The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Recommendations to help audience network (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved back to Midwest to see
1338 Posts

Profile of imgic
I’m looking to volunteer with a group that helps veterans transition to civilian life. They have monthly networking events/job fairs. So sort of like trade show.

Looking for ideas or recommendations on how to help audience interact with each other...to help them network with each other. I do street performing, so am used to getting audience engaged, but not necessarily getting them to talk to each other.

Any help is greatly appreciated
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I don't understand what you are trying to accomplish. Job Fairs and networking is with potential employers is what the Job Fair is suppose to do. The company representatives are the ones that should approach a vet looking over the displays tables. They should have qualifying questions that should see if their company would be of interest to the potential employee.

Each Vet should have in mind what kind of employment he is looking for. Does any of his skills transition to civilian employment. Once this is determined, then it either see what skills fit, or does he need to training or education. Many state employment agencies will pay full college course to gain those skills.

I have never seen a good job fair with actual employers that are looking to hire then and now. They just show brochures and stand there.

Please no temp agencies, these guys are looking for good paying jobs to care for their families. Not work one day a week, or 90 days and be let go for the next guy will take low wages in hope for a full time job.

Networking is people with like interest get to know each other, and the person with the influence and clout, helps the guy get into an otherwise hard company position. They become business friends.

I really don't think you can force anyone to "mingle" with others.

My advice, is don't invite any employer that does not have open employment slots available at once. They are just wasting the soldier's time, and setting him up for a big let down, which does not help anyone.

The military works an 8 to 5 job when not in combat, just like everyone else in the world. Most military men have 2 jobs, their regular job, and their soldiering job.

I had a regular job, then when we were attacked, I picked up my M-14 rifle and became a fighting soldier. Infantry is a different story, but they are assigned other duties when not on the battle field.

If you can't tell, I really don't care for Job Fairs, but I did get a job lead when I got out of the service, that lead to a full time position.

I really don't see how you could do anything but give some facts about a company and the skills needed, how you would work that into a magic trick presentation, is you job to figure out as a Trade Show magician.
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
1338 Posts

Profile of imgic
These events are not like you describe. The companies there are there to hire, sometimes right then and there. They had wide variety of jobs: from truck driver, to warehouse, to IT/Computer, to sales, to various managerial positions. When I left active duty, the job fairs I went to were much like what you described...not very worthwhile. But these are not at all like that.

Doors open at 5, people filter in and companies set up. About 6:30 each company gets up and gives 30 second pitch on what they're looking for...helps people get idea of who they should talk to. Then after that until 8:30 or so, vets talks to the companies about opportunities. I saw several interviews being set up.

That time from 5 to 6:30, most folks mill around the bar (events have been in back rooms of pubs or similar venues). Most talk with a friend they may have, others sit and nurse a beer until its time to start. I thought it might be fun to have a table set up, do some close up, and help folks engage. Think it would be even better if I had some routines that got people talking to one another. Perhaps something along line of Doc Eason's multiple card reveal where he mentions everyone's names.

I'm not doing it for a specific company or booth...so not quite a trade show set up. It would be during social/networking time before hand.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10618 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On Mar 7, 2019, imgic wrote:
I thought it might be fun to have a table set up, do some close up, and help folks engage.

So what is the point to this? What is it you are trying to accomplish for yourself? To get bookings? Just as a place to perform for others?
I know you are saying to bring people together, but for what purpose? What is the desired outcome and benefit you are hoping to achieve? Once this is outlined, you can back into how to create and execute this.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Imgic, I understand now, thank you for clarifying. Okay, this is how I would handle it. If you don't have permission to be there doing magic during the networking period, then don't bother people trying to converse. You could do magic at times there is a lot of waiting, and nothing going on. You should be set up for table hopping, showing 3 or 4 effects at each group. You will not get any magic work from this, but if it is something you want to do, then do it.

When the proceeding begin, go to a corner and do not bother anyone. They are there for a job, not to be entertained. If there is groups standing around, then approach them, like outside before the doors open, or while signing in, if they are taking names and issuing name tags. Periods of times when waiting can be a bore.

Who knows, you may gain some benefit out of this as well, personally.

Go for it!
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
1338 Posts

Profile of imgic
I am a hobbyist, I perform at local open mics, neighborhood gatherings (when asked), and occasionally busk. I am not doing this to get bookings. In fact, if somebody asked me to do something, I'd likely refer them to other magicians in the Seattle area. My goals are to help a notable cause by adding to their networking events. The only personal gain I'm seeking it to get some more experience in front of live audience.

I know the organizers, and would not do this unless I have their permission. Table hopping may work, but personal preference would be to have a dedicated table. I have routines I could use to pitch the idea to organizers, but would really like to be able to show, or at least describe something that gets participants engaged with each other. I have no problem interacting with them, and have routines that use volunteers.

Purpose of this post was to see if there's any ideas for routines that get people talking to each other...
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3174 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
A little something that might get them together is; instead of asking your volunteer to name a card have them go ask a stranger to name a card.

Tom
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
1338 Posts

Profile of imgic
Quote:
On Mar 7, 2019, TomBoleware wrote:
A little something that might get them together is; instead of asking your volunteer to name a card have them go ask a stranger to name a card.

Tom

Nice idea...maybe several folks doing multiple selections, with them having to introduce themselves when getting the card...mmmm
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Recommendations to help audience network (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL