The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Hot off the Press! » » Kickstarter: A Motley Pack - Transformation Playing Cards (final 36 hours!) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

EndersGame
View Profile
Inner circle
Reviewer EndersGame
1231 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
A MOTLEY PACK: TRANSFORMATION PLAYING CARDS & BOOK (Kickstarter)

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sun......ng-cards

A clever and beautiful historical transformation deck brought to life!

Cost: ~US$15 per deck (includes free US shipping)
Current funding level: over 100% (fully funded)
Kickstarter ends: Wed, February 20, 2019

George Gordon McCrae's original Motley Pack (1875)

A transformation deck is a unique deck of playing cards where the pips have been incorporated into a larger artistic image. As an example, the six pips on a Six of Clubs might be transformed into part of a larger image picturing five birds. Typically these pips use their traditional location on the card and retain their red/black colours.

Transformation decks were very popular in the 19th century, with some incredibly creative decks produced in this time period. One of the most famous was created by George Gordon McCrae in 1875. First published in a Christmas Annual under the title "On the Cards" or "A Motley Pack", McCrae's illustrations consisted of 40 transformed playing cards like the ones shown below.

Unlike some transformation playing cards, McCrae resisted the temptation to turn most of the pips into people, resulting in some very clever and humorous designs.

The pictures were related to the book's story, which was written by the Australian writer Garnet Walch, and this undoubtedly accounts for the presence of some Australian animals and characters.

Sunish Chabba's re-created Motley Pack (2019)

Along with his friend and illustrator Ishan Trivedi, creator Sunish Chabba from Guru Playing Cards is now making a valuable contribution to the world of custom playing cards by turning McCrae's remarkable illustrations into an actual and complete deck of playing cards. To do this, the artwork from the original book has been redrawn, and McCrae's set of 40 cards have been supplemented with 14 additional ones using similarly styled 19th century artwork.

Two different versions of the deck are being produced: a Royal edition, and a Heritage Gilded Edition. Here's a sample of the more colourful artwork from the Royal Edition:

The Heritage Edition features a more austere colour scheme true to the original:

As a special bonus this project also includes the publishing of a limited edition 120-130 page art book, which reproduces the original book On The Cards from 1875.

Sunish Chabba is an experienced creator at this point, with a proven track record for fulfilling his Kickstarter projects speedily and on time. I am thrilled that Guru Playing Cards is producing the Motley Pack project, for it guarantees a quick turn-around and good quality.

This is the kind of deck that will appeal to any collector of quality custom playing cards, and the novelty and creativity of these transformation cards is almost certain to make them a hit with whoever sees them. I'm a huge fan of transformation playing cards, and you don't have to be a collector like me to realize that this is a unique and rare opportunity to pick up something truly special!

Kickstarter link

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sun......ng-cards

BoardGameGeek reviewer EndersGame - click here to see all my pictorial reviews: => Magic Reviews <==> Playing Card Reviews <==> Board Game Reviews <==
EndersGame
View Profile
Inner circle
Reviewer EndersGame
1231 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
I just got my copies of this deck, both the Royal Edition and Heritage Edition. Both are absolutely outstanding!

I definitely recommend these lovely decks for playing card collectors!

Available here: https://guruplayingcards.com/store

BoardGameGeek reviewer EndersGame - click here to see all my pictorial reviews: => Magic Reviews <==> Playing Card Reviews <==> Board Game Reviews <==
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Hot off the Press! » » Kickstarter: A Motley Pack - Transformation Playing Cards (final 36 hours!) (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL