 17, 2019, Rupert Pupkin wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 17, 2019, dj wrote:
For me, this is the most direct "Twisting the Aces" routine:
https://youtu.be/PuDkq0oDi8Y

Is there a reason you would opt for counts over spreads?

I do not understand what exactly do you mean?

Apologies if I wasn’t clear.

In your version, you’re opting for one-at-a-time counts over simply spreading the four cards (as in, for example, Asher’s version). Is there a reason for that?

Yes, there is a reason for that.
Rupert Pupkin
View Profile
Inner circle
1052 Posts

Profile of Rupert Pupkin
Cool! That is?
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1299 Posts

Profile of lynnef
Quote:
On Feb 18, 2019, warren wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 17, 2019, lynnef wrote:
Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I really like patter in magic... and not just for misdirection (although this is a factor). It's about the 'story", even if it's mime! Lynn

I agree completely however the method was very good and I think that was the point being made.

And I agree with you as well! The method was more than very good. I just didn't want the idea of the patter/story to fall by the wayside. Even if its a sprinkle of goober dust. Lynn
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
3134 Posts

Profile of warren
Quote:
On Feb 19, 2019, lynnef wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 18, 2019, warren wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 17, 2019, lynnef wrote:
Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I really like patter in magic... and not just for misdirection (although this is a factor). It's about the 'story", even if it's mime! Lynn

I agree completely however the method was very good and I think that was the point being made.

And I agree with you as well! The method was more than very good. I just didn't want the idea of the patter/story to fall by the wayside. Even if its a sprinkle of goober dust. Lynn

I also agree with you totally usually if I watch a video someone has put and it's done to music especially close up magic I immediately stop watching as I find it really boring as nobody in the real world performs that way for the public.
dj
View Profile
Special user
779 Posts

Profile of dj
Here is my version with four cards, any four cards the spectator has selected.
The spectator selects four cards (no force), he touches the four cards in the deck.
Then follows Twisting the Aces routine with four selected cards.

The video is in german language:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQFkKv08IIQ

Darko
Andy Moss
View Profile
Special user
667 Posts

Profile of Andy Moss
A more interesting premise than simply having aces flip face down is to have a certain card such as a Joker transform into (and back again from) all the other cards.

I commend to you Max Maven's classic 'MASQUE' .

If you are already proficient at the basic moves required for the Dai Vernon original Max Maven's effect will not take you long to master and it remains completely impromptu using just four ordinary cards from any borrowed deck.

Introduce a hidden card and more opportunities are then open to you. You could then change tack and move along the lines of another great classic called 'Bullet Party'.
larotule
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of larotule
Quote:
On Feb 17, 2019, Yehuda wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 16, 2019, supremefiction wrote:
I don't like it because I think 2 and 3 look suspicious/unnatural. I'm looking for something that looks less suspect. Thanks again for any suggestions.

Check out Jason England's At the Table Lecture. He teaches his handling of Twisting the Aces and the setup is similar to the original, but I think he tweaks and motivates the actions better.

Yehuda

Yeah ! for me this is the best twisting the aces ever !
bobmag56
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of bobmag56
I still like the original handling in the Dia Vernon book.
dirtyrussian
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of dirtyrussian
Very nice work Darko !
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26903 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Hi Darko, that's a sensible approach, to start with a display of the cards as you turn them over. And thanks for posting the video.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
dj
View Profile
Special user
779 Posts

Profile of dj
Thanks.

Darko
Mike.Bonner
View Profile
New user
Gloucester, England
3 Posts

Profile of Mike.Bonner
Chris Wood, in the 'at the table' lecture gives a great demonstration of twisting the aces. Not only that, most importantly he talks a lot about Vernon and the theory behind why this is such a powerful effect. Worth a watch, for the theory alone. This might make the OP more comfortable in justifying the first move.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Help with Twisting the Aces (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL