The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Something New to argue about.... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Animated Puppets
View Profile
Regular user
Lost on a Green Screen
148 Posts

Profile of Animated Puppets
Well... that is what most of these threads should be labeled, so I decided to offer a little honesty in advertising.

Since I created this thread I have to choose something that I have a firm position on (otherwise it could be considered trolling/baiting).

So... it can't be Political... Religion is a No-No...

Ah, found one... since I'm a natural cynic this comic comes to mind very often (the last panel to be exact)

It boggles my mind as to why people like the things they like (self proclaimed cynic) especially when it is so bad.

Throw in the fake reviews on Amazon, Goodreads, and other sites (not to mention people buying fake good reviews) and it is hard to find an honest opinion these days.

OK, I was disappointed on a new book from an author I like (bought instantly when I saw it). The sites mentioned above are trying to drown the pages with fake 5 star reviews, but the disappointed readers and holding their own.

I understand that the publishers/authors are trying to make the most sales, but what really bothers me is that there are some people out there that actually liked it.

They acknowledge the weak areas, poor plot, and logical fallacies, but still rate it a firewall 5 star review.

Anybody else?
Life's like a movie, write your own ending...
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
You're completely wrong: this is not something new about which to argue.

It's old. Very, very old.
Animated Puppets
View Profile
Regular user
Lost on a Green Screen
148 Posts

It's like when people order a Pizza... "I like a pizza with everything, but with no mushrooms, jalapeno's, black olives..."

It's the contradictions that get me.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19626 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
The best seller list has been accused of the same thing you assert here.

My question is why does others liking something bother you so much? Who cares what others like? It seems (I know it isn't, but this is how it comes across.) A as if you want everyone to march in lock step with your opinion.

People read books and all other things they do for different reasons. They have different expectations than you might so therefore it does not bother them. Why let it bother you?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Animated Puppets
View Profile
Regular user
Lost on a Green Screen
148 Posts

It bothers me when they contradict themselves in their reviews. Like the pizza comment above, or...

Danny I agree with your position 100% but you are wrong on how it comes across from me, and the different reasons people read books, and...

People shouldn't agree (hence something new to argue about) about everything but should also not contradict their own statements.

I'm a cynic so I judge books a bit harder (especially when the science doesn't add up in a heavily science'd story line) so even though the crust was doughy in the middle, and half of the toppings slid to one side, and there were tire tread marks on top of the pizza box... I still give this pizza 5 STARS! *****
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On Mar 13, 2019, Mike Gainor wrote:
. . . jalapeno's . . . .[/i]

It's the apostrophes in plurals that get me.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19626 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
It bothers me when they contradict themselves in their reviews. Like the pizza comment above, or...

Danny I agree with your position 100% but you are wrong on how it comes across from me, and the different reasons people read books, and...

People shouldn't agree (hence something new to argue about) about everything but should also not contradict their own statements.

I'm a cynic so I judge books a bit harder (especially when the science doesn't add up in a heavily science'd story line) so even though the crust was doughy in the middle, and half of the toppings slid to one side, and there were tire tread marks on top of the pizza box... I still give this pizza 5 STARS! *****

How about the contradiction of you getting so angry when people contradict themselves, yet you want everyone to be themselves and all that? Really it is not a big deal and you are making it one. Seems odd. Do you not live with one single contradiction in your own life?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15737 Posts

Profile of tommy
Magic is a contradiction: It is but it can not be.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
gallagher
View Profile
Inner circle
1042 Posts

Profile of gallagher
Good morning Mike.
I believe,
'most folks',
are trying to avoid conflict.
I believe 'most',
don't want to offend others.
Therefore...."Ahh,,.great stuff!"

Secondly,
I believe 'many',...simply,...'aren't sure'(!).
So, instead of going out on the edge,..
and maybe 'falling',..
keep it safe.

All in all,
not the worst motivations(!).
But,...not 'the best'.

I think understanding what's happening, though,
...it's tolerable.

I also find,
that everyone,...everyone
has 'something',..
some little nit-pick,
...that they WILL stand for.
I believe this.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

What I personally find more annoying,
are folks who have a 'strong opinion',
on everything(!).
This lack of wonder,..
moments of un-certain,..
,..determination to determine moments....
Self-uncertainty?
,...Ego-center-racy?
...too lazy to think about things?

I strive for understanding,
..good coffee,
...and 'achievment'(?).

...the coffee's here!
Have a good day.
gallagher

p.s.: Mike, have you read any Walter Wilkenson?
'The Peep Show'.
You might like it. 🙂
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6080 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On Mar 13, 2019, S2000magician wrote:
Quote:

Darn! Just about to hit submit. I gotta be quicker on the draw.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15737 Posts

Profile of tommy
No conflict no drama: something that magicians ought to know.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Animated Puppets
View Profile
Regular user
Lost on a Green Screen
148 Posts

Quote:
On Mar 13, 2019, S2000magician wrote:
Quote:

It didn't have a red wavy line under it so I thought I was good
Animated Puppets
View Profile
Regular user
Lost on a Green Screen
148 Posts

Quote:
On Mar 13, 2019, Dannydoyle wrote:
Quote:

How about the contradiction of you getting so angry when people contradict themselves, yet you want everyone to be themselves and all that? Really it is not a big deal and you are making it one. Seems odd. Do you not live with one single contradiction in your own life?

Sure I do. I'm not talking about a single contradiction but rather multiple (layered) contradictions. So "I would like a pizza with everything, but no jalapenos Smile" is acceptable. An ongoing list isn't. Taking a star or two off does not mean it is a bad review.
Animated Puppets
View Profile
Regular user
Lost on a Green Screen
148 Posts

Quote:
On Mar 14, 2019, gallagher wrote:
Good morning Mike.
I believe,
'most folks',
are trying to avoid conflict.
I believe 'most',
don't want to offend others.
Therefore...."Ahh,,.great stuff!"

p.s.: Mike, have you read any Walter Wilkenson?
'The Peep Show'.
You might like it. 🙂

Oh I have no problem with those who don't want the conflict, nor the fan boys who love it no matter what. They do not contradict themselves. So "I loved it" 5***** is fine.

It is the "I found the following flaws but anything below a 5 star rating is offensive, so I'm still going to rate high" crowd.

Thanks for the book suggestion. Amazon has a few used ones I'm looking at.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19626 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Mar 14, 2019, Mike Gainor wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 13, 2019, Dannydoyle wrote:
Quote:

Sure I do. I'm not talking about a single contradiction but rather multiple (layered) contradictions. So "I would like a pizza with everything, but no jalapenos Smile" is acceptable. An ongoing list isn't. Taking a star or two off does not mean it is a bad review.

So YOU get to decide how many is too many?

I get what you're saying it is just that you don't see how it comes across is my point.

Also the thing that I find odd is when services ask for a review and tell you flat out anything BUT a perfect rating is going to hurt them. "We want the feedback when it is good, but not when it can help us".

So it is not that I don't see your point. It just comes across a bit pretentious is all.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Animated Puppets
View Profile
Regular user
Lost on a Green Screen
148 Posts

Quote:
On Mar 14, 2019, Dannydoyle wrote:

So YOU get to decide how many is too many?

I get what you're saying it is just that you don't see how it comes across is my point.

Also the thing that I find odd is when services ask for a review and tell you flat out anything BUT a perfect rating is going to hurt them. "We want the feedback when it is good, but not when it can help us".

So it is not that I don't see your point. It just comes across a bit pretentious is all.

That is why I threw out the "I'm cynical" comment earlier.

To paraphrase something you wrote in another thread " ...words have meaning" If you find fault with something it should reflect in your rating (somewhere). This is just a personal peeve of mine.
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved to Seattle to see
1058 Posts

Profile of imgic
It’s easier to say I’ll have pizza with everything minus onions, than listing all the ingredients.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
Animated Puppets
View Profile
Regular user
Lost on a Green Screen
148 Posts

Sort of a cup half full / half empty kind of thing Smile
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1252 Posts

Profile of Senor Fabuloso
Gallagher, I don't want to challenge your belief system but one look at this thread, will prove most of your positive beliefs wrong. I wish they weren't though Smile
No matter how many times you say the wrong thing, it will NEVER be right.

If I'm not responding to you? It's because you're a TROLL!
Animated Puppets
View Profile
Regular user
Lost on a Green Screen
148 Posts

This is my second attempt to post this (a few days ago I wrote almost all of this and it was eaten by the mousepad and backspace button), and I think we can give JoeJoe a break while I take a few hits.

After all, it... Something New to Argue About...

Bad Life Choices Vs. GoFundMe

I have a co-worker who has made several bad life choices. He has borrowed/asked to borrow from everyone in the office. He lives in the here and now and the future is future ******** problem. He makes at least $30K/year more than me (and I get paid well).

While in college (full football scholarship) he took out student loans ($50K) for 'spending money'. He owed the IRS and they stopped tapping his pay this month and will owe again this year. He also maxed out a credit card (6 months) to $16K. Currently he owes me and 2 (one is our boss) co-workers around $10K total. He has been robbing (borrowing) Peter to Pay Paul. We (the loaners) were not aware that he also owed other people in the office. He is now trying to get a large loan (regardless of interest rate) and pay for the next 10 years if it allows him to have breathing room. Though he should be in Ramen Noodle mode, he continues to live his same lifestyle and refuses to give up anything, stating "It's only X amount". He may lose his job over this.

GoFundMe. I have supported people in the past as I think it is a great way to help someone who has had a death in the family or sudden medical bills. Supporting a project is also good. However, I have noticed a lot of people creating pages asking for money for things they could have planned for or avoided. Throwing money at someone who will be in the same situation 2 months from now hardly seems practical.

My niece is also guilty of doing this. She created a GoFundMe page for assistance with college tuition last year. I didn't see the point of giving money to a 3rd party when I could just give it to her directly. She did this again today, but this time it is for an apartment and a car as she is changing schools. I will get her moved and set up; being that I’m such a great Uncle, but the mindset of the younger generation (get off my lawn!) boggles my mind.

So should you support someone who has, and continues to make bad life choices?

Do you toss in a few buck when a little advance planning could have prevented it?

I'm working with my co-worker (he’s 30 I'm 52) and trying to get him to stop digging.

Well?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Something New to argue about.... (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL