The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Different version of 'Modern Coin Magic?' (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ChessMess
View Profile
Veteran user
311 Posts

Profile of ChessMess
I had thought that I had the 'latest' version of MCM by J.B. Bobo but now I'm not so sure.

The copy I have doesn't look like what you see as the cover at Amazon.com...

Click here for Amazon page

Mine shows coins cascading from the top into two cupped hands (gold/copper and silver coins) and has a blurred background of some coin stacks... in a yellow gold hue.

The publisher Sterling Paperbacks. Is there more than one 'version' of MCM , and if so what are the diffences?

Thanks in advance!
Robert Black
View Profile
Regular user
103 Posts

Profile of Robert Black
Quote:
On 2002-07-18 22:24, ChessMess wrote:
I had thought that I had the 'latest' version of MCM by J.B. Bobo but now I'm not so sure.

The copy I have doesn't look like what you see as the cover at Amazon.com...

Click here for Amazon page

Mine shows coins cascading from the top into two cupped hands (gold/copper and silver coins) and has a blurred background of some coin stacks... in a yellow gold hue.

The publisher Sterling Paperbacks. Is there more than one 'version' of MCM , and if so what are the diffences?

Thanks in advance!

I own two versions of this book, a paperback and a hardcover. Paperbacks covers are frequently changed depending on how many times it's published and by who. The contents never changes. This is a comon occurance. However, the hardcover is expanded with 4 additional chapters not found in the softcover. No matter how you cut it either are invaluable tools for serious coin students, if you are, this book is a must have.
"Creativity is the sudden cessation of stupidity." -- Dr. Edwin. Land
ChessMess
View Profile
Veteran user
311 Posts

Profile of ChessMess
Could you give give the listing of what the 4 additional chapters cover?
Robert Black
View Profile
Regular user
103 Posts

Profile of Robert Black
Quote:
On 2002-07-18 22:58, ChessMess wrote:
Could you give give the listing of what the 4 additional chapters cover?

XVII Lessons in coin magic
XVIII Selected coin tricks
XIX Trick coin Miscellany
XX Latest coin box magic

It is simply to bring the book current for the most part. All the important sleights, etc. are present in both.
ChessMess
View Profile
Veteran user
311 Posts

Profile of ChessMess
I'm not seeing the ones I hear common in the forums such as Tenkai pinch, spellbound, and some others I can't recall at the moment.

I'm thinking I should have picked up Roth's book as well. Smile
Robert Black
View Profile
Regular user
103 Posts

Profile of Robert Black
The book itself is buy no means recent. The first printing was 1966 I believe. I say again, if you are a serious coin worker you should have this book. There are at the minimum, 3 books to own for coin works (In my opinion), they are: MCM/Bobo, Expert Coin Magic/Roth, and Coin Magic/Kaufman (OOP I believe). Tenkai Palm and The Pinch (coin vanish) are slieghts, Spellbound is a copper/silver Vernon coin routine.
Count Elmsley
View Profile
New user
Lincoln UK
66 Posts

Profile of Count Elmsley
My copy of Bobo (1982 Dover Ed), states that it was first published by C.W. Jones in Minneapolis in 1952.
Alan
Mister Wizzy
Glenn Watson
View Profile
Special user
781 Posts

Profile of Glenn Watson
"Modern Coin Magic" was first published in 1952. The 1966 publication is called "New Modern Coin Magic."
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
MCM is indeed a classic and contains most
of the bits and peices to blend together
for the average coin worker. After loading
up on a lot of junk tricks, and spending
large amounts of money on poorly made items
I can say that MCM is one of the wisest
investments of 10$ in magic today. Smile
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
RandyWakeman
View Profile
V.I.P.
Plainfield, ILLINOIS
1617 Posts

Profile of RandyWakeman
The revised edition was published far more recently by Jay Marshall (Magic, Inc.).
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Different version of 'Modern Coin Magic?' (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL