The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Something New to argue about.... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Animated Puppets
View Profile
Regular user
Lost on a Green Screen
148 Posts

Profile of Animated Puppets
Quote:
On Aug 25, 2019, Mr Salk wrote:
Perception and being have little correlation with actual good. Massive well marketed philanthropic organizations supply the vast majority of serious aid to the world. Even mother Teresa was essentially backed by a billion dollar enterprise.

In those cases 'Good' was a byproduct...
Life's like a movie, write your own ending...
Mr Salk
View Profile
Elite user
Tied to
478 Posts

Profile of Mr Salk
The Bill and Melinda Gates foundation, the Carnegies and the Vanderbilts all wrecked massive good upon the populace. Catholics of course are highly debatable.

landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4714 Posts

Profile of landmark
I won't speak of the Carnegies and Vanderbilts, but the Gates Foundation has been incredibly destructive in many areas, particularly with regard to public education.
Animated Puppets
View Profile
Regular user
Lost on a Green Screen
148 Posts

Quote:
The Bill and Melinda Gates foundation, the Carnegies and the Vanderbilts all wrecked massive good upon the populace. Catholics of course are highly debatable.

How is this different from taking a selfie when doing good? I mean, they put their names front and center so that everyone will know the 'good' they do. The rest is just 'good' PR....
Animated Puppets
View Profile
Regular user
Lost on a Green Screen
148 Posts

When asked why he went about with a selfie stick in broad daylight, Diogenes confessed, "I am looking for honest likes, man." Seeing a young man blush, he remarked that it was the complexion of virtue. ... When asked why he alone praised an indifferent harp player, Diogenes replied "because he plays the harp and does not steal... and I can share it."
Mr Salk
View Profile
Elite user
Tied to
478 Posts

Profile of Mr Salk
Quote:
On Aug 25, 2019, Animated Puppets wrote:
Quote:

How is this different from taking a selfie when doing good? I mean, they put their names front and center so that everyone will know the 'good' they do. The rest is just 'good' PR....

Scale. Vaccinating nations requires public support more than duck-faced vanity.

Mr Salk
View Profile
Elite user
Tied to
478 Posts

Profile of Mr Salk
Quote:
On Aug 25, 2019, landmark wrote:
I won't speak of the Carnegies and Vanderbilts, but the Gates Foundation has been incredibly destructive in many areas, particularly with regard to public education.

Probably debatable depending on your politics.

Mission: OUR GOAL: Significantly increase the number of black, Latino, and low-income students who earn a diploma, enroll in a postsecondary institution, and are on track in their first year to obtain a credential with labor-market value.

landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4714 Posts

Profile of landmark
Well, yes, it might depend on politics, but even with shared politics, it's clear 1) that just because a Foundation states that their mission is X, that doesn't mean that they have any expertise in attaining X, and 2) that, in fact, imposing one's view in an undemocratic way because you've got some billions to throw around pretty much guarantees the effort will go south.
Mr Salk
View Profile
Elite user
Tied to
478 Posts

Profile of Mr Salk
Quote:
On Aug 26, 2019, landmark wrote:
Well, yes, it might depend on politics, but even with shared politics, it's clear 1) that just because a Foundation states that their mission is X, that doesn't mean that they have any expertise in attaining X, and 2) that, in fact, imposing one's view in an undemocratic way because you've got some billions to throw around pretty much guarantees the effort will go south.

If by South you mean saving African lives with vaccines and educating poor minorities.

Animated Puppets
View Profile
Regular user
Lost on a Green Screen
148 Posts

Something New to Argue About...

Yesterday, upon this thread,
I inferred a post that wasn't said!
It wasn't said again today,
Oh how I wish we could waylay!
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26941 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
High resolution satellite photo or just PowerPoint slide?
https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2019......ch-site/
meanwhile - the guy who runs twitter lost control of his account:
https://techcrunch.com/2019/08/30/someon......account/

Random act of coincidence or too many fingers in the pie, what do you think?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Animated Puppets
View Profile
Regular user
Lost on a Green Screen
148 Posts

Something New to Argue About...

Why?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Something New to argue about.... (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL