The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Mnemonica Trainer by Rick Lax (30 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
1469 Posts

Profile of 252life
Where it has to go Smile
Look for all the world like you're counting the brain cells in his cranium.

-Theodore Annemann
no2ss
View Profile
Regular user
California
167 Posts

Profile of no2ss
Quote:
On Mar 11, 2019, Craig333 wrote:
I have Woody aragon's memorandum stack committed to memory, is it confusing to have 2 stacks down?

Everyone's different, obviously, but I haven't had a problem memorizing two stacks. About to start on a third as well (Redford's, following Mnemonica and Aaronson).
Craig333
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Craig333
Quote:
On Mar 12, 2019, no2ss wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 11, 2019, Craig333 wrote:
I have Woody aragon's memorandum stack committed to memory, is it confusing to have 2 stacks down?

Everyone's different, obviously, but I haven't had a problem memorizing two stacks. About to start on a third as well (Redford's, following Mnemonica and Aaronson).

nice one, might give it a go cheers Smile
Magicalos
View Profile
Loyal user
297 Posts

Profile of Magicalos
Cant unhear rick lax talking about spongebob putting poop in his butt Smile
MagicBrent
View Profile
Inner circle
2096 Posts

Profile of MagicBrent
As a visual learner who doesn't like to read instructions, this was one of the best purchases I've ever made. I find card tricks boring or have but this has re-ignited the "superhero" mentality I haven't had in experiencing a childlike wonder with magic for cards in a long time. This is fun to learn and I'm amazed how fast I'm taken to it. I bought Juan's illustrated version but this connects better with me.
mayhem
View Profile
New user
92 Posts

Profile of mayhem
Quote:
On Mar 11, 2019, Maxy wrote:
This site is very good for training:
http://www.memorizedeck.com/

Thanks for sharing, this will come in handy. I purchased this yesterday, and so far seems to be the one that will help me finally remember this stack.
scottvraneshfallin
View Profile
New user
Las Vegas, NV
58 Posts

Profile of scottvraneshfallin
Quote:
On Mar 12, 2019, 252life wrote:
Where it has to go Smile

I honestly don't know why you're smiling, but I have this effect and I'm laughing for my own reasons Smile
cho7
View Profile
New user
France
64 Posts

Profile of cho7
Looks like one of the many methods that we can find in Tony Buzan's books, right ? Because I have 3 of them so I'm not really sure to learn something :-/
fireisyummy
View Profile
Regular user
124 Posts

Profile of fireisyummy
This is without a doubt the most important download penguin has ever put out. I've been struggling for years to memorize a deck and never got anywhere. I've tried a lot of the stuff from Mneumonica. I've tried a bunch of stuff Simon Aronson recommended. I've spent forever trying to work on memorizing a deck based on a memory palace but I changed my mind as to what system to use way too many times so I never even completed making my system.

But now, here I am. I just finished watching the video yesterday. There were a couple of pop culture references I really wasn't familiar with (Ace, 27, 34, 42 for example) but I'm trying to learn about them. I was kind of expecting some magician references but for some reason Rick Lax stayed clear of them. I wonder why... Penguin just uploaded the accompanying PDF (with some really bad mistakes in the text underneath a few of them. Somebody really should have reviewed the text at least one time. The pictures are all correct so its obvious when the text is completely describing the wrong thing) and now here I am. I put in under 2 hours practicing and reviewing so far and I'm already correct about 95% of the time and I assume by tomorrow I should be at 100%.I never dreamed it would be possible to memorize a deck this fast. I wish this would have came out years ago. Now I just have to go back and find all those tricks I couldn't do because I couldn't memorize a deck....

Thank you Rick Lax!!!!
mayhem
View Profile
New user
92 Posts

Profile of mayhem
I'm loving this more each day. I don't have a lot of time this week, but decided to do 10 at a time and once I had the first 10, moved on to next 10. I have the first 30 memorized and am confident that I'll retain the information long term. I saw another link that I use to test myself on it.

https://joecreates.co.uk/magicians/

You can set it up to show a certain number of cards in the stack and practice this way when you don't have a deck of cards with you. At home, I have the cards that I know in a stack and mix them and run through them. Very happy with this purchase as I see this is finally a method that works for me.
fireisyummy
View Profile
Regular user
124 Posts

Profile of fireisyummy
Quote:
On Mar 13, 2019, fireisyummy wrote:
This is without a doubt the most important download penguin has ever put out. I've been struggling for years to memorize a deck and never got anywhere. I've tried a lot of the stuff from Mneumonica. I've tried a bunch of stuff Simon Aronson recommended. I've spent forever trying to work on memorizing a deck based on a memory palace but I changed my mind as to what system to use way too many times so I never even completed making my system.

But now, here I am. I just finished watching the video yesterday. There were a couple of pop culture references I really wasn't familiar with (Ace, 27, 34, 42 for example) but I'm trying to learn about them. I was kind of expecting some magician references but for some reason Rick Lax stayed clear of them. I wonder why... Penguin just uploaded the accompanying PDF (with some really bad mistakes in the text underneath a few of them. Somebody really should have reviewed the text at least one time. The pictures are all correct so its obvious when the text is completely describing the wrong thing) and now here I am. I put in under 2 hours practicing and reviewing so far and I'm already correct about 95% of the time and I assume by tomorrow I should be at 100%.I never dreamed it would be possible to memorize a deck this fast. I wish this would have came out years ago. Now I just have to go back and find all those tricks I couldn't do because I couldn't memorize a deck....

Thank you Rick Lax!!!!

Here I am one day later and I'm now correct 100% of the time. I'm in shock at how fast this went.

It did take a lot of effort becoming more familiar with many of the pop culture references that Rick Lax made that I was completely unfamiliar with or learning some facts I didn't know.

I'm still too slow to use this in the course of a show but in another few days I should be fast enough (I hope...) Some numbers pop into my mind immediately, other ones I have to think for a few seconds which is not something I can really do in a show. I hope to have this ready to perform in a week.
fireisyummy
View Profile
Regular user
124 Posts

Profile of fireisyummy
I see that Penguin removed the PDF. Good for them. The mistakes on the PDF were awful (twice they have completely the wrong story with the wrong number in the text). I look forward to them putting up the new fixed PDF soon.
Tempesta
View Profile
Veteran user
USA
398 Posts

Profile of Tempesta
Is quick recall an advantage of this system as opposed to a brute force, systematic, or rule-based system?
//Sean Beard
civins
View Profile
New user
Scotland
98 Posts

Profile of civins
How does this compare to the memory acts project by the the Trustmans?
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
2970 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
Quote:
On Mar 14, 2019, Tempesta wrote:
Is quick recall an advantage of this system as opposed to a brute force, systematic, or rule-based system?

Yes - once you get the cultural reference that Lax uses for each number, a cartoon image for that number will pop into your head after a pretty minimal amount of practice and review. When it does, you’ll also have the value and suit of the card. It helps that the images are very well drawn by the guy who does all of the magician cartoon avatars for Penguin, and each is some measure of absurd, funny or deliberately offensive in a few cases. There’s an internal logic to the representation of the values and suits, so the main trigger to get the image is getting familiar with the cultural, political or scientific reference for each number. Some are more obscure than others, and a couple are a real stretch (ie, the wordplay used for 37 and 46) but then the quirkiness of the outliers is memorable in its own way. After a couple of days you’ll probably be able to play the images in your head backwards and forwards starting at any number.
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
macc
View Profile
Regular user
178 Posts

Profile of macc
A little review/my experience with memory work

A few years ago I played a bit with things like working out quickly the day of the week for any date (very well explained on this page: https://gmmentalgym.blogspot.com/2011/03......html?m=1 it seems a lot and difficult at first but it's pretty easy) and different memory techniques. A few of them I was really surprised with like memorizing very quickly black and red alternation in a deck.

Another thing that I liked and still do was the "Major system" which is a phonetic number system and is used to memorize numbers Smile which IMHO is really easy to learn. I combined that with "Loki" whch is another memory system and I was very surprised how fast I was able to memorize long strings of numbers.

But I never managed to memorize a card stack completely for the long term. That was just a bit too much effort for me. So I sticked with Richard Osterlinds BCS Stack. Which is a wonderful stack.

And now I'm just done watching the download. And I'm impressed. It's really really easy. You watch the download and in 90 minutes you kinda have the stack down.

The images and connections are so we'll thought out that I had to smile many times just how clever some of the images are. I'm not from America so some of the numbers won't stick with me very well. I think I will substitute them withy own Images.

Most likely I will just use the "Major System" because I have the words for all two digit numbers already in my head.

I'm really looking forward to not only the univers of effects I can read up on and practice but also on practicing the stack on my way to work every morning. Smile

I highly recommend the app "memdeck pro"
macc
View Profile
Regular user
178 Posts

Profile of macc
Going through it with a deck of cards again I found that when I look at a card I don't even have to check. I know it's the right number.

And at the moment I need more time to go from number to card. It's a bit more diffiult.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
4563 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Quote:
On Mar 12, 2019, Dan McLean wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 11, 2019, MAGIC325 wrote:
Penguin said that there are no flashcards.

Then Penguin needs to watch the video they supplied and produced. Rick Lax says "a sheet with drawings that we have included." About 48 minutes into it.

So where's the sheet?

D

They put out a downloadable "17 page PDF" with all the images that he went over in the "first version" of the video. They pulled the PDF pretty quick (I was "lucky enough" to grab it as well as the first version vid but Found that there were number / suit mistakes made on the PDF. Now the video has buffered out several images (for copyright issues, I would believe since they are "7 dwarfs, Spongebob, and Jack Sparrow) They may even want to rethink Ace Venture (to be safe) others like Elvis, Hitler, John McEnroe, Queen of England may all fall under "public figure laws" (I am certainly not a copyright lawyer, but this is my guess). I asked late today on the chat if they had any idea when the new materials will be up and they said they were hoping for the end of today but I suspect "sometime next week at the earliest" as it seems to not only need a good proofreading but a good bit of total re-writes at this point for all the removed material.

Personally, It was still a "Pre-Order" when I hit the "buy button" It stated shipping Monday although I was able to download the video Sunday when I ordered. So.... I am ok with giving them some time to "make it right" (without having a fit) Smile . However, I am a bit upset that it indicated that it would "Ship On x/xx/2019" causing me to think it must be a set of flashcards (it was in fact a PDF) and I tossed $30 more that I really didn't want to pull the trigger on to get the free shipping on what I perceived was a "ship-able product". If it were more clear (or maybe I missed it) I would have just ordered it and been ok with the wait.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
2970 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
Whatever characters they choose to replace the Disney assets, they really should consider drawing them to closely resemble Bob Iger.
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
4563 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Before my PM box gets full, there were many errors on the PDF (others point it out in the Penguin “discuss” private forum) so I deleted it and am also waiting on the new one as it wouldn’t have been useful once images that need changed get changed.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Mnemonica Trainer by Rick Lax (30 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL