The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Mnemonica Trainer by Rick Lax (30 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
paperinick
View Profile
Inner circle
my faro is starting to look nice after
1113 Posts

Profile of paperinick
I am going to strip the audio track and listen to it on my daily commute... Smile
-e
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death my right to say "scr*w you" if you persist. [Voltaire Smile]
tjackson8685
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of tjackson8685
[quote]On Mar 27, 2019, The Duster wrote:
Oh come on......

I gave in, to believing that in the USA valentine's day is on the 28th of Feb


----He didn't say Valentines Day is Feb 28th. He said the hook is to Valentines day which is in Feb which has 28 days

When he suggested that the Canadian drinking age was 19.... it isn't - it's 18

---- In the majority of Canada the drinking age is 19
The Duster
View Profile
Inner circle
1566 Posts

Profile of The Duster
No

He says at the end - that Feb has 28 days BUT that's not the hook

At the start he CLEARLY says Valentine's Day is on the 28th

He repeats that Valentine's Day is on the 28th

On the PDF it says Valentine's Day is on the 28th Feb [both in the drawing AND in the text]

So I completely refute you trying to reframe what he says - you are not correct.

Going back to the 32 numbers for roulette [I get it this was rushed but not knowing that or when Valentine's day is, shows Rick may not have very good general knowledge and should have got some one to proof this project] but the 32 for roulette is a super poor choice - as the 36th card is the same rank... d'oh... that would lead to memory clashes if you came back to it cold

Anyway I'm off to buy my pack of 18 cigarettes
Sudo Nimh
View Profile
Inner circle
1423 Posts

Profile of Sudo Nimh
For whatever it's worth...

I'm Canadian. Drinking age here is most definitely 19 in the majority of the country. Only 3 provinces have a legal drinking age of 18. The legal age for tobacco is 18 in some provinces and 19 in others.
Magic which awakens and nourishes the divine spirit in man encourages the growth of true humanity, in contrast to the materialistic outlook which binds man to the earth.

Contact: talkwithsudo@gmail.com
Salby
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1134 Posts

Profile of Salby
.
Thinking about purchasing this, but I rather learn Aronson's Memorized Deck.

Can this be easily applied to it or do you think another video will be released by Rick Lax?

Both memorized decks are pretty popular.
.
You know how to make God laugh?........... Tell him your plans!!!
The Duster
View Profile
Inner circle
1566 Posts

Profile of The Duster
Quote:
On Mar 30, 2019, Salby wrote:
.
Thinking about purchasing this, but I rather learn Aronson's Memorized Deck.

Can this be easily applied to it or do you think another video will be released by Rick Lax?

Both memorized decks are pretty popular.
.


I would guess - that he won't release an aronson mem tutorial

As they released this one because Penguin have bought the rights to the stack

It is much more likely [and suggested] that follow up releases will be 'things/tircks to do with the stack'

And - no this will not 'help' you too much with another stack

EXCEPT you can see what he has done and create your own list of hooks/pegs that work for another stack... and of course the actual cards will be the same images

So it's not it won't help you at all - but it's all pretty standard

And although I have railed about how lazy - so many of the pegs are - he just needed to spend a little more time... this is still a good product. And Rick does teach it well. The way he 'says' the 'pictures' - and the pace of the learning... it is very well done.

I just guess he knew the stack - and this is not the system he used, so it's a little 'wrong' and poorly thought out. But even then it's only about 1 in 7 cards that are poor choices.

The real trick here - is after you have used the system, you need to use the stack enough, that you never use the system... it just seeps into automatic knowledge
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4216 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Quote:
On Mar 30, 2019, The Duster wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 30, 2019, Salby wrote:
.
Thinking about purchasing this, but I rather learn Aronson's Memorized Deck.

Can this be easily applied to it or do you think another video will be released by Rick Lax?

Both memorized decks are pretty popular.
.


I would guess - that he won't release an aronson mem tutorial

As they released this one because Penguin have bought the rights to the stack

It is much more likely [and suggested] that follow up releases will be 'things/tircks to do with the stack'

And - no this will not 'help' you too much with another stack

EXCEPT you can see what he has done and create your own list of hooks/pegs that work for another stack... and of course the actual cards will be the same images

So it's not it won't help you at all - but it's all pretty standard

And although I have railed about how lazy - so many of the pegs are - he just needed to spend a little more time... this is still a good product. And Rick does teach it well. The way he 'says' the 'pictures' - and the pace of the learning... it is very well done.

I just guess he knew the stack - and this is not the system he used, so it's a little 'wrong' and poorly thought out. But even then it's only about 1 in 7 cards that are poor choices.

The real trick here - is after you have used the system, you need to use the stack enough, that you never use the system... it just seeps into automatic knowledge



Hi Duster

Is that knowlege or speculation about Penguin buying the rites to the stack?
Dave “SPARKY” Matkin

http://www.gofundme.com/MyMadTriathlon

Now AKA........
Smile “WHEELS” Smile
That’s the closest smilies to a wheelchair so I’m using them despite not having a horse ….. or being able to do the walking globe. Mmmmm can you do a walking globe in a wheelchair?
The Duster
View Profile
Inner circle
1566 Posts

Profile of The Duster
Rick says so during the video
The Duster
View Profile
Inner circle
1566 Posts

Profile of The Duster
And he says tricks will be in the ‘next’ release for this stack that he will do
erichoudini
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of erichoudini
Thank you to everyone who made suggestions to me about the presentation of the MD. I have learned a couple of false cuts and shuffles which seem to convince the lay person that my location and revelation of their card is truly magical.
Eric.
paperinick
View Profile
Inner circle
my faro is starting to look nice after
1113 Posts

Profile of paperinick
To repeat my question on the new page: does anybody have the original censored PDF?
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death my right to say "scr*w you" if you persist. [Voltaire Smile]
Philippe
View Profile
Special user
594 Posts

Profile of Philippe
For a really easy life, hassle free and instant happiness..... I chose the Boris Wild system.
Sudo Nimh
View Profile
Inner circle
1423 Posts

Profile of Sudo Nimh
I never realized memorizing a deck of cards was so difficult...

Well, if someone wants to remove the Joyal and Aronson stack from my memory, I'll let you have them because I've only been using the Tamariz for like...forever now. Smile

I get that not everyone learns the same way, but determination wins the day. Always. For what it's worth, I *highly* recommend the Mnemonica Stack Trainer app. It only costs about $5.00 - or somewhere around there, IIRC. I didn't need it, but I bought it just to check it out and it's a lot of fun. It turns the memorization process into a game and if you don't have the stack memorized already, just a few fun hours spent playing this game will have you settled - easily.

I promise, you'll love it. If you have the stack already memorized, play this once in a while and it'll make you super fast.
Magic which awakens and nourishes the divine spirit in man encourages the growth of true humanity, in contrast to the materialistic outlook which binds man to the earth.

Contact: talkwithsudo@gmail.com
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4216 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Quote:
On Mar 31, 2019, Sudo Nimh wrote:
I never realized memorizing a deck of cards was so difficult...

Well, if someone wants to remove the Joyal and Aronson stack from my memory, I'll let you have them because I've only been using the Tamariz for like...forever now. Smile

I get that not everyone learns the same way, but determination wins the day. Always. For what it's worth, I *highly* recommend the Mnemonica Stack Trainer app. It only costs about $5.00 - or somewhere around there, IIRC. I didn't need it, but I bought it just to check it out and it's a lot of fun. It turns the memorization process into a game and if you don't have the stack memorized already, just a few fun hours spent playing this game will have you settled - easily.

I promise you'll love it. If you have the stack already memorized, play this once in a while and it'll make you super fast.


I am a Mnemonica fan, to be honest. And in the book Jaan covers a lot of different ways to learn the stack. I don't honestly think another video is needed. Having said that really only the one book is needed but I am also rather fond of The Memory Arts book(s) which is full of really nice artwork and a nice journey for the Journey method.

I do also have the app and use that to keep up my knowledge - as we need to keep rehearsing information if we want to keep and more importantly to retrieve it easily. Its good to run through it eveyr now and again.

And then there is the lovely Marksman deck.... Smile
Dave “SPARKY” Matkin

http://www.gofundme.com/MyMadTriathlon

Now AKA........
Smile “WHEELS” Smile
That’s the closest smilies to a wheelchair so I’m using them despite not having a horse ….. or being able to do the walking globe. Mmmmm can you do a walking globe in a wheelchair?
Sudo Nimh
View Profile
Inner circle
1423 Posts

Profile of Sudo Nimh
I learned my stacks by simply writing the stack numbers on the back of each card in large bold black marker. I start with the first 13 and shuffle them up. Then I run through the faces and try to determine the numbers on the back. Do that a bunch of times, then do the opposite by going through the backs and trying to determine the faces. Once I think I've got them decent enough, I then mix them face-up and face-down and try to do same. Any cards I get wrong at this point, are set aside. Whatever cards I set aside are now focused upon until they evaporate and I no longer miss any.

I'll do this for about 2 hours. The next day I repeat this exact same process with cards 14-26. Once I no longer miss any of those, I add in 1-13 and run through them all the same way again.

Day 3, I add in 27-39...you get the idea. Long story short, with only 2 hours of practice each day, for 4 days in a row, I get them locked in. Days 5, 6, and 7 - I simply spend 2 hours on each doing the entire deck. By the end of the week, everything is permanently locked into place. I did that with the Joyal, Aronson, and Tamariz stack and even though I haven't used the Aronson or Joyal in about 15 years, I can still fire them off with no problem. I stick with Juan's stack simply because being able to openly set it up from a newly opened deck in just seconds is a HUGE advantage, and something you just can't do with the other stacks. There's other reasons too - of course, but that's the biggest draw for me.
Magic which awakens and nourishes the divine spirit in man encourages the growth of true humanity, in contrast to the materialistic outlook which binds man to the earth.

Contact: talkwithsudo@gmail.com
rosariorose9
View Profile
Special user
Kreskin guessed that I had
688 Posts

Profile of rosariorose9
Quote:
On Mar 31, 2019, Sudo Nimh wrote:

....For what it's worth, I *highly* recommend the Mnemonica Stack Trainer app. It only costs about $5.00 - or somewhere around there, IIRC....


My phone is Android, and there are a number of Mnemonica Stack Trainers. Any one in particular that you can recommend? Thanks.
Sudo Nimh
View Profile
Inner circle
1423 Posts

Profile of Sudo Nimh
This is the one I'm referring to: https://play.google.com/store/apps/detai......hl=en_CA

However, there's this too (though I haven't played with it), which is browser-based: http://mnemonicatrainer.altervista.org/

That first one is great.
Magic which awakens and nourishes the divine spirit in man encourages the growth of true humanity, in contrast to the materialistic outlook which binds man to the earth.

Contact: talkwithsudo@gmail.com
rosariorose9
View Profile
Special user
Kreskin guessed that I had
688 Posts

Profile of rosariorose9
Thanks so much for the link, Sudo. Just ordered it!
The Duster
View Profile
Inner circle
1566 Posts

Profile of The Duster
Sorry I didn't get here earlier - but I would have recommended this one:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/detai......hl=en_CA

It's only a little bit more

And you can use it for any/all stacks

I just think it's a lot better value
tgaffney
View Profile
New user
41 Posts

Profile of tgaffney
This is a really good learning tool

I have made more progress, quicker than all the other mem
systems I have bought / tried.

Anyone, who watches the download (90 mins) start to finish
at least 5 times, will have the deck committed to memory
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Mnemonica Trainer by Rick Lax (30 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL