The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » New book from Matt Baker - The Buena Vista Shuffle Club (41 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
stickmondoo
View Profile
Loyal user
256 Posts

Profile of stickmondoo
Hey Matt. I received my book just after it was released. Thanks for the fast postage. I just wanted to say that the first 30 pages on Memorized Deck Magic were worth the price of the book for me. And some. I am only half way through the rest of the book, but am loving every second of it. There is so much magic in here its ridiculous. You have a very easy to read way of writing, and I have not enjoyed reading a magic book as much as this in a long time. I have been studying magic for over 15 years now but have already learnt a lot from your book, and the best thing about it (apart from the incredible routines) is that it is sparking my imagination like never before. So many ideas spinning round in my head at the moment. Thanks Matt for such a great Magic Book. It is right up there with all my favourites. Beam, Lorayne, Bannon, Aronson, Trost. Thanks again.
stickmondoo
View Profile
Loyal user
256 Posts

Profile of stickmondoo
Triple-fried is the best secret I have found in a Magic book since god knows when. Brilliant. Absolutely brilliant.
Waterloophai
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1177 Posts

Profile of Waterloophai
Quote:
On Apr 10, 2019, mimo67 wrote:
... exactly the kind of dream book with excellent magic and methods, best book buy in 2019 so far ! ...

and with a probability bordering on certainty for the remainder of 2019, 2020 and 2021.
And I don't mean this as a joke. Buy this book!

And no, I didn't get the book for free or with a discount, I have never met Matt Baker personally and he has never asked me to write anything positive about his book.(I was introduced to his magic through his Penguin Live Act.)
Perhaps important to know for those who know some "tactics" on this forum.
stickmondoo
View Profile
Loyal user
256 Posts

Profile of stickmondoo
I agree with everything Waterloophai says above. I just can’t imagine another book this year topping this one. He improves two Simon Aronson routines! How is that possible? The presentations are engaging and the methods diabolical.

I also do not know Matt personally. I heard about his book on this forum and then went to his website and saw a short video book review by Simon Aronson who highly recommended it. If Mr Aronson recommends a book I buy it. When it arrived I was gobsmacked by how good it was. I had never seen anything by Matt before and had no idea what was coming. After Simons review I was very hopeful, but was not prepared for what I got. Every effect in the book is brilliant. There is just no filler here. One of the best things is that after each effect the presentation and method are discussed as if between a group of fictional friends (the Shuffle Club). During these conversations so many insights are gained and different ways of looking at things gone into. It’s so well written too.

Thank you so much Matt. Every single aspect of this book is quality. I appreciate so much the time you have obviously put into this book so you could share your brilliant magical ideas with all of us.
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
3677 Posts

Profile of JanForster
Could you stop that, please? Your teasing is unendurable... Smile I ordered the book some time ago and I am still waiting that it hits my door... I know, it must be superb... alone Simon's endorsement speaks for itself Smile ... Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
stickmondoo
View Profile
Loyal user
256 Posts

Profile of stickmondoo
Hey Jan, I know how knowledgeable you are about magic and M Deck, so you might already know the principle behind Triple-Fried, but it was new to me and I was soooo happy when I read it ;-)
Waterloophai
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1177 Posts

Profile of Waterloophai
Quote:
On Apr 14, 2019, stickmondoo wrote:
I heard about his book on this forum .....
Thank you so much Matt.... .

So you have to thank me ! Smile Smile Smile
Waterloophai
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1177 Posts

Profile of Waterloophai
Quote:
On Apr 14, 2019, JanForster wrote:
Could you stop that, please? Your teasing is unendurable... Smile I ordered the book some time ago and I am still waiting that it hits my door...

I do not know if it is true, but there are rumors that the sending of the book to Germany has been delayed for 8 months.
That must be terrible if you live in Germany. Probably has something to do with the Brexit.
:-)
stickmondoo
View Profile
Loyal user
256 Posts

Profile of stickmondoo
Thank you so much Waterloophai!!
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
3677 Posts

Profile of JanForster
Quote:
On Apr 14, 2019, Waterloophai wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 14, 2019, JanForster wrote:
Could you stop that, please? Your teasing is unendurable... Smile I ordered the book some time ago and I am still waiting that it hits my door...

I do not know if it is true, but there are rumors that the sending of the book to Germany has been delayed for 8 months.
That must be terrible if you live in Germany. Probably has something to do with the Brexit.

This is why I asked to delay the Brexit at least until end of October... so, that has worked for me... now I am working and dealing with the American, British and German post. That should be done pretty fast compared with my negotiations with British politicians, if you still want to call them that... Smile Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
stickmondoo
View Profile
Loyal user
256 Posts

Profile of stickmondoo
I am ashamed to be British at the moment. I will always consider myself European whatever the dipsticks in power here decide in the end. Peace. Anyway, no politics, just Magic.
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
3677 Posts

Profile of JanForster
Yes, we do... Smile Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
mlippo
View Profile
Inner circle
Trieste (Italy)
1007 Posts

Profile of mlippo
I pre-ordered a copy before its release and received it on Friday. Knowing the proverbial slowness of Italian mail service, this is to be considered a bonus magic effect by Matt Baker!

Still going through each effect, but so far the material in it is definately bloody good!

Great job, Matt!!!

Mark
mbakermagic
View Profile
New user
33 Posts

Profile of mbakermagic
The Buena Vista Shuffle Club has now been entered into the Conjuring Archive database, thanks to Denis Behr and Harapan Ong!
https://www.conjuringarchive.com/list/book/1828
Ron Giesecke
View Profile
Special user
Redding, Ca.
935 Posts

Profile of Ron Giesecke
I just received this book--directly from Matt on Saturday. I have gone through a few things, but I need to say this. This book is possibly one of the most well-designed, interesting and enjoyable layouts. Matt clearly cares about how his work is presented.

I received the Penguin lecture as well with my purchase. I started to watch it--and then bailed on it. Reading the book and doing the presentational calculus in my head based on his writing is way more fun (this is not a criticism of Matt's performing--just that the book is so "alive.")

It should contend for best of 2019, easily. I will review it in depth later, but "Card College" is an absolute joy to learn--especially if you love memorized deck principles. I wish Mnemonica were written like this. I'd probably get more out of it.
David Numen
View Profile
Inner circle
1760 Posts

Profile of David Numen
I bought this book via Vanishing Magic UK and it arrived yesterday. What a treat! I'm halfway through and I simultaneously want to devour it and slow down so it never ends. The second trick in the book is one I have an immediate use for and fits in with something I'm putting together. So far I haven't read one bad trick nor a single trick I felt "meh" about. It's all stellar stuff and the "Club" stuff could easily have been annoying but it's lovely.

I cannot endorse this enough but also don't want anyone else reading it.

Well done Matt - when's the next one out?
Zedd
View Profile
Loyal user
Germany
264 Posts

Profile of Zedd
What a GREAT book!! One of the best for MD-Workers!!! Please keep going!!!!!
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
3677 Posts

Profile of JanForster
It is indeed a wonderful book! An absolute pleasure to read, style, humour, content, superb! I am not even half through as I want to take my time, trying out things and discuss and session with the funny guys in it... Smile ... If you do any MD work, get this book! If you don't, still get the book, you might want to start it latest by now... Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
dylanxtay
View Profile
Regular user
Singapore
101 Posts

Profile of dylanxtay
Just ordered! Can't wait for it to arrive.
Dylan Tay
Magician & Cardist

Check Out My First Cardistry Tutorial Release http://thenewdeckorder.com/hk-tutorial-pack

Broken Borders Playing Cards Available Now!
https://youtu.be/5NRC7AbS0Rw

Check out my new Cardistry video, "Iridescent" right now!
https://youtu.be/iXPUETl8eQ8
lemonjug
View Profile
Loyal user
248 Posts

Profile of lemonjug
Terrific review, Steve. Thanks very much.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » New book from Matt Baker - The Buena Vista Shuffle Club (41 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL