The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » BankWave by John Carey (26 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Waters.
View Profile
Special user
692 Posts

Profile of Waters.
Thanks gents. A less burdensome idea could be to spell the words LIFE or LOVE on the back sides of the pieces of paper. In this way, you tell your participant that you will influence them to choose the less valuable set of items between pieces of paper and the four bills. Someone will have to devalue these to say they won. If they are in mixed company, it will be hard for them to admit they value $4 more.. It will serve as a surprise and a lovely reminder for what truly matters.
Check out my (soon to be released) ebook, WANDERER at..
www.experience-architecture.com
Max Hazy
View Profile
Special user
541 Posts

Profile of Max Hazy
Agreed about letting two people shuffle being better.

Here's some ideas:

After half choices have passed (right after the other shuffle) you can offer them a third option... they can have one card... the other... or both. Obviously the same will apply for you, if possible. This can be done up to twice and not even get to the final phase, giving them more freedom of choice and speeding up the process. Credits to Quentin Reynolds as far as I'm aware.

I've been toying and practicing with cards to check new handlings possible and adapt to stand-up. Very easy to adapt and explore. Plenty of handlings to work with (I like to casually overhand shuffle 3 cards twice).

My current idea is to use this as an opener for my Q&A. I'll do with a couple, allowing both to shuffle. Whoever claims to have a better intuition will make the choices. In the end, the person with the best intuition will end up with envelopes containing easy to answer questions such as "What is your name?". The other person will end up with tough questions like "What's the serial number of the last cellphone used by Michael Jackson", which will elicit plenty of humor during interactions. The theme of intuition and questions will be perfect to introduce a Questions and Answers Act.

I don't like the original version where the participant comes out somewhat as a loser... so I've made some changes...

When road testing it, I've used with a theme of winning colors (as a prediction set aside). The "prediction" will say that for me to win, I would have to end-up with red colors and for the participant to win, he would have to end up with blue colors. Not a single color different. Since the participant makes the choices... the participant makes both of us win.

There's also plenty of room for setting a prediction aside and do the routine. I prefer to explore the theme of intuition, such as the participant end up with envelopes containing good names like happiness and prosperity... and avoiding bad names like death or disease.

You can test and practice with playing cards (just be clear they can't look at the cards). It gets stunning reactions. I'm very happy with it indeed.

Max
"Your method is in my opinion the very best way to do Q&A"
Millard Longman

"Max has pushed some less known and seldom used principles a huge step forward"
Jan Forster


Arcane Grimoires Vol 1- http://www.maxhazy.com/arcane-grimoires/apocryphal-reach/

Arcane Grimoires Vol 2- http://www.maxhazy.com/Codex-Mentis/
magico
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
818 Posts

Profile of magico
Quote:
On Mar 16, 2019, tenchu wrote:
Interesting!

Can anyone tell how this compares to John Bannon's "Banco" from Destination Zero book? Or Joe McKay's "Bank on 64th Street" from Magic Magazine?

Mike


I looked up Joe McKays routine.

The effect is the same both use 8 envelopes and the spectator makes all the decisions. Both end the same.

The differences.

Joe's uses marked envelopes.

Joe does not mix up the envelopes before the start of the routine.

The elimination process is different.

I prefer John's handling over Joe's.

Joe does mention using scratch tickets instead of having the envelopes empty giving the spectator a chance to win something.

I too like the idea of letting two people shuffle the envelopes.

I also like having something else in the envelopes and letting the spectator win.
Dr Ross
View Profile
Regular user
Lincoln, UK
170 Posts

Profile of Dr Ross
This is a great effect! Very clever thinking. I also love seeing the great ideas others are coming up with.

I was wondering if you could do a match-up variant. I was thinking at first that each of set of envelopes could contain the same ESP symbols. But the reveal would need to be in order and that's tricky (doable but tricky). Also, one symbol will need to be left out.

I then thought you could do this with a couple. Both sets contain the words 'You're/A/Perfect/Match'. During the routine, each participant chooses their own envelope from the two on offer (thus, one person replaces you as a participant). You're just facilitating.

At the end, you instruct them to open the envelopes and take out the cards/slips writing-side towards them so no-one else can see. You then emphasis the fairness of the whole process and ask them "Do your cards form a sentence?". They'll confirm and are then instructed to place each card face down to form the sentence. Give some patter about their connection and suchlike, and then have them flip their cards at the same time - 'You're A Perfect Match'.

Something along those lines anyway...

- Ross
Ross Bartels

Author of:
'Janken' (propless RPS effects) and 'Tacitus'
NeilS
View Profile
Inner circle
2598 Posts

Profile of NeilS
Or on each of the spectator's cards a complete phrase is written eg 'Always follow your intuition' and with the cards you are left with blank.
siepielski
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of siepielski
Doug Dyment's "Real Thing" handling may also work for the first mix of the envelopes.
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
2245 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Quote:
On Mar 16, 2019, Max Hazy wrote:
Agreed about letting two people shuffle being better.

Here's some ideas:

After half choices have passed (right after the other shuffle) you can offer them a third option... they can have one card... the other... or both. Obviously the same will apply for you, if possible. This can be done up to twice and not even get to the final phase, giving them more freedom of choice and speeding up the process. Credits to Quentin Reynolds as far as I'm aware.

I've been toying and practicing with cards to check new handlings possible and adapt to stand-up. Very easy to adapt and explore. Plenty of handlings to work with (I like to casually overhand shuffle 3 cards twice).

My current idea is to use this as an opener for my Q&A. I'll do with a couple, allowing both to shuffle. Whoever claims to have a better intuition will make the choices. In the end, the person with the best intuition will end up with envelopes containing easy to answer questions such as "What is your name?". The other person will end up with tough questions like "What's the serial number of the last cellphone used by Michael Jackson", which will elicit plenty of humor during interactions. The theme of intuition and questions will be perfect to introduce a Questions and Answers...

Max


Or perhaps an interesting confabulation... the person with the difficult question still has to answer them and when done, show that they were correct?
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6473 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
I wonder if this could be a kind of Roulette effect? You tell the spectators that there are four very dangerous and fatal things in some of the envelopes and completely harmless in others. You tell them that you are going to psychically/psychologically steer them to safety.

In the end you open up your envelopes and the words are: poison, TNT, deadly cobra and shark. When they open their envelopes they find photos of a puppy, a daisy, a smiling baby and a sign that reads SAFE

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
2245 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Quote:
On Mar 17, 2019, Greg Arce wrote:
I wonder if this could be a kind of Roulette effect? You tell the spectators that there are four very dangerous and fatal things in some of the envelopes and completely harmless in others. You tell them that you are going to psychically/psychologically steer them to safety.

In the end you open up your envelopes and the words are: poison, TNT, deadly cobra and shark. When they open their envelopes they find photos of a puppy, a daisy, a smiling baby and a sign that reads SAFE

Greg

That sounds like an interesting aspect.
Max Hazy
View Profile
Special user
541 Posts

Profile of Max Hazy
Owners of Doug Dyment's Tricyclic, check his supplemental section. There are a couple of things there regarding "Pokerplay" that will enhance this tremendously!
"Your method is in my opinion the very best way to do Q&A"
Millard Longman

"Max has pushed some less known and seldom used principles a huge step forward"
Jan Forster


Arcane Grimoires Vol 1- http://www.maxhazy.com/arcane-grimoires/apocryphal-reach/

Arcane Grimoires Vol 2- http://www.maxhazy.com/Codex-Mentis/
Jared
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island, USA
1411 Posts

Profile of Jared
I bought this over the weekend and really like it. John's solution for making the last choice is excellent and I also like the two additional mixing phases, which really sell the apparent randomness.
John Carey
View Profile
V.I.P.
1057 Posts

Profile of John Carey
Wow Guys! Some brilliant additional ideas. Thank you so much for sharing and your kindness.

Have a great day!


JC
John Carey
View Profile
V.I.P.
1057 Posts

Profile of John Carey
Btw, the equivoque for the last 2 is the genius idea of my super talented friend,Shannon Clark.
Drtriage
View Profile
Elite user
My garden fence has
421 Posts

Profile of Drtriage
Quote:
On Mar 17, 2019, Max Hazy wrote:
Owners of Doug Dyment's Tricyclic, check his supplemental section. There are a couple of things there regarding "Pokerplay" that will enhance this tremendously!


I have the 2010 printing of Tricyclic but it doesn't have a 'supplemental section' - is this in a later printing?
Max Hazy
View Profile
Special user
541 Posts

Profile of Max Hazy
Quote:
On Mar 18, 2019, Drtriage wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 17, 2019, Max Hazy wrote:
Owners of Doug Dyment's Tricyclic, check his supplemental section. There are a couple of things there regarding "Pokerplay" that will enhance this tremendously!


I have the 2010 printing of Tricyclic but it doesn't have a 'supplemental section' - is this in a later printing?


It's in his website. Deceptionary.com
"Your method is in my opinion the very best way to do Q&A"
Millard Longman

"Max has pushed some less known and seldom used principles a huge step forward"
Jan Forster


Arcane Grimoires Vol 1- http://www.maxhazy.com/arcane-grimoires/apocryphal-reach/

Arcane Grimoires Vol 2- http://www.maxhazy.com/Codex-Mentis/
Drtriage
View Profile
Elite user
My garden fence has
421 Posts

Profile of Drtriage
Quote:
On Mar 18, 2019, Max Hazy wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 18, 2019, Drtriage wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 17, 2019, Max Hazy wrote:
Owners of Doug Dyment's Tricyclic, check his supplemental section. There are a couple of things there regarding "Pokerplay" that will enhance this tremendously!


I have the 2010 printing of Tricyclic but it doesn't have a 'supplemental section' - is this in a later printing?


It's in his website. Deceptionary.com



Thanks!



(also found it separately with a little help from Google)
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6473 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Got it. Very nice routine and handling. It's definitely one to keep in the arsenal.

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
Oil&Water
View Profile
Elite user
468 Posts

Profile of Oil&Water
I am pretty certain I have seen the equivoque at the end before?
Can’t remember by who maybe Thom Peterson but definately somewhere, great effect though and some great ideas on this thread. Olly
Stunninger
View Profile
Inner circle
1974 Posts

Profile of Stunninger
BankWave by John Carey is EXCELLENT! What a brilliantly clever and well-thought-out routine and method. Use any envelopes, as they are not gimmmicked, prepared or marked in any way. The thinking here is outstanding.

Very pleased with BankWave!
STARE, AN4QVU, Mr. Chumley Takes a Peek, The Elvis Peek, Micro Billet Q&A, Instant Psychic Readings or Just for the Hull of It (Q&A 1-2-3 + Hull of a Peek) are sold separately and are available for $20 each. To order send Paypal for $20 to: mindreaderfxfx@gmail.com and specify which title you are ordering.

Videos are streaming only and cannot be downloaded.

Reviews can be found by doing a cafe search
tjackson8685
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of tjackson8685
Just bought this. The handling of the last two envelopes was worth the price to me!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » BankWave by John Carey (26 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL