The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » No skill necessary - top self working (non card magic) (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

bertoneski
View Profile
Regular user
130 Posts

Profile of bertoneski
A question for seasoned pros: what is the best self working (non card trick) you own and use regularly.

Something that allowed you to put all you energy into presentation and not into moves / slight of hand etc.

Tricks old or new that you use regularly.

Thank you.
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, Pa
2971 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
PM 'd you...
If you can't help worrying, remember worrying can't help you!
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
3316 Posts

Profile of warren
I class Turbo Stick as self working if that counts and it's very effective.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20540 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Most pros practice the moves until they are second nature. The moves become so easy it allows you to put energy into presentation, which should also be second nature.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9026 Posts

Profile of funsway
Most good amateurs do too, Danny. How about "conscientious magicians" instead of "pros."

Yet, your second part about presentation becoming second nature is very relevant and appreciated.
Most amateurs never perform enough for this to happen. Many amateurs never practice at all. (Some charging for their act don't seem to either)

I recently read that Martin Gardner only performed once as a kid - then realized that it would take hundreds of performances ot do it right and become professional.
So, he became a noted amateur and valued contributor to the magic arts and the world of astonishment -
but never performed again.

Me -- I can practice moves and slights to perfection by never rehearse properly. Thus I perform very little.
Because of disabilities of hands and balance I am fearful of inadvertently loosing my "automaticity" and exposing rather that providing enjoyment.

I also decide not to "go pro" because of the life style and too many other interests that would deflect for the required dedication.

As to the OP question - I find it difficult to consider "magic" and "no skill necessary" in the same sentence.
There might be relatively 'self-working' tricks, but no self-working magic.

"Afghan Bands" comes close though - depending on presentation and appropriate setting and story line and character, and ...
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20540 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Ken I only said it that way because he specially asked what seasoned pros do. He brought it up like that so I addressed it that way. I meant no offense.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
9026 Posts

Profile of funsway
I wasn't offended. Happy when I can agree with you even 90%

I should have been more specific about the OP specifying opinions of pros only - implying to me that amateurs don't or won't or can't.

I fully concede that successful pros have experienced opinions that amateurs can't match. Just not about dedication and practice.

However, inspired by your courtesy, Danny, I might suggest that the willingness to practice to automaticity is a factor in deciding to make magic a career.
No amount of practice will make a person a good performing magician as many other factors come into play as well,
but the "willingness"is essential. Works for other professions as well.

One Motivator (Hill?) said that successful people are willing to do things that unsuccessful people are not.
Does this apply to successful amateurs as opposed to hobbyists? Should.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, Pa
2971 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Definate wise food for thought above.
I'm thinking Tenyo products. I don't own any but they do the work for you.
Some pros may use if it fits into their repertoire set.
If you can't help worrying, remember worrying can't help you!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20540 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Feb 20, 2019, funsway wrote:
I wasn't offended. Happy when I can agree with you even 90%

I should have been more specific about the OP specifying opinions of pros only - implying to me that amateurs don't or won't or can't.

I fully concede that successful pros have experienced opinions that amateurs can't match. Just not about dedication and practice.

However, inspired by your courtesy, Danny, I might suggest that the willingness to practice to automaticity is a factor in deciding to make magic a career.
No amount of practice will make a person a good performing magician as many other factors come into play as well,
but the "willingness"is essential. Works for other professions as well.

One Motivator (Hill?) said that successful people are willing to do things that unsuccessful people are not.
Does this apply to successful amateurs as opposed to hobbyists? Should.

Oh I think it applies across the board to success in general. But success is a strange concept. For example what I consider success may not be what another may consider it and BOTH are right! They may be 180 degrees different and still each is correct.

Even within my own standards I have a dichotomy that exists. Last night I did a show here in conditions that to be generous were less than ideal. It was a hypnosis show (Still on topic believe it or not.) and in a place that would have sent most hypnotists running into the woods screaming and ending up in fetal position crying. But I just define success as doing the best possible show at any given moment for the audience given me. It was not a highlight reel show, but the audience had fun. SUCCESS though not a raucous occasion.

So success is an odd concept and if a performer feels they are achieving this then they are whether I agree or not.

Having said that let me say this. For ME and most I know having everything in the show to the point where it is not difficult IS success when performing. This INCLUDES having a script to the point where when I want it to it seems off the cuff. (This is called "acting".) To ME this is what being a professional means and this is what I consider success. I do not demand it of others, but I demand it of myself.

Now I should also say I have seen many a professional who is happy with a level of performance I would not consider "success" but they do. THEY are right for them! I think it is important not to let others define success for us.

All this to say is yes I agree completely that success is motivated by a willingness to do what is needed.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
mrsmiles
View Profile
Elite user
439 Posts

Profile of mrsmiles
Ok, here's some suggestions because you've not had many so far! Not in any particular order:
* Lethal Tender
* Coin Unique
* TNT Wayne Fox
* Tenyo: Lubor's Lense
* Tenyo: invisible Zone
* Tenyo: Bird Watcher
* Tenyo: Prison Box
* Divided Attention - Jay Sankey
(Jay does an even better version on 'Hemespheres' DVD but don't recall the name. The above is on (from memory) '22 Blows to the Head'
* Tricks using the 'Out to Lunch' principle - Jay & others have some cool tricks with it.
* Finally, not self working but you get high reactions for very little technical skill from Sponge Balls

There's more when I remember them but this is lot to be getting on with! Good luck!!
mrsmiles
(UK)
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved to Seattle to see
1200 Posts

Profile of imgic
Quote:
On Feb 19, 2019, Dannydoyle wrote:
Most pros practice the moves until they are second nature. The moves become so easy it allows you to put energy into presentation, which should also be second nature.

Quote of the day...
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1647 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
Perhaps something like Lolli Hero would fit the bill.
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13411 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Quote:
On Feb 19, 2019, Dannydoyle wrote:

Yep. with enough practice, everything seems self-working. You don't even think about it.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
3316 Posts

Profile of warren
Hey Frank I have emailed your website a couple of times now and still not had a reply is it no longer working ?
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
9026 Posts

Profile of funsway
The Grant Rope Trick take sos,me prep, buy is self-working in the presentation.

warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
3316 Posts

Profile of warren
I would recommend looking at Automata By Gary Jones & Chris Congreave but whatever you do don't purchase it via Dave Forrest.
mrsmiles
View Profile
Elite user
439 Posts

Profile of mrsmiles
Hey Bertoneski a quick 'thank you' to Everyone might have been nice/appropriate, but hey ho, no matter...
mrsmiles
(UK)
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13411 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Quote:
On Feb 22, 2019, warren wrote:
Hey Frank I have emailed your website a couple of times now and still not had a reply is it no longer working ?

it should be working. pm me here and I'll check my email thing to make sure it's working.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » No skill necessary - top self working (non card magic) (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL