The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Thought on practice. (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
8516 Posts

Profile of funsway
Just came across this quote. Thought it might impact some here ...

The legendary cellist Pablo Casals was asked why he continued to practice at age 90.

He replied, "Because I think I am making progress."
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

ShareBooks at www.eversway.com * questions at funsway@eversway.com
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8364 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
That's a great quote, Ken!

I use a "similar" one: "You only coast in one direction!"
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
magicianbrady
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of magicianbrady
Yes practice leads to perfection!
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
1594 Posts

Profile of Bob G
I assume that Casals also kept practicing because of his love for his art. Funsway, your Casals quote reminds me of a line from the introduction that Carl Sandburg wrote to his Complete Poems in the fifties. (Needless to say, he wrote many more poems after the book appeared.) He quoted an unnamed Chinese poet as saying, "God grant me five more years and I may become a poet." That, of course, is one of the many delights of any art: one is never finished; there's always more to learn and be excited about.

Bob
Déclic
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of Déclic
Awesome:)
ABREWCADABREW
View Profile
New user
Yokohama, Japan
15 Posts

Profile of ABREWCADABREW
Quote:
On Feb 19, 2019, funsway wrote:
Just came across this quote. Thought it might impact some here ...

The legendary cellist Pablo Casals was asked why he continued to practice at age 90.

He replied, "Because I think I am making progress."

That's a fantastic quote. For whatever reason reminds me of this one from tennis legend, Billie Jean King - “Champions keep playing until they get it right.”
Kong
View Profile
New user
Wales
94 Posts

Profile of Kong
Great quote. It's funny how people who aren't used to practicing a skill often don't "get it" at all. They think it's luck of the draw, i.e. that people are born with certain skills, and it all just happens naturally. If only it were that simple!

My approach to practice is always the same: Unfortunately my hands do what I tell them, not what I want them to do. Practice brings what I tell them to do closer to what I want them to do.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8364 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
PRACTICE IMPROVES SKILLS.

REHEARSAL IMPROVES PERFORMANCE.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
ryanshaw9572
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of ryanshaw9572
As a bass trombonist studying music in college, I have found many connections between magic and music. Performing my shows, I noticed just how concerned I am with how I am presenting what I’m doing. It’s helped me to pay more attention to the actual music I create, not just the technical components of what I play. From my trombone playing, I’ve noticed how discipline to practice comes from my love for music, and my hope to perform in groups or places that really make a difference. This has helped me to pay more attention to why I choose to perform magic. Knowing why makes me dedicated to practice, as that will bring me one step closer to my goals. That, and that it’s fun!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Thought on practice. (5 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL