The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Converting a van / truck / trailer / horse box. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Phil Ainsworth
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of Phil Ainsworth
I’ve been doing outdoor markets with the Svengali cards recently, and whilst it’s going reasonably well (considering the rubbish weather in the U.K. at this time of year), I’ve noticed a few other operators working out of the side of converted vans / trailers.

These are mainly coffee vendors, hot food vendors and butchers. They drive up, life up one side of the vehicle to create a makeshift awning / roof for the punters to stand under and are able to start to trading straight away. At the end of the day, they just lower the side down again, and drive off.

No messing about with a gazebo, weighting it down with guy ropes, putting up flags, buntings and banners... because you could have all the flash painted on the side of the van and behind you on the inside wall.

It’d also mean I could trade at festivals with ease, or near the beach in tourist areas.

I guess I could even work out the back off a pick up truck, if I constructed some sort of roof.

Does anyone have any experience of doing this or anything similar with carnival shows, or know a good place to start?
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
There is a manufacturer in Derby that makes these sort of adaptations. I don't know the name or the location other than ... it's just off from Spider Island (which is nor the actual name of a roundabout. So it's not very helpful Sorry!

Ken Dean has been in the market for vans and trailers in the past so he may well be worth getting in touch with.

Other people, it may be worth contacting in the Uk:

Michael Diamond.
John Marshal
Alec (Can't recall surname) used to run the magic car boot. He was linked with the circus world I think so may well know someone who does this sort of work.

I guess the big question will be what is your budget. You may end up doing it yourself?

Hopefully that's enough to get you started- but sorry I could not be more helpful.
Phil Ainsworth
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Thank you, that’s really helpful!
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1974 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
Insurance companies will not insure a converted truck as a mobile home.
One of the last living 10-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.
Phil Ainsworth
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Hi ringmaster,

Some do, some don’t. You just have to look around.
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Quote:
On Mar 31, 2019, ringmaster wrote:
Insurance companies will not insure a converted truck as a mobile home.

Quote:
On Apr 3, 2019, Phil Ainsworth wrote:
Hi ringmaster,

Some do, some don’t. You just have to look around.

And we are in different countries too.....
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Converting a van / truck / trailer / horse box. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL