The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » How to handle cards so spectators can see their faces & backs? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1990 Posts

Profile of Kaliix

Now that's a practice mirror!

Quote:
On Feb 17, 2019, Mike Powers wrote:
Jack Diamond sells a mirror set up that has all sorts of angle adjustments. He provides info on how to adjust so you'll see what people at various watching positions will see. I'm not sure how to find this item, though. Jack is a friend of Wesley James. I didn't find anything about him with a Google search. You might contact Wes if you're interested in the mirror.

Mike
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2831 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Thanks for all the mirror suggestions, guys. As it happens, I already have the mirror that Arthur uses. (So, Arthur, that may explain why you sometimes can't find your mirror.) I rarely use it -- time to get started. $40 for a 3-way mirror that doubles as a close-up pad. Someday I may want to get a better pad and a better mirror, but for now I'll get as much use as I can out of my already-spent $40.

Kalix, not a big deal since I'm not in the market for a new mirror at the moment, but I tried your link and got an error message. Naturally I'm curious to see what the mirror is like.

Thanks to everyone for your kindness in helping me with this vexed issue of making my magic visible to my spectators. It's clearly going to take some work to put your suggestions into practice.

Bob
Tim Cavendish
View Profile
Inner circle
1406 Posts

Profile of Tim Cavendish
Quote:
On Feb 17, 2019, Bob G wrote:
Tim, The plot thickens. So from what you're saying the *third* (and most expensive) lecture does the most with "making a picture." (But it isn't At The Table, I guess.) Nice to have a source for the idea (Gabi Parera). I'll look up Parera, but can you suggest a source in which he (?) discusses his ideas in detail?

To this point, Gabi Pareras has only written in spanish.

Dani talks about Gabi's notion of "making a picture of the effect" for the last 8 minutes of ATT#2, starting at 2:55:45. This discussion certainly communicates and illustrates the idea, which is that the final arrangement of props on the table should visually tell the story of what just happened.

If you want more, he discusses it again in his 3rd Penguin lecture. (He's done 3 Penguin Lectures, and 1 Penguin Live Act -- so far.) I think pretty much every effect in his 3rd Penguin Lecture is a good example of the idea of "making a picture" being applied. So if you want more of that applied theory, it's there.

If you just become enamored of Dani DaOrtiz and want more of him, my highest recommendation goes to his Penguin Lectures 1 and 2. He is at his freewheeling best in those two, mostly due to the format of always having a table full of participants available for the full duration of the lecture. His style is not about demonstrating his own prowess, but rather playing together with a group of people. Later Penguin recordings change the format so he has a full table of participants available only for the performances, while the explanations are given one-on-one to Dan Harlan. The more people present, the more enjoyable Dani is.
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1777 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Just to backtrack to Bob G’s original post: I also prefer being seated for close-up. But because I also struggle with bending my wrists down while in that position, I find it easier to stand up for certain routines.

Works for me!
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2831 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Thanks, Tim, for all these details about Pareras's performances. I'll buy one of the lectures and see whether I want to continue with more. Really interesting idea -- arrangement of props tells story of the trick just presented.

Arthur, I'll try performing standing. M wife is happy to help me try various experiments with my magic (in moderation), so I can see what it feels like to stand, sit and hold my arms differently, etc, and get her reaction. And the mirror's. Come to think of it, it's a good idea to get used to performing standing, sitting at various kinds of tables, etc., so I'll be prepared once I start performing for people other than friends & family.
Melephin
View Profile
Regular user
103 Posts

Profile of Melephin
Just spread the cards on the table instead of holding or showing the cards in your hands whenever you can.
Bill Hallahan
View Profile
Inner circle
New Hampshire
3226 Posts

Profile of Bill Hallahan
If you can't lower the table, raise your seating position with a different chair, or one or more cushions.

Getting used to standing when performing is a good idea though.
Humans make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to create boredom. Quite astonishing.
- The character of ‘Death’ in the movie "Hogswatch"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » How to handle cards so spectators can see their faces & backs? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL