The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Looking for third card effect for a set (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Sanderr
View Profile
Regular user
Netherlands
190 Posts

Profile of Sanderr
So far I have never really performed anything other than a random single trick to anyone, and I am looking to change that. My goal is to put together a set of 3 effects and work on that until it's decently polished (as far as possible without performing experience). Then I would like to start showing family, and hopefully I feel crazy enough to show coworkers one day.

I have been into magic on and off for quite some time, but I have started Card College over from the beginning, trying to do it right. Alongside the books I use the CC DVD set. From the first lesson on the DVD's I am learning Belchou Aces Revisited and Subconscious Poker, which I want to put together in a routine (they are already linked together on the DVD). However, I am not sure what the third effect should be. Since the two effects mentioned require a setup, ideally I am looking for a closer. What sort of trick would fit here? Is there anything from Card College, Royal Road, Harry Lorayne's books or somewhere else you would suggest? In terms of sleights I am looking for a simple trick so that I can focus on the presentation and on getting experience without being too worried about getting caught.

In terms of theme/presentation for the set, I am thinking of telling a story about "card whisperers" (like horse whisperers, dog whisperers, etc) and demonstrating how one can "listen" to the cards (Belchou Aces, by apparently listening to the cards the four aces are found) or "talk" to the cards, asking them to help you (Subconscious Poker, where a looked at card ends up in a specific position in one of 5 poker hands, and the entire hand is revealed to be the royal flush in spades). What would you suggest I add to this?
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
1873 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
One thought, though others may well jump in with better ideas.

Are you familiar with Gemini Twins? After demonstrating card whispering, you can ask your participant to try it. You have them shuffle the deck, you remove two cards. Show one of them face up and let them deal down until they feel that urge to stop. Put the face up card right where they stopped. Reassemble the deck and repeat. The face-up card is matched to the card just above it (two red aces, for example). This can be played as a prediction on your part, but I think it works better as a skill they didn't know they had. No change to the moves, just a slight difference in where you put the emphasis as to who has the power.

The structure, then, is you demonstrating two amazing things, then your participant doing an amazing thing twice. Since you have them shuffle, it does remove your setup, but that's not always a bad thing.

Hope it helps.

-Patrick
Ravenspur
View Profile
Regular user
Granby, MA
125 Posts

Profile of Ravenspur
John Bannon mentions Gemini Twins on the first part of his Move Zero video.
Sanderr
View Profile
Regular user
Netherlands
190 Posts

Profile of Sanderr
Thanks, Patrick, that is a really good idea. A strong trick and exactly what I'm looking for in terms of being easy in sleights. That it removes the setup is not a problem if I use it as a closer. That said, would this effect serve well as a closer?

Any additional suggestions would still be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Sander
mlippo
View Profile
Inner circle
Trieste (Italy)
1053 Posts

Profile of mlippo
Well, in my opinion, after two tricks that (although self-working) show your ability in controlling playing cards, to end with a change of pace, with a trick of a mental magic feel, is a very good idea.

Mr. Woolery's suggestion of trying Gemini Twins could certainly be a good choice. In this case I'd advise not to stick to the simple "I made two predictions …" plot, but to use a more involving and personal presentation.

Mine is heavily inspired by Pete McCabe's presentation published in his great book "Scripting Magic", which involves two people who are a couple in life as well.

Mark
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Looking for third card effect for a set (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL