The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » United Airlines lost my luggage before my show!!!! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Nash
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong ~ Seattle
1048 Posts

Profile of Nash
As a traveling performer, the day when your airline lost your luggage is bound to happen!
This is why I always keep as much props as I can in the carry-on bag. But alas, I still got materials that are involved with 40% of my show AND all my clothing gone!!
Here's a 3 mins vlog on what I did: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0rp5vVhk8M

What I learned?

1.) Stay calm and carry on: Stress is the number one killer, no show is worth cutting short your lifespan for
2.) Make an actual list: No matter how rushed you are, make an actual list. I had to go back to a store because I forgot to pick up an item the first time around
3.) GET GOING, IMMEDIATELY: It is easy to get stuck trying to argue with the airline, but once you find out the luggage will not physically get to you before the show. Forget it, GO shopping NOW!
4.) Keep all receipts: If you are tiered with an airline, you probably will get full reimbursement. But if not, most airlines will not reimburse you for the $$ you spent on rebuilding your props. Keep the receipts so if the next day you have a chance to return most of the items you bought and don't need, do it!!

I spent $194.74 for the props and sent those receipts to UA. UA sent me a check for $72.86 cash + $100 travel voucher (so I have to fly them again, great...).
Don't give up, don't EVER give up.

Corporate magician - Nash Fung
padre rich
View Profile
Veteran user
398 Posts

Profile of padre rich
NEVER CHECK ANYTHING...why take a chance?...remember the old story about the guy who hijacked an airplane and demanded to be taken to the same place his luggage was going...
God's grace rocks! It makes a good cups and balls routine look pretty boring in comparison.
Nash
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong ~ Seattle
1048 Posts

Profile of Nash
Quote:
On Apr 11, 2019, padre rich wrote:
NEVER CHECK ANYTHING...why take a chance?...remember the old story about the guy who hijacked an airplane and demanded to be taken to the same place his luggage was going...

Oh trust me, I tried to keep as much of the most important materials in my shows in my carry on as possible.
But alas, there are a lot of stuff that
1.) Wouldn't fit in a carry on case or
2.) Illegal to fly with (ex. razor blades, staple guns, knives, etc..)
Don't give up, don't EVER give up.

Corporate magician - Nash Fung
Kune
View Profile
Veteran user
306 Posts

Profile of Kune
I’m flying with United soon. Unfortunately I don’t have any choice but to check most of my luggage with them, so all I can do is pray, and read my insurance policy.
Sending them the receipts if they lose anything is a great idea.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8178 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
In the NAVY, I was stationed in Norfolk, VA. I did club dates for a vest pocket agent, around town. At first, I didn't have a car, but, I could ride the bus to the gig. I carried the props for my 30 minute act in a leather shaving kit about the size of a cigar box.

After I was a civilian, I didn't need a box car (!!!) but, a "fat" attache case was all I needed. I could drive when playing school shows.

Visiting with Jay Marshall, I noted that he had a fat attache case. too. He said, "When I fly, I NEVER check the props. That case is the maximum size that will fit UNDER THE SEAT!!!"

When necessary to fly, I remembered Jay's "advice".
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » United Airlines lost my luggage before my show!!!! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL