We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Axtell Drawing Board Gospel applications? (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2866 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
Wow, I just watched on www.youtube.com the absolutely outstanding tutorial by "Professor QB" (just put that in the YouTube search box, click on ProfessorQB subscribers) on how to properly use the Axtell Drawing Board for a kids show. Any ideas how this Board trick can be used for a Gospel message/setting for Sunday School kids? I am most eager to try it out as I have an Axtell Drawing Board I bought years ago and only used it once in another non-Gospel Halloween program to make a trick or treat announcement or something similar.
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2866 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
Wow, thanks TBaer for all the Axtell routine(s) you sent me, really outstanding. Much appreciated.

My initial thought was to use Proverbs 15:13a and have a general discussion on this verse with the kids. Using the NKJV, "A merry heart makes a cheerful countenance", I will give all kinds of goofy definitions for the long word "countenance". If only what I knew what it meant! (the Board would then start secretly looking at me, smiling when I was wondering out loud how our merry hearts could possibly be reflected on our faces, etc.).

When I finally figure it out by seeing the Board smile and realize that what it means in part to have a cheerful countenance, then finishing up the routine/message singing the lyric video with the kids "If You're Happy And You Know It" (then your face should surely show it) from the Cedarmont Kids DVD music series.

The "magician not knowing what's going on" premise used in the excellent ProfessorQB youtube tutorial above is the way to go with the Axtell Drawing Board for sure.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7370 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Another verse that could be used is John 10:10B - "I have come that they might have life, and have it to the full." (NIV)

Jesus wants us to have lives that are alive and full. Living the Christian life doesn't have to be (and shouldn't be) boring. Some people look at the Christian life as being a life full of restrictive rules, instead of being a life of freedom and grace.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
jeff boren
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of jeff boren
I used it to set up my next trick by having a conversation similar to the one that comes with the Board in the instructions. The board started asking me questions about my show and different tricks and asked a set up question for the message that was coming in the next trick. Then he told me what a terrible ventriloquist I was which gave me a reason to erase him and go onto the trick with a gospel message he set up for me.
EVENTUCATOR
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of EVENTUCATOR
I have 'just' started using my board, after about 3 - 4 years in the cupboard. I have watched "Prof. QB" and totally agree with all he says. But that is OK if you use the board with different audiences each time you use it. (For the element of 'surprise') Now that I have finally started using the board I feel it is a shame if I can only use it once in a while. I assist with a Children's 'After School Club' (or two) and to wait for the audience to 'change' could take 5 -6 years??? Well, we are doing a themed term of the "I AM's" and Thomas the disciple helps link each session by having 'doubts' and asking a question or two, (revision). A puppet is supposed to be "Thomas" but due to lack of staff and the need to use the board, the board became "Thomas". I did everything Prof. QB suggests and the element of surprise was "FANTASTIC". So, next time he may not have the element of surprise, but he will be the 'guest' speaker until the program finishes. The up side is that I will still 'introduce' Thomas the same way, as we do sometimes have 'new' children join the club, and hopefully there will still be some surprise, and those that know what will happen still have the :Mystery" of how a whiteboard can talk....... Questions - Suggestions?????
mrpiper
View Profile
Regular user
Georgia
125 Posts

Profile of mrpiper
Thank you Eventucator. This is a very good recommendation. I have a small circuit of churches that I have the privilege to serve and I often feel like I need to rotate my show every year so that no same venue gets the same show twice for the same group of children. Having seen many people use puppets over and over and actually have audiences REQUEST that the puppet be part of the show, I don't see why my Axtell board character couldn't be used in that same way! I really appreciate your thought process and you have given me confidence to get the board back out and use it regularly, whenever I choose.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Axtell Drawing Board Gospel applications? (4 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL