The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Mnemonica Trainer by Rick Lax (30 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
The Duster
View Profile
Inner circle
1555 Posts

Profile of The Duster
How bad were the mistakes [as in are the obvious and so they aren't going to 'fool' you into learning stuff wrong]

And do you really need the PDF [?] of would the video alone be enough to learn it... as I like to work on stuff on the treadmill and so video is better than pdf
drawfull
View Profile
Loyal user
qmagi.com
242 Posts

Profile of drawfull
Quote:
On Mar 19, 2019, The Duster wrote:
How bad were the mistakes [as in are the obvious and so they aren't going to 'fool' you into learning stuff wrong]

And do you really need the PDF [?] of would the video alone be enough to learn it... as I like to work on stuff on the treadmill and so video is better than pdf


I think if you buy into the basic idea of the images he's getting you to use then you wouldn't need the PDF. But I have only watched the vid as the PDF wasn't available at the point I bought it.

When I learned a chunk of Pi, I just used the peg system with phonetics / memory palace which I find not to be too difficult. I used my childhood home as the 'palace'.
paperinick
View Profile
Inner circle
my faro is starting to look nice after
1109 Posts

Profile of paperinick
Quote:
On Mar 18, 2019, erichoudini wrote:
Paperinick, I meant that in the course of an evening, I asked my girlfriend four times to choose a different card and then I revealed the number it was at in the mnemonica stack I learned from the nmenonica training download from Rick Lax. Thanks for the suggestion Rosariorose9.
Eric.

That's not the way to perform with a MD. It's like using a marked deck, having somebody pick a card and say "it's the three of clubs". Dead giveaway.
Tamariz, Aronson, Michael Close, Darwin Ortiz have all published tricks that use the memdeck to perform miracles.
Tamariz published a video called Routine in D major (besides the DVD series and a whole book).
Same for Aronson, get his DVDs (lovely "Bait and switch" which teaches a clever method to switch a deck) and books.
Close and Ortiz have even more convoluted material.
Good luck!
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death my right to say "scr*w you" if you persist. [Voltaire Smile]
The Duster
View Profile
Inner circle
1555 Posts

Profile of The Duster
Pi?

How big a chunk?

I learned 100 digits in a 60 min treadmill session

Thanks to a recent pengiun lecture
drawfull
View Profile
Loyal user
qmagi.com
242 Posts

Profile of drawfull
Quote:
On Mar 19, 2019, The Duster wrote:
Pi?

How big a chunk?

I learned 100 digits in a 60 min treadmill session

Thanks to a recent pengiun lecture


350 (but I think 100 or so is enough, especially when you're really having to think to get them time wise). I only learnt in order, wouldn't be confident* doing 'what are digits x thru y'.

Which lecture? Vincent Hedan's effect made me do it.

*able Smile
The Duster
View Profile
Inner circle
1555 Posts

Profile of The Duster
Yes VH is the reason too

Or rather I have a rather special presentation planned that means I need to know the first 100 very well

It should also cover off if anyone does 'go early' during the normal VH presentation...

The lecture was:

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/11421

You do get a PDF too
The Duster
View Profile
Inner circle
1555 Posts

Profile of The Duster
Quote:
On Mar 19, 2019, drawfull wrote:

wouldn't be confident* doing 'what are digits x thru y'.



Well - I know what the 50th is [easily] and the ones after/before that

And if you said give me digit 17 to 22 - it wouldn't take long [seconds to get there]

As I would just go through the words, counting the 'number of numbers' for each one....

But it wouldn't be as fast as a peg system [or a memorised stack] would be

On the treadmill I always count the digits as I go. So I know when I get to 50 or the end, if I have made a mistake. Maybe that's made it much quicker for me than I had just trusted I wasn't leaving digits [words] out

A quick question..... that I'm not sure about

To normal people [well math people, if they count as normal] - if I asked for the second digit of Pi

Would that be:

a) 1
b) 4

I know that might be a basci question - but I was wondering whether it [digits] starts from the 3 or after the 'point'
Ron Giesecke
View Profile
Special user
Redding, Ca.
934 Posts

Profile of Ron Giesecke
Quote:
On Mar 10, 2019, pegasus wrote:
For people who having nothing better to do in their spare time.

Not sure someone with nearly 7,000 posts exactly fits the definition of "a guy with a full calendar."
erichoudini
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of erichoudini
Thank you for the suggestions and encouragement Paperinick.
Eric.
no2ss
View Profile
Regular user
California
153 Posts

Profile of no2ss
Quote:
On Mar 18, 2019, erichoudini wrote:
Paperinick, I meant that in the course of an evening, I asked my girlfriend four times to choose a different card and then I revealed the number it was at in the mnemonica stack I learned from the nmenonica training download from Rick Lax.


Hi Eric,

As others have pointed out... that's not the best way to make use of a memdeck, as it (1) isn't very magical and (2) telegraphs the method (or, rather, shouts it out of a bullhorn). There are so many good books/thoughts on memdeck work, some of which were already mentioned, but here's my preferred list (some of the others that people recommend, I simply haven't read, but they could be good too!).

* Mnemonica by Juan Tamariz (obviously even more useful if you've memorized Mnemonica)
* Bound to Please by Simon Aaronson
* In Order to Amaze by Pit Hartling
* Temporarily Out of Order by Patrick Redford
* Memorandum by Woody Aragon

You don't need to read them all, but there are tons of great memdeck effects out there, most of which so drastically hide the method that they'll completely baffle nearly anyone.

Also, hey, it helps if you can do a convincing false shuffle. We'll see if Rick Lax comes out with a trainer on that soon too...
erichoudini
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of erichoudini
Thank you no2ss. I will check out some books and find a few memorized deck routines that work for me. I appreciate you taking the time to help.
Eric.
Ron Giesecke
View Profile
Special user
Redding, Ca.
934 Posts

Profile of Ron Giesecke
I have had the Lorayne/Lucas book for ages. I memorized the Mnemonica stack using a combination of the phonetic numbers, the peg and even the Memory Arts for asecond (I found it to be not as useful for me because I already had the basics of other systemic starting points.

I imagine this is as good as anything, but the deal is--at some point, you want all of that scaffolding to fall away and leave you with instant recall of number:card. There are a few things I do to ram it into my permanent memory:

1) I have a deck stacked on my desk at work, and between calls, I simply cut to a place, glimpse the bottom, and guess the top card.

2) I do the same thing, but double-lift the top card the guess the one prior. (these are done over and over, randomly)

3) Shuffle the deck and build the stack by hand, timing myself.

These have made the stack much more strong in my recall.

No matter what, time, and exposure will solidify the stack only, But these onramps to memorization at least help get one out of the gate.
paperinick
View Profile
Inner circle
my faro is starting to look nice after
1109 Posts

Profile of paperinick
In one of the Michael Close DVDs there is a section devoted to practicing the mem-deck, e.g. using a metronome.
It's a must.
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death my right to say "scr*w you" if you persist. [Voltaire Smile]
Ron Giesecke
View Profile
Special user
Redding, Ca.
934 Posts

Profile of Ron Giesecke
Quote:
On Mar 20, 2019, paperinick wrote:
In one of the Michael Close DVDs there is a section devoted to practicing the mem-deck, e.g. using a metronome.
It's a must.


Nice. Musicianship and magic.
drawfull
View Profile
Loyal user
qmagi.com
242 Posts

Profile of drawfull
Quote:
On Mar 19, 2019, The Duster wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 19, 2019, drawfull wrote:

wouldn't be confident* doing 'what are digits x thru y'.



Well - I know what the 50th is [easily] and the ones after/before that

And if you said give me digit 17 to 22 - it wouldn't take long [seconds to get there]

As I would just go through the words, counting the 'number of numbers' for each one....

But it wouldn't be as fast as a peg system [or a memorised stack] would be

On the treadmill I always count the digits as I go. So I know when I get to 50 or the end, if I have made a mistake. Maybe that's made it much quicker for me than I had just trusted I wasn't leaving digits [words] out

A quick question..... that I'm not sure about

To normal people [well math people, if they count as normal] - if I asked for the second digit of Pi

Would that be:

a) 1
b) 4

I know that might be a basci question - but I was wondering whether it [digits] starts from the 3 or after the 'point'


I started at 159. Which is still pretty pathetic I guess, but, luckily, it fit with the house number. If I understand what you're getting at re treadmill, that's not a bad idea really although I'd still like some backbone to it. But then pace of steps as you remember/learn? Similar to one of the ideas in Mnemonica with the song.

Coming back to any system, including this, it's always (to me) a lot harder to go backwards to the point that I can't so I don't. As much as I think this will work for some, doing it in reverse will take a lot of time.
tjackson8685
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of tjackson8685
I am VERY happy with this purchase. I realize everyone is different but for me this method seems to work better than others I have tries. For $20 I was willing to take a chance and am glad I did.
The Duster
View Profile
Inner circle
1555 Posts

Profile of The Duster
Valentine's Day is on the 28th Feb [?]

My mind is blown

You crazy yanks

Or Rick just forgets every year - and so makes up for it a few weeks later
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4192 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Quote:
On Mar 26, 2019, The Duster wrote:
Valentine's Day is on the 28th Feb [?]


They do mothers day on a different day too. It's later in the year.

Quote:
On Mar 26, 2019, The Duster wrote:
My mind is blown

You crazy yanks

Or Rick just forgets every year - and so makes up for it a few weeks later


Works for me for my dad's birthday and my wife's come to that too!
Dave “SPARKY” Matkin

http://www.gofundme.com/MyMadTriathlon

Now AKA........
Smile “WHEELS” Smile
That’s the closest smilies to a wheelchair so I’m using them despite not having a horse ….. or being able to do the walking globe. Mmmmm can you do a walking globe in a wheelchair?
The Duster
View Profile
Inner circle
1555 Posts

Profile of The Duster
It says Valentine's day 28th Feb

But later on - he repeats that Feb has 28 days

So I'm not sure which he actually means

But I just pictured the Tr******* dating two [2*14]

TBH 30 was totally obscure for me......
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4192 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Quote:
On Mar 26, 2019, The Duster wrote:
It says Valentine's day 28th Feb

But later on - he repeats that Feb has 28 days

So I'm not sure which he actually means

But I just pictured the Tr******* dating two [2*14]

TBH 30 was totally obscure for me......


Well to be honest that entire post from you was obscure from my point of view as I don't have this trainer. I may get it just to decode your message ... but then your not really the Nazis and I'm certainly no Alan Turing.
Dave “SPARKY” Matkin

http://www.gofundme.com/MyMadTriathlon

Now AKA........
Smile “WHEELS” Smile
That’s the closest smilies to a wheelchair so I’m using them despite not having a horse ….. or being able to do the walking globe. Mmmmm can you do a walking globe in a wheelchair?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Mnemonica Trainer by Rick Lax (30 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL