The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Is Smash & Stab For Suitable Family Audiences ? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
I would like to know peoples thoughts on performing a smash & stab type routine suitable for a family audience ?
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
No.
My reason is simple... This props and premise are easily duplicated by any kid that can hammer a nail into a board. I would rather see a guillotine used than this trick.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2234 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
No, mentalism tricks are not suitable for kids watching. I use to do the beer bottle version but it did not have any impact for the kids. Best to do for adults only.
Magic, Illusions, Juggling, Puppet & Parrot Show ^0^
http://www.louhilario.net
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
There is a routine of that genre that plays OK for a mixed group that includes kids. It is played for comedy and not danger. It is the "Egg-Roulette" or "Smash the egg and make a mess" routine. It is the same premise as all the others but the danger item is not a spike, nail, knife or corkscrew but rather a raw egg. The script is about the same (play it straight and it gets even more laughs). The methodology is the same as Scott Alexander's "Smashed". Break the final egg into a glass to show it real.

Otherwise leave it and potential lawsuits out of your family show. Michael has sed it best -it can be duplicated by "any kid that can hammer a nail into a board."
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
Consider the new (last year?) version with a shaken can of soda...

Fun for everyone!

Julie
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
Thanks for everyone's input it's much appreciated, I was originally thinking of having it with me for when I perform close up magic at weddings as something I could do if I was asked to do something for the whole room.

Funny you should mention that Julie as I purchased Fizz Roulette off Sean Heydon earlier this year Smile
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On Mar 4, 2019, Julie wrote:
Consider the new (last year?) version with a shaken can of soda...

Fun for everyone!

Julie

This sounds like an expanded routine based on Fizz Master (Paul Harris).
~michael baker
The Magic Company
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
Quote:
On Mar 6, 2019, Michael Baker wrote:

That's exactly what it is and Sean does credit him.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On Mar 7, 2019, warren wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 6, 2019, Michael Baker wrote:

That's exactly what it is and Sean does credit him.

Cool. I wasn't implying otherwise. I use Fizz Master in the summertime for outdoor shows, and I actually like this "Russian Roulette" idea.
Just a tip in case it matters to anyone... if you do this outdoors (which I couldn't imagine anyone doing it indoors), if you use sugar-free drinks the residue won't draw ants. Depending on where you are, that has real benefits. Smile
~michael baker
The Magic Company
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
Sean does it indoors regularly but opens the can over a bin at the end to save the mess.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On Mar 7, 2019, warren wrote:
Sean does it indoors regularly but opens the can over a bin at the end to save the mess.

That seems to be a case where the concessions overtake the impact of the trick. Magicians are famous for diminishing great effects for such nonsense. White bread magic. Just my opinion. I'd rather leave out a trick than conform if it make me lose my "guts". Venue choice is important.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Is Smash & Stab For Suitable Family Audiences ? (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL