We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Going to try using a str*pper deck (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

Profile of Terrible Wizard
Never used one before.

Tips and ideas welcome! Smile
mlippo
View Profile
Inner circle
Trieste (Italy)
1087 Posts

Profile of mlippo
Quote:
On Feb 27, 2019, Terrible Wizard wrote:
Never used one before.

Tips and ideas welcome! Smile

Personally I've never owned one, but I'm sure great things could be done with it. But as for all things, before asking for ideas and tips, I'd learn the basics of this instrument. I know Daryl made a DVD with him teaching, but I'm sure there are many more sources out there which I'm sure not you have explored.

I'm just joking, of course, but think if someone came to the Café saying "I found a pack of cards in my Granny's kitchen drawer. I'd like to start using it. Tips and ideas?" Smile

Saying this, since the title of your post is "Going to try ..."

Sorry if I misunderstood
Mark
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

If someone asked me what tips I'd have with a newly found pack of cards I'd give them a mix of basic handling tips, the names of some cool tricks to research, and list a couple of resources to buy. Smile

Regarding resources for my new interest in str*pper decks, I've just ordered two types of deck (gonna get a third soon), Daryl's Essentials download, Jon Thompson's Strip DVD (also have his Stripped and Stacked ebook), and I already have the EoCT (and will go through the relevant chapter).

But tips are always welcome Smile I've learned stuff off this forum before, and hope to do so again Smile
mlippo
View Profile
Inner circle
Trieste (Italy)
1087 Posts

Profile of mlippo
After reading your reply, I stand with what I said in my response to your opening post.
Good luck anyway.

Mark
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1566 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
mlippo
View Profile
Inner circle
Trieste (Italy)
1087 Posts

Profile of mlippo
Quote:
On Feb 27, 2019, Terrible Wizard wrote:
If someone asked me what tips I'd have with a newly found pack of cards I'd give them a mix of basic handling tips, the names of some cool tricks to research, and list a couple of resources to buy. Smile

Regarding resources for my new interest in str*pper decks, I've just ordered two types of deck (gonna get a third soon), Daryl's Essentials download, Jon Thompson's Strip DVD (also have his Stripped and Stacked ebook), and I already have the EoCT (and will go through the relevant chapter).

But tips are always welcome Smile I've learned stuff off this forum before, and hope to do so again Smile

Just to add one or two thoughts ...

So you started by getting two or three sources, two or three different decks (???) and all this before starting your journey along this path.
To make a comparison, when I decided to really delve into mem deck stuff, I did some research on the web (Tamariz, Aronson, Aragon, Redford, Close) and only then bought ONE book: the Italian version of Mnemonica by Tamariz. The best 50 Euros spent on magic in the past five years at least.

I read and re-read the book, while learning the stack. Then I toyed and tried in private many things from the book, before making a short list of what I liked the best and only then (/after a few more moths had passed) went out to try them at the club or with laymen. And mind you, that during this period, I almost completely left aside sleight of hand card magic!

Only in a second moment I got books by Denis Behr and now, the Italian version of Pit Hartling's In Order to Amaze.
Why am I telling you all this? Because I'm sure that if I'd bought all these sources right from the beginning, I would've been overwhelmed by info and distracted in learning the basics of memorised decks magic.

Dunno if someone else agrees with me ..

Mark
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

Quote:
On Feb 27, 2019, Kaliix wrote:
Cosmos Duo by Greg Rostami

Cheers Kalix Smile
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

Mlippo:
I totally understand, and agree, with the danger of overwhelm. It happens to me a lot! Smile

But there's also something to be said for getting into something fairly extensively before one can really decide if it's worth devoting serious time to or not.

It's also a bit of an unfair comparison to compare Mmemonica to Daryl's Essentials DVD + another beginner DVD. Mmemonica is a huge volume! And as regards me getting multiple decks, it's partly because they come with the instruction (which is what I really wanted) and partly because I need to see which brand works best for me. I don't want to give up on a principle because of a poorly manufactured prop - which being as in this case we're only talking cards, aren't too difficult to get a few varities of so as to check out. Smile.

In short, I doubt whether two DVDs and an e-book are going to overwhelm me so much as they are going to show me whether or not this tool is one I'm going to pursue much further. I'd rather lose money than time Smile
mlippo
View Profile
Inner circle
Trieste (Italy)
1087 Posts

Profile of mlippo
Good reply, Terrible .....
:-)

Mark
Bill08
View Profile
Special user
Montreal
632 Posts

Profile of Bill08
I owned one in high school and pretty much used it for pulling the four aces from a shuffled deck or finding the spectator's card. Recently bought one from Hanrahan but haven't tested it out yet. There's another craftsman, Slimcard, in Mt. St. Hilaire, who makes several variations
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3387 Posts

Profile of Julie
If you haven't already, you might want to consider simple End Strippers. 'Just as easy to use as the standard Side Strippers, but will fool others not acquainted with this design.

Julie
Bill08
View Profile
Special user
Montreal
632 Posts

Profile of Bill08
Just being able to pull four of a kind like that, could be used in preparation for a lot of great tricks - I'm thinking of one from Paul Gordon's Powerful Impromptu Magic video
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1234 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
Here is my experience with the stripper deck. Terrible Wizard, I did something like what you did, ordered several dvd's. I had high hopes. But once I did Card College, I realized some simple controls are not suspected by the spectator and basically do the same thing as a stripper. Without having to worry that the spectator didn't reverse it the wrong way. I am not trying to discourage you, just tell you my experience. I can have someone think of a card, bottom palm it and have it out of the deck so quick; a stripper deck could not help me with this or many other things. Even though there are some great things you can do with it, I found that sleights are actually easier. A great thing about a short card is that it is impossible to mess up as a key card, unlike strippers.
diamondjack
View Profile
New user
orlando,fl
58 Posts

Profile of diamondjack
There is a book called "A New Angle" that deals exclusively with effects with a stripper deck.
notasperfectasyou
View Profile
New user
DC Metro Area
27 Posts

Profile of notasperfectasyou
I have been working on a piece that involves stripping the entire deck into red and black cards. I'm hoping someone might have some tips on trying to strip the entire deck in one "cut". For me, I have tried different holds, different amounts of pressure and different speeds. But, I only seem to be able to do a perfect 26 red and 26 black about 1 out of every 6 or 7 tries, which is not consistent enough to use in a presentation. I really need to get this in 1 pull and the hindu shuffle idea is really not working well for me either. hoping one of you knows a cool way to make the stripped deck strip better! Thanks, Ken
Boomer
View Profile
Special user
Livermore, CA
504 Posts

Profile of Boomer
Maybe you need to use a different style deck.

There are multiple ways they can be cut/trimmed/etc.

Dave
jim ferguson
View Profile
Loyal user
Ayrshire, Scotland
280 Posts

Profile of jim ferguson
Quote:
On Aug 3, 2020, notasperfectasyou wrote:
I have been working on a piece that involves stripping the entire deck into red and black cards. I'm hoping someone might have some tips on trying to strip the entire deck in one "cut". For me, I have tried different holds, different amounts of pressure and different speeds. But, I only seem to be able to do a perfect 26 red and 26 black about 1 out of every 6 or 7 tries, which is not consistent enough to use in a presentation. I really need to get this in 1 pull and the hindu shuffle idea is really not working well for me either. hoping one of you knows a cool way to make the stripped deck strip better! Thanks, Ken

Why do they have to be stripped out in one go ? Or do you need to keep the order ?

If not, and you are using a table - do a tabled riffle shuffle, then two or three follow-up cuts. To cut, pull blocks from the bottom and place on top (similar to the action in the Up The Ladder Cut), but really stripping out the turned half of the cards.

This is how I used to handle Out Of This World.

Jim
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5065 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
I strip my own and I use a very small brief. This makes it harder to separate. The best method I found (with nearly 99% accuracy) Is, once I am holding each end with thumb and 1st finger near the edge of the corners. Give the deck a light twist (like wringing out a wash rag) and pull as you twist (lightly). Separation is always better when I twist as I pull. I hope that translates ok.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
notasperfectasyou
View Profile
New user
DC Metro Area
27 Posts

Profile of notasperfectasyou
Thanks for the advice. The way the routine works, I need to get the strip done in one pull. This is part of a boxed Oil and Water routine that uses this as a kicker at the end.

I will try the idea of twisting the deck, that makes sense. Thank you.

Has anyone tried fan powder on a stripped deck, might that help, or make things worse?
jim ferguson
View Profile
Loyal user
Ayrshire, Scotland
280 Posts

Profile of jim ferguson
Hi again.

I used to do an Oil And Water routine, which also had the kicker ending of the principle cards (three red and three black) springing back to alternating order, and the deck sorting into reds and blacks.

I too, started with the Stripper deck (I was already doing essentially the same thing to set up Out Of This World), and thought it would work well to set up the kicker for Oil And Water.
I handled the deck as I explained in my above post.

Anyway, I ended up abandoning the Stripper deck, and using a different gimmicked deck. With this method I don't have to do anything. The deck can be spread face up at the start, clearly mixed. And at the end are spread showing the separation.

The nature of the deck means it can't really be used for much else, besides the Oil And Water routine. You could do something like Dr Daleys Last Trick, or maybe a Two Card Transposition, but not much else.

I am happy to explain the deck in PM if you wish, but it will only really be an option if you only planned on using the deck for this one piece. If not, then the Stripper will be of more utility.

Jim
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Going to try using a str*pper deck (3 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL