The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Beginners Cold Reading Books (20 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
CGould
View Profile
New user
Canada
64 Posts

Profile of CGould
I am interested in reading some material on Cold Reading, any recommendations on good beginners books? Videos/DVD's work too but I prefer books most days so I can flag and reference when needed.
Smoking Camel
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1002 Posts

Profile of Smoking Camel
The easiest way to learn the tarot ever by dusty white
Psychic directions by Jerome Finley
Cold read the future with numerology by Richard Webster
The dance Brad Henderson
And if you can find a copy - anything by Scott grossberg

Do not buy Ian Rowlands full facts of cold reading book, it will pollute your mind and have you barking up the wrong tree. By all means read it once you have a system in place to enhance what you are doing but it is not a beginners book at all. He does have another one called “how to start giving readings” which is worthwhile.

To get your practice fast, go onto Facebook and join psychic readings groups then post that you are available for free readings.
I no longer smoke camel cigarettes.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18262 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Depends on what you want to do and how you want to do it..

How do you want to be seen, do you want to be able to add it to other things, and which of the main oracles do you like the look of?

Too much will be overload, and above all else, how do reading align with your beliefs and world view?

Why do you want to give readings?
CGould
View Profile
New user
Canada
64 Posts

Profile of CGould
Quote:
On Feb 27, 2019, IAIN wrote:
Depends on what you want to do and how you want to do it..

How do you want to be seen, do you want to be able to add it to other things, and which of the main oracles do you like the look of?

Too much will be overload, and above all else, how do reading align with your beliefs and world view?

Why do you want to give readings?


To be honest I just want to know how it works, some methods, practice a little for my own enjoyment. I am not one that believes I will ever have an act or anything. I stumbled into this all as a means to keep my mind busy and the more I read the more I want to know how the mind works, I was reading some cold reading threads and it has come up in many other books I've read or acts I watched so I wanted it to be the next thing I "studied" in a sense. My girlfriend has a "psychic" acquaintance who often leaves her frustrated with predictions (you will be divorced 3 times blah blah blah) though other times throws some subtle truths at her. I don't want to be that person lol, I just want to sharpen my mind a little I guess by studying what interests me.
CGould
View Profile
New user
Canada
64 Posts

Profile of CGould
I should add I never plan to be a "psychic", medium or anything like that but I find lots of mentalists use effects that seem to employ cold reading so I figure its worth my time to read up on.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18262 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Ok, so how it works depends on how you are using the term cold reading...there's been some confusion over the term...

to some:
cold-reading is giving a reading without stock lines/phrases/statistical averages, and its just you and the 'oracle' of choice (tarot, palm, runes etc), and you use the rules of that oracle...

to others:
cold-reading is using stock lines/phrases/scripts/averages - and you apply them to the person, and then use the feedback they give to alter the next thing you say...barnum statements and the forer effect get thrown into this side of things too. you can read up on those two things on Wikipedia and its pretty accurate...

sooooooooooooo….

if you want the latter, I say get Ian Rowland's book, because it (from memory at least) covers that side of things and a lot more too...you can search on here as well to read lots of reviews...

if you want the former, then you'll have to think about which of the many, many oracles out there you are interested in, and pick one... I would say look at Paul Voodini's work on tarot and palm reading...

if you would rather have an overview of it all, then read Richard Webster's psychometry a-z, ted andrews book on psychometry (he was a shut-eye and a bereavement counsellor) and then maybe the Peter hurkos biography and Nightmare Alley...that'll give you a bigger scope of the subject from different angles...the peter hurkos biography is one of the very best books on a person who was "for real", but if you know mentalism, you'll get a huge amount of inspiration from the book too, or at least, a good laugh...
CGould
View Profile
New user
Canada
64 Posts

Profile of CGould
Quote:
On Feb 27, 2019, IAIN wrote:

to others:
cold-reading is using stock lines/phrases/scripts/averages - and you apply them to the person, and then use the feedback they give to alter the next thing you say...barnum statements and the forer effect get thrown into this side of things too. you can read up on those two things on Wikipedia and its pretty accurate...

sooooooooooooo….

if you want the latter, I say get Ian Rowland's book, because it (from memory at least) covers that side of things and a lot more too...you can search on here as well to read lots of reviews...



^ that there is my interest in it... If you haven't caught on I've never really been a fan of tarot cards or oracles and such. Personal preference I guess.

That being said, if cold reading is the wrong term please what would the proper term be?
CGould
View Profile
New user
Canada
64 Posts

Profile of CGould
Which book by Ian Rowland? There was two recommended above though one was recommended to not be read until I had a better grasp on the topic.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18262 Posts

Profile of IAIN
For me, cold-reading is a messed up term, if you're giving a reading "cold" just call it a reading... I've no idea what to call the stat averages/stock phrases etc, apart from a bit of a waste of time (and potentially very dangerous)…to make it more annoying, in some countries, going to an audition and reading, is also called cold-reading...anyway...

this might help...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULQ71eUvNiw

if you like what he has to say, buy his book...
Smoking Camel
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1002 Posts

Profile of Smoking Camel
Quote:
On Feb 27, 2019, CGould wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 27, 2019, IAIN wrote:

to others:
cold-reading is using stock lines/phrases/scripts/averages - and you apply them to the person, and then use the feedback they give to alter the next thing you say...barnum statements and the forer effect get thrown into this side of things too. you can read up on those two things on Wikipedia and its pretty accurate...

sooooooooooooo….

if you want the latter, I say get Ian Rowland's book, because it (from memory at least) covers that side of things and a lot more too...you can search on here as well to read lots of reviews...



^ that there is my interest in it... If you haven't caught on I've never really been a fan of tarot cards or oracles and such. Personal preference I guess.

That being said, if cold reading is the wrong term please what would the proper term be?


A really rubbish way to give a reading. Seriously.
I no longer smoke camel cigarettes.
Smoking Camel
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1002 Posts

Profile of Smoking Camel
Just had a thought, if you want to watch a pro give some readings, watch Luke jermays Q and A act of his Mind DVD set. There’s then an hours discussion on how he is generating the material for the reading.
I no longer smoke camel cigarettes.
CGould
View Profile
New user
Canada
64 Posts

Profile of CGould
Quote:
On Feb 27, 2019, Smoking Camel wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 27, 2019, CGould wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 27, 2019, IAIN wrote:

to others:
cold-reading is using stock lines/phrases/scripts/averages - and you apply them to the person, and then use the feedback they give to alter the next thing you say...barnum statements and the forer effect get thrown into this side of things too. you can read up on those two things on Wikipedia and its pretty accurate...

sooooooooooooo….

if you want the latter, I say get Ian Rowland's book, because it (from memory at least) covers that side of things and a lot more too...you can search on here as well to read lots of reviews...



^ that there is my interest in it... If you haven't caught on I've never really been a fan of tarot cards or oracles and such. Personal preference I guess.

That being said, if cold reading is the wrong term please what would the proper term be?


A really rubbish way to give a reading. Seriously.


Care to explain? I'm always game to listen, as I said I am here to read/research/learn.... and then apply what I find suites me.
Smoking Camel
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1002 Posts

Profile of Smoking Camel
Sure I will explain. Because when you are reading from that perspective, you are reading from the perspective of trying to get “hits” and show off.

That’s not what readings are about.

Readings are a co-creation, a piece of poetry between the reader and the sitter where all the focus is on the sitter and their experience.

To get the depth and substance required to really transport someone, and make them feel special, unique and uplifted in every way you need more than a few stock lines and some clever linguistic plots.

If you want to appear like some mystical Svengali that knows all about people just for kicks then stick with traditional mentalism. It’s much much easier.

Finally, people that get readings have a kind of “authenticity” attenae and they will sense very quickly that you have no clue what you are talking about.
I no longer smoke camel cigarettes.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18262 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Or "but doesn't that apply to most people?!"...
Smoking Camel
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1002 Posts

Profile of Smoking Camel
Quote:
On Feb 27, 2019, IAIN wrote:
Or "but doesn't that apply to most people?!"...


ROFL 🤣
I no longer smoke camel cigarettes.
Smoking Camel
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1002 Posts

Profile of Smoking Camel
I’m gonna bounce and go to bed but one book that really enhanced my readings is called “intuition on demand”
I no longer smoke camel cigarettes.
CGould
View Profile
New user
Canada
64 Posts

Profile of CGould
Well written and that's a lot to process, I do however really appreciate your input and view on the topic...

Now excuse my ignorance if you wish to call it that, what about employing some basic reading techniques to build a quick, more personal relationship with the person prior to another effect or such. Never do I want to pretend to be someone who knows all, hell I don't even know if I ever plan to ever do any readings myself. If I am making any sense...

Honestly this is why I wanted material to read, more to become more educated on the techniques and see if its anything I ever really care to partake in to begin with. We all find effects, acts, tricks (if you wanna use the term) or techniques that suit us more then others, I find watching readings interesting, never been a fan of being read and less of a fan of someone who claims to predict your future. I simply want to know some of the theory behind it and how it works.

No where did I say that I want to start doing readings, I actually said a few times I didn't really intend to do any of it as an act. I just want to learn how it works, to educate myself I guess through some beginners reading.
Smoking Camel
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1002 Posts

Profile of Smoking Camel
Quote:
On Feb 27, 2019, CGould wrote:
Well written and that's a lot to process, I do however really appreciate your input and view on the topic...

Now excuse my ignorance if you wish to call it that, what about employing some basic reading techniques to build a quick, more personal relationship with the person prior to another effect or such. Never do I want to pretend to be someone who knows all, hell I don't even know if I ever plan to ever do any readings myself. If I am making any sense...

Honestly this is why I wanted material to read, more to become more educated on the techniques and see if its anything I ever really care to partake in to begin with. We all find effects, acts, tricks (if you wanna use the term) or techniques that suit us more then others, I find watching readings interesting, never been a fan of being read and less of a fan of someone who claims to predict your future. I simply want to know some of the theory behind it and how it works.

No where did I say that I want to start doing readings, I actually said a few times I didn't really intend to do any of it as an act. I just want to learn how it works, to educate myself I guess through some beginners reading.


For techniques on how to build rapport - I recommend how to win friends and influence people.

If you started with a reading, then went onto do an effect you would disappoint most people as they will be way more interested in the readings. On his “palm reading for magicians dvd” Paul Voodini basically says, once people know you can read palms, they are not gonna wanna see your effects.

If you just want to know how it works I recommend two books

Ian Rowlands full facts of cold reading (contrary to what I said earlier)
Intuition on demand

The first is a breakdown of the verbal techniques you could employ. But these won’t help you when you’re reading for someone that can’t make up their mind as to which job offer to take.

The second is a break down as to how real psychics generate the material for their readings.
I no longer smoke camel cigarettes.
CGould
View Profile
New user
Canada
64 Posts

Profile of CGould
Perfect, thank you, I appreciate your advice!
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
1705 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
Building a stronger rapport with someone in the context of a routine is not a bad thing. It makes you more memorable in a good way. And I think one of the most powerful ways to do that in one or two sentences is to put yourself in their place for a moment and just say what you would feel. Phrased along the lines of "I get the feeling you are a little bothered by the idea that I might be able to read your mind? Don't worry. It isn't like that. But I also get the idea that even if I could read your mind like a book, you'd turn out to be someone who is genuine, insightful, and caring, so you wouldn't have anything to worry about anyway." Or whatever fits the situation at hand.

You can also use some stock lines to make a routine more memorable. Richard Webster talked about this in one of his audio CDs on cold reading. (Books are better, but that's neither here nor there.) He mentions the idea of using a brief reading as a way to apparently divine the card a participant is thinking of. Paul Voodini does something similar in his Hand of Fate routine.

If you are not going to learn an oracle, this is a use for stock readings that I think can be really effective and helpful. In the right place, at the right time, of course.

I really like oracles, myself. I'm friends with several of the ladies at my local bank because I once had time to fill and read a palm. Then another one wanted her palm read. A week later, I'm back and one who had been out the day I was in last was watching for me so she could ask for a reading. A new employee sees me in her line (all women, so far, not being sexist, just saying it like it has happened) and one of the others calls across the bank "get him to read your palm!" Five minutes of investment in each and I'm seeing baby pictures, hearing hopes and plans, being treated like a friend. I love it.

And one word of advice, no matter which kind of reading you want to pursue: it is ever so much better if you honestly like people. That sounds trite and lame, but it is true.

-Patrick
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Beginners Cold Reading Books (20 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL