The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Help with classic psychological force deal (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ContrarianElk
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of ContrarianElk
Hello people,

I have a question regarding the traditional psychological force deal. The one I’m referring to is where you have the spectator’s card in the eighth position, and you deal down three cards then tell them to tell you when to stop, you proceed to deal down four more cards at a steady pace and they feel compelled to say stop at that point, and boom it’s their card.

My question is, what can I do if they say stop before or after I deal their card?

Thanks for any help,

Daniel Camp
IncantoMagic
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of IncantoMagic
A lot of this control is based on suggestion. They way I learned it, you want to direct them to say stop, and not tell them that they should say stop on any card that they want. This way they don't really associate saying stop with choosing a card until after its done, and so their timing is more predictable.

Dani DaOrtiz does a version where he deals off cards in blocks of three or 4, so the card is in like the 18th position, and he deals 3 then 4 then 3 then 4...etc. Its a very carefree looking way to do this force.

If you are dealing multiple cards, then you can always grab an extra few cards to get to the force card, if they say stop too early.

For the single card deal. If they say stop too late, you switch to second dealing. If they say stop too early, you either need to deal down to the selected card, or come up with a way to burn a card or two. You could always say something like "I don't want you to think that I influenced you to stop on this card" as you show the top card, and then replace it into the center of the deck, hence bringing the force card to the top.
Mark Timon
View Profile
Veteran user
381 Posts

Profile of Mark Timon
If stopped before just ask the spectator something, like , you prefer red or black? and keep dealing after your force card. If the spectator stops you after, no problem,. just say you want to have another card selected and try to force again the card. If you succeed just have someone else you pick up one of the two cards, if the force card is selected so do your trick, if not have the non-force card returned to the deck and use the force card for the trick.
stickmondoo
View Profile
Loyal user
245 Posts

Profile of stickmondoo
I can’t remember which, but I think his Penguin Lecture number 2 Patrick Redford has a brilliant take on this, and he goes into great detail concerning what to do if you miss.
Patrick Redford
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1723 Posts

Profile of Patrick Redford
Hey there - The effect is called Advantageous and is in my book Applesauce! I also teach a truncated version on my second Penguin Live lecture.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
5972 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Out of My Control- Lorayne
My Favourite Card Tricks, 1965
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Help with classic psychological force deal (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL