The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Quick Question Regarding Shin Lim's Shop (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

trilogy
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of trilogy
Hi, I'm a beginner magician and new to this site (sorry if this is posted in the wrong section) but I've been doing magic for a little over a week now and without many other hobbies I've really been enjoying it. The reason I started magic as a hobby is I've watched Shin Lim's tricks and they blew my mind. I've also been eyeing the starter kit item in Shin Lim's shop, and recently it has restocked. It includes his 52 shades red v3 and the gone deck effect. I was curious as to whether it was too early for me to pick something up like this? I'm still probably going to buy it and save it if the techniques are too difficult and then learn until I'm able to perform the tricks within the starter kit. If they are too difficult, (which I'm 99% sure they will be) how long would it roughly take for me to learn the techniques needed to perform these tricks?
Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
8441 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Learn the basics - with a borrowed deck of cards....first.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
trilogy
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of trilogy
I know the basics - I can palm a card, backpalm, double lift, I know a few basic lifts.
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
8441 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
I'm talking about jaw-dropping impromptu card stuff.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
55Hudson
View Profile
Special user
Minneapolis
981 Posts

Profile of 55Hudson
Trilogy - if you have only been practicing magic for a week, the you need to listen to Harry. Start with the basics - you may know how to perform a few slights, but you need to do them very well to perform real magic.

Harry has some excellent books and DVDs that would get you started.

Hudson
danaruns
View Profile
Special user
The City of Angels
805 Posts

Profile of danaruns
How old are you, Trilogy?
"Dana Douglas is the greatest magician alive. Plus, I'm drunk." -- Foster Brooks
HeronsHorse
View Profile
Loyal user
Scotland
207 Posts

Profile of HeronsHorse
If you've been doing this for less than 6 months then you need to not only know how but be perfect at those moves and more. It is fun though, just get into practicing those basics because you'll find that any kind of kit of tricks you buy will very likely require the same moves to be done -and done very well before anything much can be performed.
In answer to your question I'd say it is too early for you to make such a purchase. It could well become money wasted. I would get a book that takes you from beginner to proficient... Royal Road, Card College or Amateur Magicians Handbook, Harry Loraynes books as suggested... There's a lot you can choose from. You will soon realise that a week, or two or six, is not a long time in this journey. Smile
Quote of the Month
Those who think that magic consists of doing tricks are strangers to magic. Tricks are only the crude residue from which the lifeblood of magic has been drained."
- S.H. Sharpe
pradell
View Profile
Special user
Alaska
559 Posts

Profile of pradell
Shin Lim is also a classically trained pianist. He did not begin his study of music by performing concertos. 52 Shades requires lots of money, time and effort just to make the props that he performs. He is teaching an entire act that he spent many years perfecting. You don't start out trying to become Shin Lim. He gives you the spark that creates the sense of wonder. Now you need to start at the beginning and develop your own style, and your own character by learning the basics first before trying to be someone else. Harry Lorayne is well known in the magic community and he has been doing this for a very long time. His words should be given much weight.
munkywrench
View Profile
Loyal user
Conway, SC
295 Posts

Profile of munkywrench
To have Mr. Lorayne give you advice, take it. Don't run before you can walk. Practice the basics and move on from there. Supplement books with DVDs. This way you don't copy someone else. Don't chase the newest coolest effect. With proper training you may find you will know how things are done by watching vs buying the effect. Perform for strangers whenever possible. Most importantly have fun.
Family Biz. https://www.facebook.com/dreamweaverconway/
Disciple of the Close-Up Kinda Guy PH.
Balloon Blast Video Show junkie.
Supporter of http://www.myrtlebeachmagician.com/
Retired Demo Dude
IBM #334 supporter
RobertlewisIR
View Profile
Veteran user
Colorado
367 Posts

Profile of RobertlewisIR
I'll echo the above. Shin Lim's work is technically fairly advanced--but even more than the "moves" he uses, he relies on a lot of experience it takes to make everything (sleight of hand or otherwise) look smooth and flawless. That's not to say a beginner couldn't put in some long hours of practice and pull it off, but I'd argue that to be successful in that kind of magic, it's important not only to know the particular techniques used, but also *why* those techniques work, and you get that by putting some time into a serious study of the art, beginning with the basics, and expanding outward.

Now, am I saying not to buy Shin's products? Not necessarily. Sometimes it's useful to have something like that as a goal to build toward. But I wouldn't expect to be able to use any of it any time soon.
~Bob

----------

Last night, I dreamed I ate the world's largest marshmallow. When I woke up, the pillow was gone.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Quick Question Regarding Shin Lim's Shop (6 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL