The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Mnemonica Trainer by Rick Lax (30 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
Magic KL
View Profile
Inner circle
1395 Posts

Profile of Magic KL
I was just thinking that Rick Lax hasn't released anything for quite some time. Well, here it is:

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/11618

The only product desciption they have now is this:

18+ only. This product uses imagery that is intentionally absurd, and inappropriate in polite company, and as a result is absolutely not for kids or the sensitive minded.
egoli
View Profile
Special user
The only magician from Que Que, Southern Rhodesia
604 Posts

Profile of egoli
Pre-order - not released yet - but 24 reviews from "verified buyers" - all freebies??
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5666 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
There is a download, and they will send the flash cards which can help but are not necessary to work the system.

Rick uses a memory system which I used decades ago to memorize the Aronson Stack. I learned it from Kevin Trudeau, and he certainly didn’t invent it.

The foundational system worked amazingly well for me. I have no doubt most people will be stunned how quickly cards fall into place. But there is a catch. If you don’t think like Rick Lax and have his knowledge base of trivial things used to create his version of the system, then you will have to work a little harder in memorizing or in creating your own images. Do you know the top score for an ACT? Do you know your presidents by number? Do you know how many chromosomes in DNA?

Fortunately, most of you will hear one of Rick’s images which doesn’t work for you and you will think, “It should be...” and just like that you are creating your own images and making the system work even better for you.
TheBentos
View Profile
Loyal user
Grim North
233 Posts

Profile of TheBentos
Over the years, I tried a few different “systems” to learn a stack.
However, the only way I really learnt was simply just to memorise the cards and numbers.
I probably learnt mnemonica in a month, at say 1-2 hours per day.
I think I learnt 13 cards a week, don’t try to learn all at once.
I found that the phone apps help to keep you topped up, and now I just know it.

This may work for some, everyone is different learning and retaining information
otreboR
View Profile
Loyal user
The Netherlands
220 Posts

Profile of otreboR
Does his system work in any language?
alee7371
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of alee7371
I ordered it on Friday and it was in my downloads right away, his technique for learning the stack is pretty good. I know the first 10 already with hardly putting much effort into it. I do believe it would work with any language. Rick uses a combination of visual images to solidify the stack in your memory. Some of the images utilize American culture but I don't think it would be that hard to substitute other visualization images from your country.
Waterloophai
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1169 Posts

Profile of Waterloophai
Quote:
On Mar 10, 2019, alee7371 wrote:
I know the first 10 already with hardly putting much effort into it

And you will evenly quick forget the first 10 with hardly putting much effort into it.
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
England
7197 Posts

Profile of pegasus
For people who having nothing better to do in their spare time.
Waterloophai
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1169 Posts

Profile of Waterloophai
Quote:
On Mar 10, 2019, Waterloophai wrote:
Quote:
I know the first 10 already with hardly putting much effort into it

And you will evenly quick forget the first 10 with hardly putting much effort into it.

These 10 cards are currently in your short-term memory. They still have to go to your long-term memory.
Short-term memories can become long-term memory via consolidation and repetition to become fixed. (In reality, that process is even much more complicated, but that would be too technical here.)
It is a process of months and sometimes for some more than a year.
Do not believe people who claim anything else. (they are cheap sales stunts)
Hence the many disappointments of many magicians who once started to learn an MD.
There is a big difference between learning an MD (which is possible in a relatively short time) and KEEP memorized it FOREVER.
A memory-artist can learn a deck of cards in less than 30sec. but he has not to KEEP that information afterwards.
That's the big difference between memory artists and magicians who want to work with a MD.
I always have to smile when I read on forums claims like this: "after 2 hours I already knew my MD".
After a few months they will discover that it was overconfidence.

After more than 40 years of working with an MD and many having learned it, I found out that an MD is not for everyone.
Simon Aronson came to the exact same conclusion in recent years.
erichoudini
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of erichoudini
I am considering purchasing the pre-order Rick Lax MD effect. I am wondering how people familiar with his method would rank it in terms of difficulty from 1-10 with 1 being easy? If not this MD, what other methods would you suggest? Thanks for any suggestions you might provide.
Eric.
alee7371
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of alee7371
While I have not gone through the whole video due to lack of time, I do believe this is a usable system because Lax has created a system that utilizes different pictures and images in a creative way that associates both the card and number. I am actually encouraged that this is a practical system to memorize a stack. While I agree it is difficult to memorize a stack I think time will only tell. No doubt you will have to put some time into it, but its a pretty practical method.

To go through the video I would say its only a 3-4, to know the entire content in a usable manner will take practice. Practice, practice and practice.
erichoudini
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of erichoudini
Thank you for the feedback alee7371.
Eric.
Waterloophai
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1169 Posts

Profile of Waterloophai
Quote:
While I agree it is difficult to memorize a stack I think time will only tell.

I think you misunderstood me. It is NOT difficult to memorize a stack. (that's what they advertize and which is true)
It is VERY difficult to KEEP it memorized. That is a totally different thing.(that's what they keep quite and never tell)
Waterloophai
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1169 Posts

Profile of Waterloophai
It is not my intention to break down the flash cards of Rick Lax.
But the truth has to be said, because the concept of a memorized deck is too dear to me.
Flash cards are not a bad learning tool (although, but one of many possibilities).
But ... flash cards you have to make YOURSELF with "images" that you have fantasized YOURSELF.
If you learn flash cards from someone else, you lose an important part of the learning process.
Conclusion: flash cards made by someone else can indeed be a learning tool, but are far from ideal. I even doubt that someone who does not even have the creativity to make flash cards HIMSELF, is the right person to learn an MD. (but the latter is a personal opinion)
Let it be very clear: I have nothing against Rick Lax. On the contrary. Normally his products are very good and he is a (very) good teacher (but no expert in the memorized deck like me Smile ).
About this product (the efficiency of it), I have my reservations.
Axman
View Profile
Veteran user
332 Posts

Profile of Axman
Quote:
On Mar 10, 2019, pegasus wrote:

Or people who strive for excellence in everything they do
alee7371
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of alee7371
FYI no flash cards need to be created, Lax has created a picture association with each card and number for you to use.
I agree that the best flash cards are the ones you make yourself because it is personal in nature and you are more likely to remember it and associate it with things that are important to you.
I'm not saying that this video is the absolute but its a good start- but at the end of the day, with any good magic, you must put the time and energy into it.
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
England
7197 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote:
On Mar 10, 2019, Axman wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 10, 2019, pegasus wrote:

Or people who strive for excellence in everything they do

By taking shortcuts. Makes sense.
erichoudini
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of erichoudini
I know that the Rick Lax mnemonics effect is a pre-order so I assume that the flash cards will be sent out when the trick is released. I am wondering if I purchase the effect as a pre-order if Rick immediately posts something I can do to start learning the method and or, elaborates on how to construct flash cards so I can start learning immediately? Any information would be appreciated.
Eric.
Tempesta
View Profile
Veteran user
USA
398 Posts

Profile of Tempesta
Why is this 18+???
//Sean Beard
Magic KL
View Profile
Inner circle
1395 Posts

Profile of Magic KL
I assume it's the "story" that you need to remember involves sexual and/or violence content.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Mnemonica Trainer by Rick Lax (30 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL