The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Empowerment effects (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
Quote:
On Mar 18, 2019, tommy wrote:
I think all the magic in all the world begins with an incredulous proposition. I have never heard of anybody doing credible magic.

The may well be true, but has nothing to do with any "power of positive thinking" as a story line.

You seem to think it is a viable approach - so, I asked to see it done.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
How much are you offering me to do what you are asking exactly?
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
adrianrbf
View Profile
Regular user
Switzerland
115 Posts

Profile of adrianrbf
Quote:
On Mar 17, 2019, tommy wrote:
When a magician starts talking about the power of positive thinking, then his audience will start to smile and receive the proposition with absolute incredulity and be rather amused than empowered.

Please bear in mind that magic does not only happen in the context of some sort of magical performance. It's also uncle Harry doing magic tricks with his godchild on a rainy afternoon. It's done by hospital magicians in order to cheer up, and, yes, empower the patients at a hospital. I read a book about magic with children in a psychotherapy context. I know of mind benders used in coaching and in adult education, so why not magic?

You do not even have to frame an effect as a magical performance. It might not be "a magician" at all, who starts talking about the power of positive thinking, it might be "an adult education tutor". But then, somehow, his talking unexpectedly turns into some sort of magic trick. I am planning to do this in an adult education programme this summer.

I am not sure if I will ever be bold enough to do something like this in the context of an academic paper at a conference in front of well-known scholars, but I can tell you I am tempted. Smile
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Our Magic happens in the context of the real world and not in the context of a magical fantasy world. The proposition put to the audience is that which cannot be in the real world. The audience goes along with the unbelievable proposition for their amusement. The magician then apparently proves it true. It can not be, in the real world, but there it is! That is the dilemma of it.

"Now babble nonsense about the power of concentrated thought upon even inanimate objects, requesting parties to whisper name and number and mentally urge the required action."

SWE

The notion of mind over matter in Our Magic is as old as the hills.

Tommy
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
At a nursing home I noticed a man waving a wooden coaster at the TV occasionally. His daughter explained,
"He sees others pointing an object at the TV to turn it on or off, others pointing to change channels.
He has decided that his job is to make the commercials go away. See - it works!"
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Go for it, Ken!

Tommy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Empowerment effects (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL