The Magic Cafť
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Ľ Ľ Latest and Greatest? Ľ Ľ Mnemonica Trainer by Rick Lax (43 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9
Luke Master
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of Luke Master
Being a part of the magic family for around 25 years (starting off as a hobbyist for the first 10 and then doing restaurants and local shows for the last 15), I have never worked on memdeck items. But I have put that task towards the top of my to do list. So thank you Eric for your thoughts as they are very helpful in choosing which route to take.
Beltorak
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of Beltorak
Very late to the party as well, but with lockdown this might be the right time to learn the stack, another reason is the delivery of the Elites V5 Smile so I was looking into way's of learn the stack and it seems that Rick Lax Trainer is a good direction. Now, before I started with Ricks version, I made quite a good discovery for me and I would like to share this.

I learnd the Paralabs Picture Stack quite some time ago and use it from time to time. The way of how Paralabs teaches the stack is outstanding and it was so much easier for me as it is actual pictures and not cards. So, the idea came to my mind to combine the two and to my surprise, it does come very easy and many numbers add up and I do find many similarities which help me a lot to remember the cards and the position, adding some fantasy picture of my own and first 30 was memorized in no time.

Here some examples:
2 cherry 2H easy to remember 2 cherry's in heartform
9 Ballon 9S easy to remember 9 spades hanging at the ballon
10 Gloves 2S spades are like shoffel, you need 2 gloves to hold a shovel
13 stairs QC Queen of Clubs walking down that stairs

or 26 is an apple and the KD, an orb is held by the King, here german helps a bit as it is called "Reichsapfel", so, I imagine an apple with diamonds.

So far it is going well, and if it fails, I will try Ricks Trainer. Smile but this time, I really want to go through with it Smile
Northern Andy
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of Northern Andy
Quote:
On Mar 10, 2019, pegasus wrote:
For people who having nothing better to do in their spare time.

Here she comes again... Debbie Downer. I am yet to see a trick you actually like fella. Maybe after all these years whinging about it, magic just isn't for you?
Northern Andy
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of Northern Andy
Quote:
On Mar 10, 2019, Waterloophai wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 10, 2019, Waterloophai wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 10, 2019, alee7371 wrote:
I know the first 10 already with hardly putting much effort into it

And you will evenly quick forget the first 10 with hardly putting much effort into it.

These 10 cards are currently in your short-term memory. They still have to go to your long-term memory.
Short-term memories can become long-term memory via consolidation and repetition to become fixed. (In reality, that process is even much more complicated, but that would be too technical here.)
It is a process of months and sometimes for some more than a year.
Do not believe people who claim anything else. (they are cheap sales stunts)
Hence the many disappointments of many magicians who once started to learn an MD.
There is a big difference between learning an MD (which is possible in a relatively short time) and KEEP memorized it FOREVER.
A memory-artist can learn a deck of cards in less than 30sec. but he has not to KEEP that information afterwards.
That's the big difference between memory artists and magicians who want to work with a MD.
I always have to smile when I read on forums claims like this: "after 2 hours I already knew my MD".
After a few months they will discover that it was overconfidence.

After more than 40 years of working with an MD and many having learned it, I found out that an MD is not for everyone.
Simon Aronson came to the exact same conclusion in recent years.

I would just like to add here that I learned Rick Lax's method over 2 years ago. Spent about 2 or 3 hours watching it, have practised it modestly ever since, and I still remember the stack. You do not NEED to come up with imagery or connection YOURSELF. If an image is vivid, strange, disguctsing enough, it will stick whether you created it or someone else did. I was curious what Rick Lax had come up with as I had tried to apply a similar memory principle myself and struggled. It is not for everybody, but his teaching (I don't particularly like him much) is spot on and has served me very well indeed. When you can naturally associate a card and its place in the deck with, for example, Hitler digging up a treasure box full of mini planets to conquer, you cant really go wrong.
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4164 Posts

Profile of emyers99
Iím now a few weeks in and have the stack down cold. I highly recommend the Memo Deck app for practicing. Itís fantastic. As Rick said, now that Iíve got the stack in long term memory, the imagery has started to fall away and the answers just pop into my mind quickly without having to think of the images. Really enjoying the process.
Narninian
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of Narninian
I've always had a decent memory but never looked into memory 'systems' and this one really worked for me. I've only had it 'memorized for about (about a day after getting it) 10 days now, but now have used the same system imagery for other things to memorize.
I know Rick Lax didn't invent the System, but the imagery chosen really worked for me.

Now I just need to figure out some routines that don't rely so heavily on sleight of hand, something I'm much less comfortable with..
Ray Chelt
View Profile
Inner circle
Changing the world with my
1307 Posts

Profile of Ray Chelt
Quote:
On Jun 3, 2020, Harry Lorayne wrote:
INCREDIBLE!!

Wondered when Harry would show up.😁

Read his memory book and memorising a stack and card positions is a doddle.

Strikes me that magicians are constantly after the next new thing when whatís already out there is infinitely better.

Iíve got three stacks memorised using Harryís system. Last one took me 30 minutes.

This is Harry doing his memory stuff 41 years ago...which prompted me to get his book.

https://youtu.be/bzruWldtlzU

You can download his memory book on Amazon for $10 and learn far more than just memorising a pack of cards.
BAGWIZ
View Profile
Regular user
San Francisco Bay Area
168 Posts

Profile of BAGWIZ
I decided to learn Mnemonica because I thought it would be a fun way to exercise my brain a little bit! At 65, I figure it canít hurt to tackle a challenge like this. Iíve used the Osterland stack for years snd have had much success with it, but this stack is a whole different animal because as far as I can tell, thereís no pattern or relationship between cards to lean on. Years ago In college I actually paid to take a memory course by Jerry Lucas, who I believe was working with Harry Lorayne at the time. I get a fair amount out of that method and it did help me with many of my classes. But like anything, if you donít practice it you lose it and over time I sadly stopped using Jerryís method. Had I kept it up, my guess is it would have helped me memorize a deck of cards. Anyway, Rickís method worked great and the crazy image pegs reminded me a lot of what Jerry taught in his class decades ago. After a couple of days I was able to recall all 52 cards with 100% accuracy, though not all that quickly. After more practice I found that I no longer needed about a third of the pegs, as I just ďknewĒ which card was at each number and visa versa. Now, after Iíd say about 20 hours or so since I first watched Rickís download, I pretty much know about 40 of the cards without any memory peg or system at all. One way I practice is to shuffle the deck and see if I can reassemble it in the right order. At first it is slow going but you pick up speed as you practice. In many ways, I think learning Mnemonica similar to learning the second deal ... donít worry about speed at the beginning ... just practice snd the speed comes.

Iíve not yet incorporated this into any routines but hope to do so soon. I am also going to get the Tamariz book, as everyone says it is the current last word on stacks. My only wondering about all this is, why is this particular order of the cards so special? I mean, why not just completely shuffle a deck and memorize that order? Iíve a feeling Iíll find the answer to my own question when I get the book, but at least Iíve learned something new (for me) and I really appreciate all the work Rick did to put together his own memory system.
magic_tony
View Profile
Loyal user
236 Posts

Profile of magic_tony
You'll find there are lots of cool things build into the Tamariz stack. It is very clever.
CardGuyMike
View Profile
Veteran user
397 Posts

Profile of CardGuyMike
If you just want to memorize a stack you can in fact shuffle a deck, make sure it appears to be well shuffled, and memorize it. And it will serve you well for most effects using a memorized stack. But if you're going to create a stack, why not do it in a way where stuff is built in like:

- It's relatively easy to get in and out of new deck order
- It's relatively easy to get in and out of stay-stack order
- There are conveniences, such as finding many four-of-a-kinds relatively close together
- There are poker demonstrations built into the stack

That is where Aronson, Mnemonica and others are superior to a random shuffle. And some decks of cards are even coming in Mnemonica order rather than new deck order these days.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
5470 Posts

Profile of videoman
Memorizing a random well shuffled deck would be like reinventing the wheel.
Might as well go with a well established stack with its many advantages.
BAGWIZ
View Profile
Regular user
San Francisco Bay Area
168 Posts

Profile of BAGWIZ
Great input and insights. Thank you. I was playing around with the stack today and realized that if the QS is on the bottom, you can spell to the AS. That seems to happen with some other key cards as well. So Iím imagining that thereís much more to this stack than I know and thatís just so cool. Itís astonishing to me how people figure these things out and I now canít wait to read JTís book to learn more. Lennart Greenís ď1-2 SeparationĒ grabbed me in a similar way. Just genius.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Ľ Ľ Latest and Greatest? Ľ Ľ Mnemonica Trainer by Rick Lax (43 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL