The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Where to preform as a beginner? (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

A&A Magic
View Profile
New user
Colorado
1 Post

Profile of A&A Magic
Hi everyone, I was wondering where everyone started preforming. I've only had the pleasure of preforming for Family, Friends,co workers...and a few people at the mall. Any suggestions or help is greatly appreciated!
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, Pa
2925 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Welcome to the Café..
There are so many opportunities for you to share your magic.
There are fund raisers for different charities. It is the Lenton season so churches have sit down
fish fry's. Independent Living and assisted living residences are always looking for entertainment.
Just keep your eyes open on local social media or advertising for charitable events.
Lions clubs, Masonic lodges in your area always have events as well that would love to have entertainent. Make a few calls..

Like you I only performed for family and co-workers and did an occasional kids parties.. Then I got my first restaurant gig in 2002. If you feel you have the chops and personality you might want to explore that route as well.
If you can't help worrying, remember worrying can't help you!
danaruns
View Profile
Special user
The City of Angels
805 Posts

Profile of danaruns
My first "public performances" were at parties that I attended. At that time I was doing close-up magic, and I pulled up a table, a bunch of people huddled around, and I performed my first "shows," which were really just a series of tricks that I had learned. I think I did that five or six times over a couple months (it was during the holiday season) before finding other venues.
"Dana Douglas is the greatest magician alive. Plus, I'm drunk." -- Foster Brooks
Ravenspur
View Profile
Regular user
Granby, MA
125 Posts

Profile of Ravenspur
I joined the local S.A.M. Assembly. Aside from conducting assembly business, people get up and do tricks they're working on. More experienced magicians also help the less experienced with tricks. Last week, a kid was working on 52 to 1 and was having problems. Some more experienced guys--not me, I'm less skilled than the kid--helped him out.
diamondjack
View Profile
New user
orlando,fl
58 Posts

Profile of diamondjack
Jamie Grant has good advice on this in his book "The Approach"
AndreJ
View Profile
New user
Sweden/@andrewestberg
90 Posts

Profile of AndreJ
I would recommend parks and streets, if the weather is ok. Anywhere that people are hanging out and relaxing really. I have found that strolling around in the park, approaching people who are just sitting there work really good.

As far as what to say,,,just be totally honest. Explain that you're a magician and that you're working on a new trick and that you need help with practice. People love helping others, and it also takes the pressure away from you. If you mess up, just say "hmm...that part need a little more work", thank them and move along to the next group.
FREE TRAINING FOR PERFORMERS ---> https://www.performersecrets.com

My background: Loved magic for 25 years, always wanted to do paid gigs but never had the courage. Faced my fears some years ago and now perform regularly. Would love to help you get there too!
LightningRod
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of LightningRod
I started out incorporating it into presentations. I had a job where I had to make boring powerpoint presentations a lot. It was hard to incorporate something FUN into the podium-based lecture style presentations. I tried humor but SOMEONE was always offended, or my humor had to be so generic that it only pleased 6 year olds. I tried mutlimedia (sound and video clips from popular TV and movies) to make my points. That usually meant total failure due to technical problems. Sound didn't work, video ran choppy, etc. No matter how many times I verified everything was perfect, there always seemed to be some sort of aggravating tech wrinkle that spoiled it. A fellow in my office was a magician and SAM member. He introduced me to a few very basic magic effects that I tried in my next presentation and it went over like gangbusters! After that, I incorporated more and more magic into my presentations (the effect was chosen to make a point) and I discovered a few different things: (1) the magic REALLY helped make the point, (2) people were paying attention to every word I said (while anticipating more magic, they were hanging on every word), and (3) my audience really LEARNED the subject matter into which I'd judiciously sprinkled a bit of magic! It was a win-win... WIN! Since then, I just became more and more interested in magic to the point that now I've done magic shows with no academic point to make, other than entertainment of the audience. Work magic into your job; maybe it'll help YOU out like it did me! Smile
- L'Rod
magicianbrady
View Profile
New user
99 Posts

Profile of magicianbrady
School, college, workplace, literally anywhere.
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9856 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Where to preform as a beginner? (4 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL