The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » The 3 Most useful sleights in all of card magic. (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1244 Posts

Profile of Senor Fabuloso
I don't remember where I first read it or who it was that told it to me but according to the information when first beginning these were the 3 most important card sleights to learn before anything else.

1. How to force a card. So many card forces exist I suggest Annemann's "202 Methods of Forcing" many ways to force cards.
2. How to control a card. The Pass an other card controls are essential to all card magic.
3. How to palm a card. Card to impossible location will require in many cases the ability to palm a card. Card to wallet and such.

Of course many more sleights will come into play on your magic journey but honestly with just these 3, you could do about 80% of all card magic.

To your success Smile
No matter how many times you say the wrong thing, it will NEVER be right.

If I'm not responding to you? It's because you're a TROLL!
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, Pa
2926 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
For me it's control of a selected card, false shuffle/cut and dbl.lift.
These 3 are the most popular(for me)

I don't force a card all that often, nor do I palm allot. Sure there are routines where I do but to each his own regarding your skill level and repertoire. Yes as you said many moves come into play as you advance.
If you can't help worrying, remember worrying can't help you!
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6724 Posts

Profile of Dougini
I was never good at cards. But I have a few good forces. Controlling a card...I am limited, and I RARELY palm a card. I stick to packet tricks and find the Elmsley and Hammond counts, plus the Ascanio Spread very helpful. The DL is starting to become known to the lay public. That's just my personal finding. YMMV. I also find cards to be less "magic" than say, silks, billiard balls, coins, etc. Some things are VERY magical, like the deck changing color or going all blank. Smile

Doug
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, Pa
2926 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Quote:
On Feb 25, 2019, Dougini wrote:
I was never good at cards. But I have a few good forces. Controlling a card...I am limited, and I RARELY palm a card. I stick to packet tricks and find the Elmsley and Hammond counts, plus the Ascanio Spread very helpful. The DL is starting to become known to the lay public. That's just my personal finding. YMMV. I also find cards to be less "magic" than say, silks, billiard balls, coins, etc. Some things are VERY magical, like the deck changing color or going all blank. Smile

Doug

Not my experince at all. In my restaurant work, people ALWAYS ask for card effects. Of course cards can be "less magical" but as you said, it depends what you are doing/performing. I never do "find a card by picking a pile. Is your card in this pile?" BORING.

If performed correctly and naturally, the DL is powerfull. I perform 4 nights a week and use the DL
constantly. Sure some people say are there 2 cards there?(not often) and just do a KM move and hand them the card. They are none the wiser. That's why it is important to study a mulitude of moves/sleights especially if you are going to out there performing.

But as the OP stated, yes with just a few sleights you can be very entertaing with cards.BUT..
more moves in your aresenal, cards will be MORE magical.
If you can't help worrying, remember worrying can't help you!
55Hudson
View Profile
Special user
Minneapolis
981 Posts

Profile of 55Hudson
I absolutely agree that with a few skills one can perform some amazing card magic. I suspect that there are many sets of three to five skills that could serve as a basis for building a wide range of card routines. For me DL, top change, force, control, false shuffle, cull, and palm are the required techniques for the vast majority of card magic I do (admittedly I don’t do nearly as much card magic as others I know). That said, if you forced me to pick only two of those skills (or if you picked them for me), pretty sure I could perform an evening of strolling magic without anything else.

As with all magic, presentation is the most important thing, then comes skillful execution, and last the specific method. IMHO.

Hudson
adrianrbf
View Profile
New user
Switzerland
89 Posts

Profile of adrianrbf
Quote:
On Feb 24, 2019, Senor Fabuloso wrote:
I don't remember where I first read it or who it was that told it to me but according to the information when first beginning these were the 3 most important card sleights to learn before anything else.

1. How to force a card. So many card forces exist I suggest Annemann's "202 Methods of Forcing" many ways to force cards.
2. How to control a card. The Pass an other card controls are essential to all card magic.
3. How to palm a card. Card to impossible location will require in many cases the ability to palm a card. Card to wallet and such.

Of course many more sleights will come into play on your magic journey but honestly with just these 3, you could do about 80% of all card magic.

To your success Smile

Well, that sounds really strange and not helpful at all. Because, well, these are not three sleights, but an awful lot of sleights: "202 methods of forcing", "the pass and other card controls"... If you want to name "the 3 most important card sleights to learn before anything else", then name three specific sleights of hand, not whole categories of sleights of hand.

For me, it's riffle force, double lift and break shuffle.
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1244 Posts

Profile of Senor Fabuloso
With 24 posts there adrian, I'd consider rethinking how you present your post. The people above you in this thread, seem to get something from mine, even if it was "not helpful at all" to you. At the very least the discussion was started and that's always helpful, to those interested in learning. What you should have understood in my op was that, within each category you could choose one sleight that would work to accomplish each desired effect. That would be a personal choice and "not helpful at all" to those looking to find their own way in magic. This will be the last time I address you personally, as I can see your learning the WRONG way to behave, among your peers in magic.
No matter how many times you say the wrong thing, it will NEVER be right.

If I'm not responding to you? It's because you're a TROLL!
adrianrbf
View Profile
New user
Switzerland
89 Posts

Profile of adrianrbf
Quote:
On Feb 26, 2019, Senor Fabuloso wrote:
The people above you in this thread, seem to get something from mine, even if it was "not helpful at all" to you.

Looking at the post counts of the people above me in this thread, they are all very experienced magicians. Your post, however, was meant for beginners. While I am not a beginner in the strict sense, I am an amateur with only limited experience. And I can tell you for sure that a post of the form: it is very importatnt that you learn to force a card, here are 202 methods, choose your favourite one - is not at all helpful for beginners.

If you want to support beginners, tell them which way to force a card you propose to learn first, and why. Tell them which sleight to learn in order to control a card (and there are sleights that are much more important than the pass to do this).

And btw, beginners should not only focus on sleights of hand, but also on general handling of a card deck: shuffling, dealing, and just an elegant swing cut etc.
The Burnaby Kid
View Profile
Inner circle
St. John's, Canada
3040 Posts

Profile of The Burnaby Kid
I think a happy medium can be reached between the objections. There are three situational categories of forcing a card -- where they can touch a card, where they can't touch a card, where they're holding the cards.

Similarly, simply saying a control is needed isn't enough. Yeah, you can do great things with a shuffle control, but it won't be any use in an ambitious card routine. You probably need both an open and hidden control in your repertoire.

I've had a love/hate relationship with two things in my life. First, the idea that all you need is three moves to do miracles in card magic. Second, pizza. The reason for the first is because yeah, there are some miracles that don't need anything other than those three moves, but to get access to the most miracles out there for your effort, without going overboard into all the moves out there, the list of what you need is probably closer to ten. The reason for the second is because when Sir Mix-A-Lot says he likes big butts and he cannot lie, I'm pretty sure he's not talking about mine.

My personal list in no particular order, with examples that can probably be substituted for others...

1. An open control (false shuffle, false cut)
2. A hidden control (cull, side-steal)
3. A force where they can take a card (classic pass)
4. A force where they can't take a card (riffle force)
5. A force where they hold the cards (cross cut force)
6. A full deck false shuffle (the G.W. Hunter false shuffle)
7. The double-lift
8. The palm (John Carney's stupid easy bottom palm)
9. The Top Change (not as vital as the others, but very nice)
10. The Pass (not as vital as the others, but very nice)
A screed for scams, sorcery, and other shenanigans... Nu Way Magick Blogge

JACK, the Jolly Almanac of Card Knavery, a free card magic resource for beginners.
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

Profile of Terrible Wizard
Hmmmm.... I'm not really sure how best to answer this - 3 skills, like 'control', or 3 specific sleights, like OHS in-jog control? Also, 3 is very limiting! Smile

I'll try my best, from my casual/amateur perspective - and I will also assume that the magi in question can already hold a deck in dealer's grip, and nicely shuffle and deal cards.

1) Forcing a card.
There are many ways, but if I had to recommend just 1 to a total beginner, I'd suggest a virtually self-working one and say Hindu Force. Realistically, though, you could easily pick up half a dozen easy forces and be better off using a variety)

2) A control and false shuffle/cut sequence.
I have no hesitation recommending an OHS in-jog control, OHS top stock retention shuffle, and ITH triple cut for when you have no table, or a simple Ose cut for when you do).

3) Elmsley Count.
Simply because many packet tricks, which are very useful for a casual magician, rely on it.
And because the other two obvious candidates for 3rd position - namely Palms and DLs - are much harder for beginners than is often first thought, and I'd suggest getting performance experience/confidence with easier sleights before tackling those two moves which rely a lot on audience management, confidence, and timing as well as dexterity.

If someone can handle cards well, force a card, control a card, keep the card under control whilst shuffling/cutting, and also do a false count, then they can do a lot of decent tricks all within reach of the beginner.

Add onto that knowledge of some great self-workers, a couple of packet tricks, a stack effect (or a whole stacked deck), and maybe even a gaff deck (like a str*pper or m*rked deck) and even a beginner can do some top level card magic, so long as they hone their presentation skills (IMHO).

Then, beyond that, even more amazing things await with other, harder, sleights ... Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » The 3 Most useful sleights in all of card magic. (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL