The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Three ring circus by Jay Sankey (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Burrich
View Profile
Loyal user
214 Posts

Profile of Burrich
This trick gets great reactions. The best bit is when you shuttle pass in really linked keyrings and they try to figure it out. It's really funny.

Steven.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Another successful day at work with this set...I'm getting quite a reputation...Ha!

A friend of mine (a magician) was fooled by this! When I finally showed him the gaff, he about fell over...he even mentioned he thought it might be similar to the Chinese LR, but was not sure until I tipped it to him...he is now very much impressed, and showed me some new "moves"...one of which I'd like to share...

Hold the gaff as in the beginning of the routine (Sankey's), between thumb and forefinger...the other ring is pulled through it! A penetration. Also, using ungaffed rings, have three already linked, do a shuttle, and show three unlinked, and hand them out...

Knockout cool! Smile

Doug
robsigns
View Profile
New user
Southern California
74 Posts

Profile of robsigns
My first set broke within a few days. I contacted Penguin, and they replaced it with no problem. So good vibes to to Penguin for this.

As for Sankey himself, I think he's funnier in person than on the videos I've seen him in. I like the idea of the linking key rings, but IMHO the routine could be stronger with a few subtle changes. I'm still working on exactly what those changes are, but I agree with those who leave them in a linked condition in the spectator's hand at the end.
Nicodemus
View Profile
Special user
644 Posts

Profile of Nicodemus
Not being a linking ring expert...

What is the long & short of the 'Three Ring Circus'... Can a solid routine be done with Sankey's provided routine or is more Linking Ring moves, books, etc. necessary to get a real worker here ?
" Res Non Verba "

" Deeds Not Words "
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Actually, Nicodemus...

A whole BOOK could be written with all the routines, combinations, ideas...for example, I've added a couple more things...

Combine this with Leaving Home. And, just to add to the routine, I've also bought some key blanks, and am practicing with linking the keys on the ring, along with the rings linking, unlinking (shuttle pass and hand 'em out, keys on the linked rings, etc)...gettin' it yet? HA! This is SCREAMING for creative ideas...

(That "Rings" familiar...) Smile

Doug
ceeswing
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of ceeswing
Its easy to break and overpriced.
I personnally avoid Mr Sankey's stuff
but he is a great performer

regards

Cornelius
Rcitgo
View Profile
Special user
Emporia,Va.
738 Posts

Profile of Rcitgo
He has good and bad stuff like evertbody else.
mattisdx
View Profile
Inner circle
1614 Posts

Profile of mattisdx
Quote:
On 2004-07-11 19:51, Bill Thomas wrote:
I just ordered mine - now I will know how to fix it when I receive it, should it be broken.

Bill

I heard that 25% of those who bought this recieved it broken Smile but I guess that's the great penguin magic for ya
Ingo Brehm
View Profile
New user
Germany
61 Posts

Profile of Ingo Brehm
Mine broke also after a few days of practicing, but some superglue did it well. I also like some of the bonus effects (especially Yes & No). As robsingns I didn't like his humor on the dvds. I saw Mr. Sankey live at Fism 2003 and it was really a great lecture and very funny. I think $29 are not to expensive for the props and the dvd. I paid more for worser stuff in the past. I recommend it.
Clarioneer
View Profile
Special user
Ferndown, Dorset, UK
624 Posts

Profile of Clarioneer
It also includes some good additional tricks which make it well worth the money - in my humble opinion Smile
catch you later

Clarioneer
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I got mine for $17 off ebay. I was the only bidder.

Here's my $.02:
The ring routine is OK but that's it. It seems to me that he had some jamming sessions with a magi friend, modified a couple moves to adapt for the size, added chris caphart's ending and called it a routine. It's pretty disjointed and weak overall. Actually I'm not sure he even performs a routine from beginning to end.
He's really just showing you a few moves with these key rings. However the idea is good and very Sankey.
He's got good ideas.

The other effects on the DVD are ok. I especially like the copper-silver transpo. I believe that this is quite good.

It was definitely worth the money I paid for it.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
mormonyoyoman
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug 5,000 postholes, but I have only
2440 Posts

Profile of mormonyoyoman
Quote:
On 2004-05-17 20:22, Dougini wrote:
LOVE this...however...

2nd day I had this I lost the gaff...I have no idea where it went...it rolled under something, but I've torn this place apart looking for it.

The bummer is, you have to buy the video AND rings together...I don't think you can buy replacement rings...DRAT!

You can buy the gimmick separately. Penguin hides it -- you have to go down to the bottom of their main page to their Index and search for "replacement."
#ShareGoodness #ldsconf

--Grandpa Chet
mormonyoyoman
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug 5,000 postholes, but I have only
2440 Posts

Profile of mormonyoyoman
Quote:
On 2004-05-17 20:22, Dougini wrote:
LOVE this...however...

2nd day I had this I lost the gaff...I have no idea where it went...it rolled under something, but I've torn this place apart looking for it.

The bummer is, you have to buy the video AND rings together...I don't think you can buy replacement rings...DRAT!

You can buy the gimmick separately. Penguin hides it -- you have to go down to the bottom of their main page to their Index and search for "replacement."
#ShareGoodness #ldsconf

--Grandpa Chet
ventman
View Profile
Loyal user
281 Posts

Profile of ventman
I just received mine. It wasn't broken. I've put it through the paces many times and still hasn't broken. I have to say that the other effects on the DVD are awesome. As far as the linking ring routine, it's really good but I also incorporated some moves from the Ninja rings to spice things up even more.
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Quote:
On 2004-08-04 23:27, mormonyoyoman wrote:

Mormonyoyoman,

I went to Penguin's replacement page and they only had four items for replacement/refills---and the Sankey ring set was not one of the four. Could you advise what the replacement rings cost (and is it a complete set of the rings or just the "gimmicked" ring)?

My set is not broken...yet. I just kind of would like to know the cost and whether or not I maybe should go to my local hardware store and "roll my own".

Thanks for the info.

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
trombley
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of trombley
I use these rings all the time. I have had no problems switching in or out the gimmicked ring. Like others have said its fun to hand out the rings to be examined, then shuttle pass for two that are linked and hand it out. Then you can switch in the gimmick for some pretty visual links.

As for the quality of the gimmick. mine appears to be saudered and I have dropped it numerous times and it still works poifectly.
Nick-V.
View Profile
Special user
Create and Devastate
817 Posts

Profile of Nick-V.
This is great. Easy to carry, easy to perform.
Love it!
Peace on the Magical Streets
~Nick V.~
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
I have picked this back up because I recently started thinking about what effects I could just carry with me either on my keychain or in my wallet. I didn't used to carry this one because it would get lost if on my keychain. However, I now carry a "survival knot" string on my keychain and this would be a perfect setup to carry the 3-ring circus rings and do this and ring leader.
KJ
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
This is still in my top performers. I never mentioned this here, but Penguin replaced my entire set for free! I was astonished, because I never bought the original from them! I have been a BIG Penguin fan ever since. No company has EVER done this in my entire life, and I'm 58!

The DVD was lost in the foreclosure, but I managed to save this! I like magic with everyday objects. This fits perfectly!

Doug
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Doug,
Yes, I agree, Penguin rocks! Sorry to hear about the foreclosure. Glad you still have the 3 ring circus. I really enjoy the DVD. Having the survival rope weave on my keychain allows me to securely tie the key ring to my keychain. Also, when I'm done with the linking keychain rings, I can go into a rope and ring routine. I have the spectator hold the string while I do the linking ring routine. I then have them hold (apparently) al the rings while I do the rope and ring routine. The key ring gets ditched during the routine, so they feel like they have inspected everything without making a point of it.
KJ.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Three ring circus by Jay Sankey (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL