The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Magic Is Dead by Ian Frisch (12 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Chamberlain
View Profile
Special user
630 Posts

Profile of Chamberlain
Quote:
On Mar 12, 2019, reignofsound wrote:
In my opinion I don't think Laura London is the future of magic?

I saw her (free) show at Edinburgh fringe a couple of years back.. it was a bit cringy. Weaving a story about her supposed grandmother the card cheat which was so obviously made up. Her magic/sleight of hand was pretty sub standard and her bottom dealing and push through shuffles were atrocious (she also messed up her stacked deck effect with a poor false shuffle, pretty much had to reset the deck in front of everyone).

Still though, I'm sure shes busy, I just don't know how long you can keep wearing those outfits and dying your hair red when you start hitting your late 30s
reignofsound
View Profile
Inner circle
Glasgow, UK
1732 Posts

Profile of reignofsound
Quote:
On Mar 12, 2019, Chamberlain wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 12, 2019, reignofsound wrote:
In my opinion I don't think Laura London is the future of magic?

I saw her (free) show at Edinburgh fringe a couple of years back.. it was a bit cringy. Weaving a story about her supposed grandmother the card cheat which was so obviously made up. Her magic/sleight of hand was pretty sub standard and her bottom dealing and push through shuffles were atrocious (she also messed up her stacked deck effect with a poor false shuffle, pretty much had to reset the deck in front of everyone).

Still though, I'm sure shes busy, I just don't know how long you can keep wearing those outfits and dying your hair red when you start hitting your late 30s

Agreed.
Not very technically skilled.
Any performance I have seen was quite sub standard for someone at that level.
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
8977 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Laura London is the female version me when it comes to sleight of hand, it seems. Lol.
DavidKenney
View Profile
Inner circle
2263 Posts

Profile of DavidKenney
My two cents: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiEYLyxPihw

(it's a little different than most)
HarrisonKramer
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of HarrisonKramer
Yay. My first post in the Café! I think this video tells you all you need to know about the credibility and actual skill of this guy.
Skip to 5:00 for the beyond belief butchering of OOTW and if you want to enjoy the cringe-fest before well that's all you. I normally try to keep my opinions to me to myself in magic and let people just live their lives (why I did not leave an Amazon review) but then this guy decided to write a book and perform magic on TV. If you claim that your silly dramatic ego driven friends are the best new thing in magic you cant have zero real-world performance experience. I would love to go head to head with just about any member of the "#the52" (not all) on a real stage with a real audience and slay them to pieces. Sorry if this is misplaced frustration but this book and the entire basis of the "#the52" is offensive to me.

Ian Frisch on Yahoo Finance
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqemO6gR......tiFsUFNE
joneseymagic
View Profile
New user
Dave Jones
60 Posts

Profile of joneseymagic
Thanks for that David. I enjoyed your novel take on reviewing magic - more of a performance than a review! I do feel, however, that you give far too much respect to this dreadful book. It reads like an adolescent’s ‘what I did on my holidays’ school essay, with the author trying to impress his teenage target market with his alcohol consumption. This juvenile prose is interspersed with the life stories of several of his mates. The author seems to think that their previous lives prior to discovering magic are worth recounting, even though they are essentially all the same - broken homes, drug dealing, gang mentality etc etc. Very boring indeed! His knowledge of magic is pitiful, yet he feels able to promote ‘The 52’ as the future of magic - each member having a unique ‘artistic’ vision, when in reality, most of them are just wannabe, carbon copy, mediocre card twiddlers, who haven’t learnt which way to put a cap on properly😊. As I said in a previous post, try watching a performance by members of this exalted group and then see if you think that this is the future. I sincerely hope not!
Skewed
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of Skewed
I don't think generalizing all of the 52 in the manner in which most of you have appeared to have done is not very smart. Of course not every single one of them are the BEST in what they do, nor do they personally claim to be. It is about what they stand for. Regardless of what you guys may think, they've come through as a collective. Holding the same principles and ideas of modern day magic. And by the looks of things, a lot of people do appear to agree with what they think. You cannot expect every magician in the world to think the same, just because you do not agree gives you no right to berate them and allude to them as being a bunch of phony's. I have personally had the chance to befriend and watch several members of the 52 perform. I cannot say I was a fan of their every one of their styles, but nevertheless they were all professional, and an absolute joy to watch.
DavidKenney
View Profile
Inner circle
2263 Posts

Profile of DavidKenney
"try watching a performance by members of this exalted group and then see if you think that this is the future."

I actually compared this "movement" (if you want to call it that) to ART and I think it still stands ....

was expressionism the future of art? Or cubism? No ... people did it for a while, it was a "thing" that came and went. It was a flash in the pan.

Typically what happens next in any artform is a new group of youngsters will come along and they will want to take the art "back to basics" and then there becomes a return to orthodoxy.

Everything old will be cool again.

Like SKEWED said above, "magic is dead" is not a commentary about how "skilled" anyone is or how good of a performer they are - or even if we respect them. (I don't think anyone in the 52 cares what we think) It's about the "idea" that recycling patter, wearing sequence, pulling rabbits out of hats, it's all been done a thousand times. So what sets you apart from the pack?

You know I am a part of a STAR WARS community and I am also in a cosplay / costuming community and out of all of the "groups" that I associate with, the most hurtful and mean-spirited comments I have ever heard were from Magicians.

#magicisdead
Consultthemind1
View Profile
Regular user
143 Posts

Profile of Consultthemind1
I was intrigued to see you perform Harrison, so out of curiosity I went to your Facebook and looked at your videos. I watched the first one that is 2mins 10seconds long (a highlight reel) and there are all manner of staging / choreography issues. In the first clip ‘The parlour show’ your revelation is written on a billet - far too small for an audience (even that size) to see and revealed on shiny stock. The reason you never use shiny stock cards or a whiteboard to reveal information is because they glare when the light hits them killing the revelation for a portion of the audience. This is apparent when the glare kills the revelation for the one audience you have chosen to share this reel with (the audience at home). That’s not to mention that the one person who is supposed to be the most impressed is stood looking sheepish because you rushed the revelation and never let her see what was written. A bigger pad, showing her the pad first and then pivoting your body so the audience see it almost simultaneously would kill that issue. In the second clip, you have your back to the audience multiple times (when the clip cuts back and forth) at 50 seconds in you’re completely back blocking and of course in staging that is one of the first things that you learn. In the clip with the clipboard, your revelation is much better but the distance between you and your participant during the revelation is also something you could focus on, distance is a powerful tool and should be focused on in a binary fashion. When your participant is thinking of something (or writing something etc) distance between them and yourself creates a great illusion that there is no way you could know the information - bridge that gap when you’re reading your participant. The visual is suggestive that you need to be closer to read them (without saying it) and something must be happening at the moment you are coming in close (it’s implicit) and when you come to the revelation it’s important to be closer so there isn’t an awkward emptiness when sending the participant back to their place in the audience. Whilst on the subject of choreography of a revelation, the participants in this cup always had things in their hands when you revealed what they were thinking of. You may be wondering why that’s an issue - Well after you get the applause or during its a powerful moment that needs to look seamless and them having to hand you things or put them down or try to shake your hand whilst trying to hold what is in their hands is not pretty to look at and shows a lack of stage schooling. The participant should have got rid of whatever was in their hands before the revelation so they can cleanely exit the performance space. It might be a small thing to seemingly pick at but all the small mistakes add up.

Coming up and challenging people when inexperienced in stage yourself is ridiculous. I am not a fan of many members of the group but you came on here complained about them doing exactly what you did - making outlandish claims.

David.
joneseymagic
View Profile
New user
Dave Jones
60 Posts

Profile of joneseymagic
Thanks for your reply David. To answer your query I would turn your statement on it’s head. You say they are interested in getting rid of the old cliches, but, in reality, they have merely replaced them with new cliches. Instead of wearing sequins, they wear baseball caps, They’ve replaced well worn patter with verbal tics like “take a card - that’s awesome” - rather than come up with a new direction forward, they recycle the “non patter” style that David Blaine was using 20 years ago! Their generic substitute for a rabbit from a hat is a badly executed DL to change a card. Rather than address this, the author seems to be more interested in tattoos and alcohol rather than improving his poor technique and presentational skills! I think my biggest objection to this ‘magic is dead’ crap is that neophyte ‘writers’ like Frisch could persuade newcomers to magic that these bunglers really do represent the ‘state of the art’. In my opinion this bunch have done absolutely nothing to advance the art - all they do is celebrate and promote mediocrity.
ed wood
View Profile
Special user
662 Posts

Profile of ed wood
"Magics not dead it just deserves to die when it becomes another stale cartoon. A close minded, self centred social club. Ideas don't matter it's who you know."

The prize of a big kiss to whoever can tell me who this is paraphrased from. Clue, the word magic is changed from punk.

The quote, and the concept of the book, does put me in mind of the cool kids you see hanging around at conventions (as seen at vanishings event). Usually sporting beards and tattoos, they never go into the lectures. Just hang out at the bar, bragging about their alcohol consumption and occasionally deign to perform a mediocre card trick to an adoring group of kids gathered around them. They even use swear words!!!! That's how cool they are!!
Consultthemind1
View Profile
Regular user
143 Posts

Quote:
On Mar 17, 2019, joneseymagic wrote:
Thanks for your reply David. To answer your query I would turn your statement on it’s head. You say they are interested in getting rid of the old cliches, but, in reality, they have merely replaced them with new cliches. Instead of wearing sequins, they wear baseball caps, They’ve replaced well worn patter with verbal tics like “take a card - that’s awesome” - rather than come up with a new direction forward, they recycle the “non patter” style that David Blaine was using 20 years ago! Their generic substitute for a rabbit from a hat is a badly executed DL to change a card. Rather than address this, the author seems to be more interested in tattoos and alcohol rather than improving his poor technique and presentational skills! I think my biggest objection to this ‘magic is dead’ crap is that neophyte ‘writers’ like Frisch could persuade newcomers to magic that these bunglers really do represent the ‘state of the art’. In my opinion this bunch have done absolutely nothing to advance the art - all they do is celebrate and promote mediocrity.

Whilst I agree almost entirely with your statement, you can’t lump all of them into the same box. On the fringes of the 52 there are some great performers, creators and innovators that are moving things forward. There are also none magicians in the 52 but I suppose they don’t fit into the conversation we are having. Frisch’s performances are terrible as are most of the advocates of the 52. If I’m not mistaken, Maddison is doing all he can to distance himself from the 52 also. It’s something that will die down. The book was as I mentioned terrible but here we are talking about it and them. They achieved their goal.

David.
ed wood
View Profile
Special user
662 Posts

Profile of ed wood
Who are the 52?
DavidKenney
View Profile
Inner circle
2263 Posts

Profile of DavidKenney
Who are the 52?

Daniel Madison, Laura London, Chris Ramsay, Shin Lim, Xavior Spade, Ondrej Pensicka, Jeremy Griffith, Demian Sang, Lisa DLV, Ian Frish, Lloyd Barnes, Neemdog, Enrico De LaVega, Nicolas Nargeot, Geriant Clarke, Alan Rorrison,
Lewis Leval, Dee Christopher, Peter Turner, Damien O'Brien, Larry Fong ... wow that's only 21 (I've totally spelled some names wrong)

Billie (peevhosue) 22
Peter McKinnon 23

Gianni Vox 24
Benoit Pervier 25
Cat Boult 26
Tony Chang 27
Alex Pandrea 28
Ryan Edwards 29

... I know there are a lot of others who are not magicians as well, but .. yea without BEING in the group, I doubt they have a roster anywhere
Consultthemind1
View Profile
Regular user
143 Posts

Quote:
On Mar 17, 2019, DavidKenney wrote:
Who are the 52?

Daniel Madison, Laura London, Chris Ramsay, Shin Lim, Xavior Spade, Ondrej Pensicka, Jeremy Griffith, Demian Sang, Lisa DLV, Ian Frish, Lloyd Barnes, Neemdog, Enrico De LaVega, Nicolas Nargeot, Geriant Clarke, Alan Rorrison,
Lewis Leval, Dee Christopher, Peter Turner, Damien O'Brien, Larry Fong ... wow that's only 21 (I've totally spelled some names wrong)

Billie (peevhosue) 22
Peter McKinnon 23

Gianni Vox 24
Benoit Pervier 25
Cat Boult 26
Tony Chang 27
Alex Pandrea 28
Ryan Edwards 29

... I know there are a lot of others who are not magicians as well, but .. yea without BEING in the group, I doubt they have a roster anywhere

The book doesn’t mention even half of the people mentioned above and then the names from the list above that are mentioned are mentioned for no more than a sentence or two. The book focuses primarily on Ian Frisch, Cris Ramsey, Daniel Madison and Laura London. They are the ones expressing their philosophies throughout the book. Ian (as I mentioned above) has also openly admitted to fabricating for the sake of the story. So whether any of the names above express or share said philosophies is debatable also. Chris Ramsey and Ian Frisch are the only ones who seem to be actively promoting the book and it wouldn’t surprise me if most of the stories inside were cooked up for the sake of promotion. Anyway, I think we collectively agree that it’s not a good book.

David.
joneseymagic
View Profile
New user
Dave Jones
60 Posts

Profile of joneseymagic
Consulthemind1 - Yes I agree - there may be some great performers, creators and innovators amongst them, but they were probably great before they joined the hallowed ranks! I doubt they've become great as a result of their induction. Personally, the vast majority of members of 'The 52' I have been exposed to have been instantly forgettable! As to your final point, yes If their goal is to get us talking about them, then they have been successful. But, then again, everyone in the UK is talking about Theresa May, so it's not always a good thing! Smile
DavidKenney
View Profile
Inner circle
2263 Posts

Profile of DavidKenney
How is Theresa May's double lift?
joneseymagic
View Profile
New user
Dave Jones
60 Posts

Profile of joneseymagic
David Kenney. 😂 probably better than her negotiating skills!
no2ss
View Profile
Special user
California
799 Posts

Profile of no2ss
Quote:
On Mar 17, 2019, DavidKenney wrote:
How is Theresa May's double lift?

If she can figure out how to get out of the current mess the UK is facing, I'd say she may be the best magician ever.
Mr Matthews
View Profile
New user
UK
36 Posts

Profile of Mr Matthews
David's review was more interesting than the book itself.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Magic Is Dead by Ian Frisch (12 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL