The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical equations » » Intuition Test (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Brad Ballew
View Profile
New user
Nashville, TN
74 Posts

Profile of Brad Ballew
Still a work in progress and not the best performance. I tend to over think things when I'm on camera.

It's a card effect that has the spectator select a random card from a shuffled deck and then discover its suit and value using their intuition.

This can be done hands off with the spectator doing all the shuffling and procedure. However, for the sake of moving things along at a reasonable pace, I did most of the handling.

Would love to hear some feedback!

https://vimeo.com/320368100/6d3c842bd0
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4714 Posts

Profile of landmark
Brad, that's a fun principle to play around with.
Sometimes it helps to think of a magic trick like a joke--if the set-up is too long, the punchline better be really, really funny.
Same with magic--a long set up demands a socko ending.
Frankly the revelation of a card is not that socko an ending.
But that's okay--most card tricks don't have a very mindblowing conclusion.
So for most card tricks, you can't set up for a long time.
You had about seven minutes there before any magic at all happened. Think what would happen if you tried to tell a seven minute joke before you got to the punchline...

So three quick suggestions:
1) Write a script for this trick that takes no longer than three minutes to perform, tops.
2) Make the final revelation stronger--maybe the face up cards turn out to be the other three of the same value, or something like that.
3) If the premise is she's using her intuition, then it's no use for her to look at the cards before you shuffle them. Even though the audience member knows the premise is just a game, it needs to be consistent for the game to be fun. She has to look at the cards after all the shuffles.
adiabaticman
View Profile
Regular user
Indiana
139 Posts

Profile of adiabaticman
I really enjoyed the trick! I personally have no problem with it being a little long. I think you presented it very well.
Watching those electrons dance on the adiabat, from Franck-Condon to the Asymptote.
RLFrame
View Profile
Elite user
447 Posts

Profile of RLFrame
I am liking this more and more. Brad changed the premise slightly from "The Anti Card Trick" to "The Intuition Test." In my never humble opinion, another slight change of premise might both streamline it and improve it... at least for my tastes. The premise would be that keeping a secret is conscious decision, but the subconscious mind operated by its own set of rules. "It doesn't always work because everyone is different, but sometimes I can trick the subconscious mind into revealing the secret before the conscious mind can overrule it."

After the shuffle, the guest would be asked to freely think of any card (but not the ace of spades, etc.) Turning his head away, the entertainer would then show the guest 'about' half of the cards, then ask her if she saw her card. Either way she answers, the half with her card is handed to her, and she will remove it, hide it away and mix the rest of the cards. The entertainer will now turn around and explain that she now has a secret: a card she freely thought of and removed from a shuffled deck. She will then make a number of seemingly unimportant decisions and actions (intuitions) which will be cast as the her subconscious mind betraying her secret and revealing the card.

Some good thinking on this Brad.
stickmondoo
View Profile
Loyal user
256 Posts

Profile of stickmondoo
I love this trick. The only thing I would change is when dealing the seven piles when you have to flip the packet over before you deal the next 7 I would not mention you do this and just turn it over as you overhand shuffle the cards to mix them a little more. Just do it, don’t say it. If you hadn’t mentioned you were turning the packet over you would have fooled me. I’ve never seen that type of layout mix for the C@+% before.
Mark Timon
View Profile
Elite user
404 Posts

Profile of Mark Timon
Please don't say: ¨I have a regular deck of 52 playing cards¨, only magicians say that! I watched for about 3 minutes before stopping. Too long. Too serious,I don't see the fun here, its just a long puzzle... but a nice home!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical equations » » Intuition Test (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL