The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » How can Hamman count be effective? (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
martin1025
View Profile
Regular user
170 Posts

Profile of martin1025
The first time I saw the Hamman count done in a deceptive way (in my opinion) was when I saw Darwin Ortiz perform his trick "The Color of Money" in his Scams And Fantasies With Cards DVD Vol. 2. I noticed the cards where almost vertical and the grip was slightly different. I also thought you could not stare at the count but after watching him do the count I though it would fly by even if they were looking directly at the cards. I do the count twice at around 0:30 on the following video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkhrViQXoOo
martini
View Profile
Special user
delta, pennsylvania
548 Posts

Profile of martini
Greetings Teddyboy;
All of the comments above are worth serious consideration, as the Hamman Count is very deceptive done right.

I have used it for over 40 years performing Bruce Cervon's Dirty Deal. Early on I made the same mistake of
many others and had that slight pause. Later on a trip to England and spending time with the brilliant magician
and magic dealer, Ken Brooke, Ken taught me a very valuable lesson on practice. I was told to do it with no pause
and to practice it at least an hour a day in a mirror until I could not see anything but a straight count with no
pause at all. Then he told me that once I had the count down smooth without pause, to do it again in front of the
mirror without looking down.

Ken's feelings on this, is that if you can do it without looking, then obviously to a spectator you cannot be
doing anything tricky. He said that if you constantly look down during the count, you are un-knowingly calling
calling attention to your hands at the wrong time.

This advice has been worth its weight in gold to me not only with Dirty Deal, but in everything that I work
on or practice.
Just my 2 cents for whatever help it can give
All the Best
Marty
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Excellent post Martini. Thanks for sharing Ken's wisdom.
The Burnaby Kid
View Profile
Inner circle
St. John's, Canada
3158 Posts

Profile of The Burnaby Kid
Quote:
On Mar 5, 2019, martin1025 wrote:
The first time I saw the Hamman count done in a deceptive way (in my opinion) was when I saw Darwin Ortiz perform his trick "The Color of Money" in his Scams And Fantasies With Cards DVD Vol. 2. I noticed the cards where almost vertical and the grip was slightly different. I also thought you could not stare at the count but after watching him do the count I though it would fly by even if they were looking directly at the cards. I do the count twice at around 0:30 on the following video.

Those look great. Nice work.
JACK, the Jolly Almanac of Card Knavery, a free card magic resource for beginners.
martini
View Profile
Special user
delta, pennsylvania
548 Posts

Profile of martini
Greetings Magicfish;
I have learned so much from Ken over the years that has helped me to be where I am.

Ken had the best instructions anywhere, so detailed and was like a personal lesson
with him. Ken would always spend time with anyone who had a problem doing anything that
he himself knew how to do. If he did not know, he would tell you who could help or what
book you could get the information from.

That dedication plus all of Ken's advice were most welcome when I went into the magic
business. There are a lot of people on this forum that are equally helpful when questions
are asked, and that is what the Café is all about. I am always happy to chirp in if it is
something I can help with.

All the Best
Marty
FlightRisk
View Profile
Loyal user
North Carolina
294 Posts

Profile of FlightRisk
Duvivier's "Printing" uses the Hamman count. There are alternate handlings, like the one from Daryl that are easier, but if you want to practice your skill with a really strong effect (IMHO) that is one.
ThomasJ
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
1000 Posts

Profile of ThomasJ
Quote:
On Mar 5, 2019, martin1025 wrote:

In the write up of “The Color of Money”, Darwin gives a great explantion of the count and touches to make it deceptive. He suggests using a “one-two, three-four, five-six...” rhythm to make the swap feel natural. If you can get your hands on a copy, it’s well worth studying.

TJ
Christian de Punto
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
174 Posts

Profile of Christian de Punto
Quote:
On Feb 27, 2019, NicholasD wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 27, 2019, magicfish wrote:
A well executed Hamman Count is very convincing.

Agreed. There should be no pause when the switch is done.

you do not have to hurry up. I slow down all counting to the speed I can perform the change, so at the change is no rythm-change. and the sound is important too. I try to produce same "snap" of the pulled down cards all time. its quit easy to make.
beside that I think that the count shown slower is even more convincing, because you clearly see each card sliding down from the top.
you just have to be carefull the audience to loook more from up at the cards, not against the edges.

or you do like thommy wonder. you put a pause with purpos. he is pointing at his watch, because its part of the story. in a classic wild-card routine, you could be "surprised" by the single card.
Kimura
View Profile
Special user
519 Posts

Profile of Kimura
Here's Jack Tighe doing an absolutely burnable Hamman, no reason why anyone here can't do it:
https://www.instagram.com/p/B3u8AuGHpny/
Christian de Punto
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
174 Posts

Profile of Christian de Punto
Quote:
On Oct 19, 2019, Kimura wrote:
Here's Jack Tighe doing an absolutely burnable Hamman, no reason why anyone here can't do it:

very nice! and nice, calm speed. interesting that he is not using the index-finger of the right hand. great work!
Claudio
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1946 Posts

Profile of Claudio
As I have posted in another thread, the Hamman at the fingertips is quite deceptive too. Here I perform it with 5 cards, but you might as well use 7 or 9, it won't make any difference. Poor resolution, but you get the gist. It's quite easy to learn too. And the grip and mechanics are more like other magicians' counts: EC, Jordan etc.

Rupert Pupkin
View Profile
Inner circle
1452 Posts

Profile of Rupert Pupkin
Quote:
On Oct 19, 2019, Kimura wrote:

Wonderful.
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2831 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Claudio,

I have a feeling I may have asked you this already, perhaps on that other thread, but do you know of a good source that teaches this, preferably slowly and in detail? Daryl does something like this in his Encylopedia, but it goes by pretty fast.

Thanks,

Bob
Wordsworth
View Profile
Veteran user
324 Posts

Profile of Wordsworth
Hi Bob,
I could be wrong on this, but I believe Ammar teaches this on easy to master #6, for "oil and queens". When you say slowly and in detail, that's exactly how he approaches things in those videos. L&L sells those pretty cheaply, too, and there is a lot of good material on them. If you're interested in that one, let me know, and I can dig out my ancient VHS tape and watch it and see if the Hamman count is in fact on there. Someone on the Café no doubt will know the answer to that one already, of course, and might chime in to confirm.
Thanks
Claudio
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1946 Posts

Profile of Claudio
Bob,

The Hamman Count from a dealing grip can be found on Master Card Technique Vol 1 - World’s Greatest Magic

I did not buy the video, but, the execution of every sleight, that I saw on a trailer I believe, was very smooth. I learnt this HC handling by watching the trailer.

I’ll try to detail (my interpretation of) the sleight by PM later on this week, if you'd like.
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2831 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Thanks, Claudio. Don't worry about PM'ing me (although I'd love to get a PM sometime and hear how you're doing). I now remember that you'd given me this info before. At the time I found that the explanation on that disk went by too fast for me. But now that I more or less have the EC down, I may be able to figure out the explanation on that disk more readily.

Wordsworth, I'll check into the Ammar disk. I'm not finding it in my collection at the moment, but I think I own it.

Perhaps the most important thing to me about the HC: Can someone recommend a handling that's easy to learn and that actually is "easy to master"? I believe magicfish and others when they say that the masters (and Claudio is clearly a master in this regard) can execute the sleight without suspicion, but what about us ordinary (and relatively inexperienced) mortals? I've heard so many comments to the effect that the HC is a really hard sleight to do well, that I wonder if I should even bother to learn it. Are there alternatives, e. g., multiple EC's, that may be less efficient but which accomplish the same thing?

Thanks everybody,

Bob
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Kaps at 1:17 looks pretty good Smile https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufyCwkc0M6I
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Glenn Morphew
View Profile
Elite user
Chicago
486 Posts

Profile of Glenn Morphew
My Hamman Count isn't perfect but it isn't horrible either. I typically make a gentle swing from my right to my left most spectator when I do the count but for the sake of close scrutiny, this is just from a static position.

Visit www.povmagician.com for
The Rub-a-dub Deluxe Suite
The Morphew One Hand Top Palm
Bob's 3 Shell Boot Camp and more...
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2831 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Look awfully good to me... !
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2831 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Let me reword my question above in a more useful way: if I want to learn the HC, can anyone recommend a handling that would give me the best chance of learning it, and eventually learning it well?

Thanks,

Bob
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » How can Hamman count be effective? (8 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL