The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » BankWave by John Carey (26 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
civins
View Profile
Regular user
Scotland
115 Posts

Profile of civins
How is this compared to banco by John Bannon. Both sound similar?
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
3341 Posts

Profile of warren
For those that have this I have a question, when it comes down to the last 2 envelopes does it look the same regardless of the choice of envelope ie if a spectator was to watch you perform this effect twice and a different envelope was selected would it look as fair or would it then be obvious as is the case when e******** is used ?
no2ss
View Profile
Special user
California
851 Posts

Profile of no2ss
Quote:
On Mar 21, 2019, warren wrote:
For those that have this I have a question, when it comes down to the last 2 envelopes does it look the same regardless of the choice of envelope ie if a spectator was to watch you perform this effect twice and a different envelope was selected would it look as fair or would it then be obvious as is the case when e******** is used ?

I would say... it depends on how observant your spec is. I would guess that *most* specs wouldn't notice any difference, especially if you perform it well. It's so subtle it'll fly by most. If you have an ultra-observant spec watch you do it a few times, they MIGHT figure it out, but it would be fairly difficult. The idea here is very, very subtle, which is what makes it so effective (and worth it).
glennn
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of glennn
Quote:

I just bought this effect and I do really like it, however, I wouldn't perform it twice in a row with the same spectator watching. I think a spectator may well notice a slight change in the procedure for the last envelopes. It may fly by some, but I personally wouldn't take the chance.
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
3341 Posts

Profile of warren
Thanks glennn & no2ss as I have a method that is repeatable in front of the same spectators I just wondered if we had both come up with the same solution.

As a side note I'm a big fan of Johns work he comes up with lots of great magic not to mention being a nice man too Smile
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1689 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
Thom Peterson's The Known uses a similar type of equivoque, though his version couldn't be applied here as it would seem discordant. It is better suited for a signal selection.

Quote:
On Mar 18, 2019, Oil n Water wrote:
I am pretty certain I have seen the equivoque at the end before?
Can’t remember by who maybe Thom Peterson but definately somewhere, great effect though and some great ideas on this thread. Olly

I was thinking one could possibly up the ante on the reveal. Perform the normal routine, open the envelopes to reveal that the spectator chose all the up arrows, where as the magician got all the down arrows (or 6's and 9's, etc.) Someone is bound to point out that the arrows can be turned around to point down and when they do, the magician points out that they are in fact up arrows... and asks the spectator to look at the second page. Underneath the up arrows is a second piece of paper (same size as the first like post-it notes) that says UP where as the magician then reveals that his second pages says DOWN.
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
Max Hazy
View Profile
Special user
541 Posts

Profile of Max Hazy
Quote:

I have performed it more than once, up to 3 times, for the same people and I didn't even reach the final choice. Obviously they were fooled badly. I'm not performing as suggested... there are plenty of room for enhancement in this routine. You don't even have to reach the final choice if you give them more choices... think about it... and that's not even the best part of how this can be improved! The best part is... Ok, I've gave more tips than I should. It boggles me how people are not seeing the potential it has... but on the other hand, I'm glad... it means less people will use it.

Those who have access to the supplement section for Doug Dyment's Tricyclic please, check that section. There are a couple of things there that will enhance this tremendously. It's the last time I'll give this tip.

In fact... forget everything I said... it's all lies! This sucks! There's nothing to see here... nothing! This topic sucks, moderators please close it! John Carey... what a horrible routine you've put out... it should be removed from Penguin immediately. Please!
"Your method is in my opinion the very best way to do Q&A"
Millard Longman

"Max has pushed some less known and seldom used principles a huge step forward"
Jan Forster

Arcane Grimoires Vol 1- http://www.maxhazy.com/arcane-grimoires/apocryphal-reach/

Arcane Grimoires Vol 2- http://www.maxhazy.com/Codex-Mentis/
Ceierry
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1436 Posts

Profile of Ceierry
Passed the GF test!

Got a gig Sunday and my Gf recommended me to use it

That good
Mark Timon
View Profile
Special user
508 Posts

Profile of Mark Timon
I don't see this version an improvement of the Bank night, first you need a table and second there are too many envelopes involved, with John Archer's version, Looch's or even with the thumb tip's one you are more than covered. But again if you like to collect routines you might like it.

Regards
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
3341 Posts

Profile of warren
Quote:
On Mar 22, 2019, Max Hazy wrote:

I have performed it more than once, up to 3 times, for the same people and I didn't even reach the final choice. Obviously they were fooled badly. I'm not performing as suggested... there are plenty of room for enhancement in this routine. You don't even have to reach the final choice if you give them more choices... think about it... and that's not even the best part of how this can be improved! The best part is... Ok, I've gave more tips than I should. It boggles me how people are not seeing the potential it has... but on the other hand, I'm glad... it means less people will use it.

I may have misread your post but that doesn't make any sense to me, if you have 8 envelopes surely it makes sense for the spectator to choose 4 for themselves and 4 for you, why on earth would you stop at say 3 each for example and put the remaining 2 envelopes away or not allow the spectator a choice between the last 2 envelopes ?

As I said I may have misread your post just as I think you must have misread my initial post as I didn't say anything in regards to the effects potential.
Max Hazy
View Profile
Special user
541 Posts

Profile of Max Hazy
Quote:
On Mar 23, 2019, Mark Timon wrote:
I don't see this version an improvement of the Bank night, first you need a table and second there are too many envelopes involved, with John Archer's version, Looch's or even with the thumb tip's one you are more than covered. But again if you like to collect routines you might like it.

Since the very first time I presented this routine to real people to check the results, I was doing it standing using their hands like a "table". I don't want to get in details of how I altered the shuffle because it is part of the method... but I'm disappointed by the lack of creativity that I've seem around here. You can't see improvement in this version? Comparing with just the ones you've mentioned, this one is gimmickless, gaffless, everything can be examined both before and after the routine... the same cannot be said of the examples you gave and, at least to me, that's some clear improvements. I'm actually glad in the end... as people have different tastes and this diversity is a beautiful thing... less people using it!
Millard Longman

Jan Forster

Arcane Grimoires Vol 1- http://www.maxhazy.com/arcane-grimoires/apocryphal-reach/

Max Hazy
View Profile
Special user
541 Posts

Profile of Max Hazy
Warren... you completely misunderstood what I meant, but I can't say more than that (I actually think I've said more than I should).
Millard Longman

Jan Forster

warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
3341 Posts

Profile of warren
Quote:
On Mar 23, 2019, Max Hazy wrote:
Warren... you completely misunderstood what I meant, but I can't say more than that (I actually think I've said more than I should).

I thought I must have misread what you said and I still haven't a clue what your on about so the secret is quite safe you'll be glad to know ha ha

I have my own method and solution as I haven't purchased the effect my comments were more to see if we had come to the same conclusion in how the last 2 cards are used in a 10 card poker type situation which this effect is based heavily on.

Personally I'm more than happy with the solution I have come up with to solve the problem of the last 2 cards/envelopes so it's very doubtful that I'll be picking up this excellent effect, not that I'm not a fan of JC's work and if he were to see my post I'm sure he would vouch for me when I say that I have purchased a lot of his work over the years and will no doubt be purchasing many more of his offerings in the future.
Jared
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island, USA
1409 Posts

Profile of Jared
After performing this several times over the past few days, I'm now convinced that this is the best version of this plot. The envelopes offer you room to customize the effect according to your audience and venue, and as I said before the additional mixing phases plus the satisfying handling of the last phase is a thing of beauty. This is my favorite effect of 2019 so far.
Chamberlain
View Profile
Special user
630 Posts

Profile of Chamberlain
Really like this, a great routine and I have tons of small red enevelopes I use for keeping my packet tricks in so I was able to start playing with it straight away
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1689 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
This passed the wife test, but not with flying colors. She was hip to the incongruity of the last envelopes. Fortunately, I had thought through the method and had a response prepared for her objection. My response made sense so she went with it and the trick ended well, with her impressed at the ending.

Food for thought...
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
5487 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On Apr 1, 2019, Kaliix wrote:
This passed the wife test, but not with flying colors. She was hip to the incongruity of the last envelopes. Fortunately, I had thought through the method and had a response prepared for her objection. My response made sense so she went with it and the trick ended well, with her impressed at the ending.

Food for thought...

Care to elaborate on this Kaliix?
PM me or move it downstairs if need be.
Thanks!!!
stickmondoo
View Profile
Loyal user
288 Posts

Profile of stickmondoo
This is the John Bannon Routine from Destination Zero right?
no2ss
View Profile
Special user
California
851 Posts

Profile of no2ss
Quote:
On Apr 1, 2019, videoman wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 1, 2019, Kaliix wrote:

Food for thought...

Care to elaborate on this Kaliix?
PM me or move it downstairs if need be.
Thanks!!!

I'm similarly curious...
stickmondoo
View Profile
Loyal user
288 Posts

Profile of stickmondoo
Is there anyone who can answer my question? Is this John Bannons routine from Destination Zero?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » BankWave by John Carey (26 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL