The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Sleights that wont fool anyone (26 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Exactly.
Leo-Kim
View Profile
Veteran user
359 Posts

Profile of Leo-Kim
Quote:
On Mar 23, 2019, The Burnaby Kid wrote:
Not to worry. I'm going to use my magic powers to revert it back to 333. You're welcome!

And then I'm going to use them to double it and leave it that way permanently. You're welcome!

Rats! I'll never be allowed to play in Church again.
Thank you - I Think...

Mikael Johansson
Sweden
If it's worth doing, it's worth doing well (Donald Duck)
shaunluttin
View Profile
Special user
759 Posts

Profile of shaunluttin
The unquinquaguple lift rarely fools anyone.

Here is a 29-minute live performance of mine: https://youtu.be/lq2Rj1uf05M

I used to be quite sensitive to criticism; I am much less so now; so, please do criticize my technique, presentation, and posts. It helps me to grow, and I promise to take responsibility and not to be defensive.

magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
"If I may add my two cents. 

I believe that there's a subtle difference between using a Flustration Count to show four identical backs as opposed to four identical faces. Your audience should already assume that the backs of the cards are the same and the Flustration Count subtly "reconfirms" something that they already believe to be true."

- Daryl Easton
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
"See Ortiz' writings about conviction. 
The flushtration count casually, subtly, shows them what they already know."

- magicfish
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2831 Posts

Profile of Bob G
Steve Friedberg mentioned J C Wagner's take on the flushtration count, saying that it's quite convincing. (Hi Steve!) Anyone know on which DVD Wagner teaches it? Is it in fact different from the usual count, or is it just that Wagner is a master and can do the standard count so well that people don't notice it?

Bob
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Take a sleight, find a trick that depends up it, and see if it's deceptive. Glide? Write down the name of the second to the bottom card on a slip of paper set on the table - then start your "select a card process". Old school comments about marked cards and dry fingers omitted. The bottom card? No? Okay how about the card on the bottom now? No? This next card? ... deceptive?

Frustration count - Tell them you added a few extra cards to the pack but they look a little out of place - as they are dupes but also slightly different colored backs. They touch four cards. Flushtration count to show they got em-put and put those cards away. Deceptive?

Want to test how deceptive? Set up a routine to depend upon the sleight primary display of what's asserted as magical. The shapeshifter change is usually done in focus, but more so if you direct attention to the place the sleight happens (left elbow?) Deceptive? A pass... geeze you really want them to watch their card as you put the other half of the pack on top and do that sleight? Okay? Deceptive? (*whoops that may be the pirouette change - Marc's change is up at the arm or done as a snap down onto the pack? )

*comedy: have a friend over by the light switch and give them a nod just before you do the sleight - they flash the lights off then on again after a half second -, you're good. *
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Ray J
View Profile
Inner circle
St. Louis, MO
1503 Posts

Profile of Ray J
Quote:
On Sep 8, 2019, Bob G wrote:
Steve Friedberg mentioned J C Wagner's take on the flushtration count, saying that it's quite convincing. (Hi Steve!) Anyone know on which DVD Wagner teaches it? Is it in fact different from the usual count, or is it just that Wagner is a master and can do the standard count so well that people don't notice it?

Bob

Page 129 of The Commercial Magic of J.C. Wagner. Don't know if it is on any DVDs.
It's never crowded on the extra mile....
Ray J
View Profile
Inner circle
St. Louis, MO
1503 Posts

Profile of Ray J
Quote:
On Apr 14, 2019, magicfish wrote:
"If I may add my two cents. 

I believe that there's a subtle difference between using a Flustration Count to show four identical backs as opposed to four identical faces. Your audience should already assume that the backs of the cards are the same and the Flustration Count subtly "reconfirms" something that they already believe to be true."

- Daryl Easton

This makes good sense. I think attitude plays a key role.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Attitude yes, and judicious use.
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Most often it's the performer, not the actual "move." I've personally never had a problem with most mentioned here - certainly not with The Flushtration Count or the Turnover Change. And I'll feed my ego a bit - I sure as heck have never had any problem with my own stuff - The Halo Cut, The Status Quo Shuffle, The Lorayne Force, A Sweet 4-Card Change, the Take Five action, The Ultra Move, my Angle Spread, Spread Control, Universal Reversal, Utility Mixer, Salt-Less, The Great Divide, Hindu Shuffle force of TOP card, and etc. Ya' gotta' start reading the good stuff, Guys!!
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
Kong
View Profile
Regular user
Cymru
149 Posts

Profile of Kong
An interesting discussion and good read.

I have to agree with those who say it's rarely a sleight that fails, more often the application (..in other words, performance).

For an extreme example look at card-to-mouth. 100% bold, 100% misdirection but still seems to work when performed correctly.
kShepher
View Profile
Elite user
Washington, DC
470 Posts

Profile of kShepher
Regarding the Flushtration Count...you all know Ortiz uses it brilliantly in Jumping Gemini. Perhaps context?
Rupert Pupkin
View Profile
Inner circle
1452 Posts

Profile of Rupert Pupkin
Quote:
On Sep 14, 2019, kShepher wrote:
Regarding the Flushtration Count...you all know Ortiz uses it brilliantly in Jumping Gemini. Perhaps context?

Yes, this has been mentioned multiple times in this thread.
kShepher
View Profile
Elite user
Washington, DC
470 Posts

Profile of kShepher
Sorry, didn't read the whole thread.
Rupert Pupkin
View Profile
Inner circle
1452 Posts

Profile of Rupert Pupkin
I don't blame you. No point in losing those braincells.

I also don't think anyone is arguing that there aren't smart applications of discrepant moves.
kShepher
View Profile
Elite user
Washington, DC
470 Posts

Profile of kShepher
I'm just lazy on the weekends...my job sucks my soul.

I only chimed in because I JG is what I am working on now and even Ortiz in the video says he despises the move...but "it works here".

Carry on...
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Which move kshepher?
Ray J
View Profile
Inner circle
St. Louis, MO
1503 Posts

Profile of Ray J
I think he means the Flushtration in Jumping Gemini.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Oh I see. Thanks.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Sleights that wont fool anyone (26 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL