The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Magic Is Dead by Ian Frisch (12 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Ross W
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1699 Posts

Profile of Ross W
Quote:
On Mar 17, 2019, Consultthemind1 wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 17, 2019, DavidKenney wrote:
Who are the 52?

Daniel Madison, Laura London, Chris Ramsay, Shin Lim, Xavior Spade, Ondrej Pensicka, Jeremy Griffith, Demian Sang, Lisa DLV, Ian Frish, Lloyd Barnes, Neemdog, Enrico De LaVega, Nicolas Nargeot, Geriant Clarke, Alan Rorrison,
Lewis Leval, Dee Christopher, Peter Turner, Damien O'Brien, Larry Fong ... wow that's only 21 (I've totally spelled some names wrong)

Billie (peevhosue) 22
Peter McKinnon 23

Gianni Vox 24
Benoit Pervier 25
Cat Boult 26
Tony Chang 27
Alex Pandrea 28
Ryan Edwards 29

... I know there are a lot of others who are not magicians as well, but .. yea without BEING in the group, I doubt they have a roster anywhere

The book doesn’t mention even half of the people mentioned above and then the names from the list above that are mentioned are mentioned for no more than a sentence or two. The book focuses primarily on Ian Frisch, Cris Ramsey, Daniel Madison and Laura London. They are the ones expressing their philosophies throughout the book. Ian (as I mentioned above) has also openly admitted to fabricating for the sake of the story. So whether any of the names above express or share said philosophies is debatable also. Chris Ramsey and Ian Frisch are the only ones who seem to be actively promoting the book and it wouldn’t surprise me if most of the stories inside were cooked up for the sake of promotion. Anyway, I think we collectively agree that it’s not a good book.

David.

I get it now. It's tattoos.
Author.
Twitter: @rosswelford
www.rosswelford.com
ALEXANDRE
View Profile
Inner circle
2946 Posts

Profile of ALEXANDRE
Quote:
On Mar 17, 2019, DavidKenney wrote:
"try watching a performance by members of this exalted group and then see if you think that this is the future."

I actually compared this "movement" (if you want to call it that) to ART and I think it still stands ....

was expressionism the future of art? Or cubism? No ... people did it for a while, it was a "thing" that came and went. It was a flash in the pan.

Typically what happens next in any artform is a new group of youngsters will come along and they will want to take the art "back to basics" and then there becomes a return to orthodoxy.

Everything old will be cool again.

Like SKEWED said above, "magic is dead" is not a commentary about how "skilled" anyone is or how good of a performer they are - or even if we respect them. (I don't think anyone in the 52 cares what we think) It's about the "idea" that recycling patter, wearing sequence, pulling rabbits out of hats, it's all been done a thousand times. So what sets you apart from the pack?

You know I am a part of a STAR WARS community and I am also in a cosplay / costuming community and out of all of the "groups" that I associate with, the most hurtful and mean-spirited comments I have ever heard were from Magicians.

#magicisdead

David, brilliant review, it's almost a short TED talk, loved it.

No question that there are tons of mean-spirited and hurtful comments coming from magicians and mentalists, it's crazy. I know a young man in our magic group who is an awful performer, but he has passion, he works constantly to improve, he loves the art, he reads, he listens, he collects, he feels good around the world of magic, and I encourage him all around. If he posted a video here on the Café he would be eaten alive by some, it's a shame.

Regarding Magic is Dead, I haven't read the book, but I will because I like to read in general and the subject is of interest. Members of The52 are having fun, they share a philosophy, they share a friendship, and they support each other. Some here have criticized their technical abilities, but it's not all about that or about flawless performance, it's about a shared ideal, a passion for the art, a love of the art, a vision, and I think that's great.
Sudo Nimh
View Profile
Inner circle
1554 Posts

Profile of Sudo Nimh
Quote:
On Mar 17, 2019, ed wood wrote:
"Magics not dead it just deserves to die when it becomes another stale cartoon. A close minded, self centred social club. Ideas don't matter it's who you know."

The prize of a big kiss to whoever can tell me who this is paraphrased from.

That's an easy one; I've been a Dead Kennedys fan for well over 30 years. The answer, is Jello Biafra.

A handshake will do just fine.
Jerskin
View Profile
Inner circle
2485 Posts

Profile of Jerskin
My local public library actually had a copy and I'm currently reading and enjoying it.
GrEg oTtO

MUNDUS VULT DECIPI
Jed Maxwell
View Profile
Regular user
137 Posts

Profile of Jed Maxwell
I quit after 50-or-so pages. The author did not engage me like who he was trying to emulate, Neil Strauss. There were no hooks. Nothing grabbed me. Nothing was interesting. And I am *very* interested in magic. Insipid overall. The film direction of David's review is more interesting that the product is reviews.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Magic Is Dead by Ian Frisch (12 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL