The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Something New to argue about.... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6080 Posts

Profile of magicfish
We were taught pride. Never to ask to even BORROW money let alone ask to HAVE money. Yet also taught to swallow pride occasionally if absolutely necessary to feed/house your family.
Animated Puppets
View Profile
Regular user
Lost on a Green Screen
148 Posts

Profile of Animated Puppets
Something New to Argue About...

We are currently arguing about this in our office...

I believe in the future we will no longer have 'cars', meaning everything will be mass public transportation. Minimal latency be it monorails or electric shuttles to get you to and fro.

Deaths due to auto accidents would become greatly reduced since there would not be a plethora of un-inattentive, drunk, or
inexperienced drivers on the road.

Road rage would also be greatly reduced.

My co-workers see it differently. The idea of not being able to drive their personal car (and the public as a whole) would lead to more violence/rage. I told them it wouldn't be greyhound buses but they rather accept the daily deaths rather than give up their car.

Funny thing(as a debate point I brought up) one of them had an Aunt die in a car accident and would still prefer maintaining the status quo...

Thoughts?
Life's like a movie, write your own ending...
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4714 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
I believe in the future we will no longer have 'cars', meaning everything will be mass public transportation.

Not a chance under the present world economic system. Everything points in the opposite direction at present. The few will have means of transport, the rest will not.
Animated Puppets
View Profile
Regular user
Lost on a Green Screen
148 Posts

About 2 weeks ago I was on vacation and drove for the first time in just shy of 2 years (I rented a Durango). The rest of year I ride a shuttle bus. My co=workers can't understand why I don't rent a car locally, but to me chilling out while listening to an audible book is better than dealing with all those drivers.

I see a lot of people looking down at their smart phones in their laps while driving down the road.

There are so many people driving without insurance and/or expired licenses.

Personally, I like being chauffeured around and if it could save 100's of lives each day... all the better.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2696 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Mar 13, 2019, Mike Gainor wrote:
It's like when people order a Pizza... "I like a pizza with everything, but with no mushrooms, jalapeno's, black olives..."

It's the contradictions that get me.

I think it would be better if they used "except," instead of "but with no," sometimes the list of what you don't want is shorter and easier to say.
"He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad." - Rafael Sabatini, Scaramouche
Animated Puppets
View Profile
Regular user
Lost on a Green Screen
148 Posts

A Republican, a Democrat, and a Liberal walk into a bar. They all have a good time and go home.

A Republican, a Democrat, and a Liberal respond to the same thread on a forum...
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26943 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
? 'The clown can stay...but the Ferengi in the gorilla suit has to go.' Smile ?
What was the joke? Smile
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26943 Posts

Is FutureWei really Huawei? https://www.bloomberg.com/research/stock......=6941005

Other arguable topic : Concentration Camp - Is it understood as distinct from the few in Germany and Poland which had that terrible other purpose - or really a term tainted by that war?
Animated Puppets
View Profile
Regular user
Lost on a Green Screen
148 Posts

Just so you know... it is possible to go out and do a good deed without the need to record it and post on social media...
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4714 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On Jun 24, 2019, Jonathan Townsend wrote:

Other arguable topic : Concentration Camp - Is it understood as distinct from the few in Germany and Poland which had that terrible other purpose - or really a term tainted by that war?

Distraction. Let's spend less time on the definitions and focus on what's actually happening in the here and now. It's terrible, terrible, terrible. Label it as you please.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26943 Posts

Quote:
On Aug 17, 2019, landmark wrote:
Quote:
On Jun 24, 2019, Jonathan Townsend wrote:

Distraction. Let's spend less time on the definitions and focus on what's actually happening in the here and now. It's terrible, terrible, terrible. Label it as you please.

Unfortunately if someone uses a branded label/term the discussion goes off the road. You can watch this happen in miniature at a restaurant when someone asks for a coke and gets a pepsi. Exactly this problem made the news recently when members of congress wanted to discuss foreign policy with those directly affected. Around here we get puzzle effect descriptions and methods about as reliable and practical as what Rube Goldberg drew in comics. Inertia? Tradition? Sunk costs? Vanity? Turn off the language and watch the behavior. As you described, "terrible, terrible, terrible" Smile Smile
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26943 Posts

Mr Salk
View Profile
Elite user
Tied to
487 Posts

Profile of Mr Salk
Quote:
On Aug 17, 2019, Animated Puppets wrote:

Just so you know... it is possible to go out and do a good deed without the need to record it and post on social media...

If a good-deed is done in the forest and no one posts it to Instagram, it didn't happen.
Tangentially, on a recent vacation I was overwhelmed by the percentage (near 100%) of people who include themselves in every landmark-photo. Selfie or it didn't happen.

Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26943 Posts

In a way that's an answer to the "would you take a million dollars if nobody would ever know" question. Smile
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26943 Posts

Splaining. Seems to be debatable. I take the position that it's not about empathy but instead about justifying narrative.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2696 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:

Can I put a Bible Quote in here and not get into trouble?

https://biblehub.com/matthew/6-1.htm
"He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad." - Rafael Sabatini, Scaramouche
Animated Puppets
View Profile
Regular user
Lost on a Green Screen
148 Posts

Quote:
On Aug 24, 2019, ed rhodes wrote:
Quote:

Can I put a Bible Quote in here and not get into trouble?

https://biblehub.com/matthew/6-1.htm

... and don't forget the people who 'like' it and 'share' it to show that they are caring human beings too.
Mr Salk
View Profile
Elite user
Tied to
487 Posts

Profile of Mr Salk
Doing good deeds alone is selfish. Everyone knows it takes a village.

Animated Puppets
View Profile
Regular user
Lost on a Green Screen
148 Posts

Quote:
On Aug 24, 2019, Mr Salk wrote:
Doing good deeds alone is selfish. Everyone knows it takes a village.

Mr Salk
View Profile
Elite user
Tied to
487 Posts

Profile of Mr Salk
Perception and being have little correlation with actual good. Massive well marketed philanthropic organizations supply the vast majority of serious aid to the world. Even mother Teresa was essentially backed by a billion dollar enterprise.

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Something New to argue about.... (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL