The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » BankWave by John Carey (26 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
dyoung
View Profile
Special user
776 Posts

Profile of dyoung
Its the same in it that it's a banknite using the structure of a 10 card poker deal. But there are also some minor differences.

//Dan
paperinick
View Profile
Inner circle
my faro is starting to look nice after
1165 Posts

Profile of paperinick
Quote:
On Apr 2, 2019, no2ss wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 1, 2019, videoman wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 1, 2019, Kaliix wrote:
This passed the wife test, but not with flying colors. She was hip to the incongruity of the last envelopes. Fortunately, I had thought through the method and had a response prepared for her objection. My response made sense so she went with it and the trick ended well, with her impressed at the ending.

Food for thought...

Care to elaborate on this Kaliix?
PM me or move it downstairs if need be.
Thanks!!!

I'm similarly curious...

Me 2
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death my right to say "scr*w you" if you persist. [Voltaire Smile]
aabc
View Profile
Regular user
153 Posts

Profile of aabc
This looks good, but I'm not too much of a fan of the selection procedure. Are there any other good close up versions of Bank Night anyone knows of?
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1689 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
Can't really answer in an open forum, sent you a PM.

Quote:
On Apr 3, 2019, paperinick wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 2, 2019, no2ss wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 1, 2019, videoman wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 1, 2019, Kaliix wrote:
This passed the wife test, but not with flying colors. She was hip to the incongruity of the last envelopes. Fortunately, I had thought through the method and had a response prepared for her objection. My response made sense so she went with it and the trick ended well, with her impressed at the ending.

Food for thought...

Care to elaborate on this Kaliix?
PM me or move it downstairs if need be.
Thanks!!!

I'm similarly curious...

Me 2
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1689 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
Someone who PM'ed me about the last two envelopes also mentioned the shuffle in the middle. I find that I just skip the shuffle by separating the four remaining envelopes, top two in one hand bottom two in the other. When the hands come back together, the top envelopes of both hands come together as the new top two envelopes of the stack, shuffle now unnecessary.
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
Walking Bob
View Profile
Elite user
488 Posts

Profile of Walking Bob
Does anyone know where I can find the same envelopes that John uses to perform this effect?

Thanks in advance and have a great day,

Walking Bob in Iowa
dman11
View Profile
Special user
PA
703 Posts

Profile of dman11
Quote:
On Apr 3, 2019, Walking Bob wrote:
Does anyone know where I can find the same envelopes that John uses to perform this effect?

Walking Bob in Iowa

He mentions it early on in the tutorial.
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1689 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
I've spent some time trying to find the right size envelope. I finally settled on ones that are just a bit bigger then playing cards and money. I feel like keeping the envelope size close to what a playing card is, will make them more natural to handle, hopefully... we'll see when they come in.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
Rizzo
View Profile
Inner circle
East Coast
3218 Posts

Profile of Rizzo
On latest lecture of Reel Magic, Boris has a very good routine using 10 card Poker deal. It can be adapted to play for any audience, it can be a game theme, unlimited potential. Great ideas as not all spectators know about winning poker hands etc.

Ok back to this. A good effect Here!
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
3344 Posts

Profile of warren
Quote:
On Apr 4, 2019, Rizzo wrote:
On latest lecture of Reel Magic, Boris has a very good routine using 10 card Poker deal. It can be adapted to play for any audience, it can be a game theme, unlimited potential.

I mentioned that on page one Smile
Rizzo
View Profile
Inner circle
East Coast
3218 Posts

Profile of Rizzo
Warren, you sir are correct! Jet lag got to me this week.
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
3344 Posts

Profile of warren
Quote:
On Apr 4, 2019, Rizzo wrote:
Warren, you sir are correct! Jet lag got to me this week.

Ha ha no problem....great minds think alike as they say Smile
bosami
View Profile
Regular user
134 Posts

Profile of bosami
Quote:
On Apr 3, 2019, Walking Bob wrote:

Walking Bob in Iowa

Hobby Lobby has some that are the right size. (Also in Iowa.)
...forever curious
bosami
View Profile
Regular user
134 Posts

Profile of bosami
I love this - it is absolutely awesome. I too, do not want the spectator to feel like they 'lost.' So what I do is put business cards in 4 envelopes and on the back of them I put one letter: L, O, V, E. When they see all they have are business cards (the front side) and that I have the cash, there is a moment of disappointment. But then I turn the business cards over, put them in the right order and say: 'You're the better person, you chose love over money.'
...forever curious
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
5491 Posts

Profile of videoman
Very nice idea bosami. 👍🏻
westo
View Profile
Special user
Portugal
529 Posts

Profile of westo
I'm working on an Oscars theme....where the spectator wins 4 Oscars....I like how the opening of the envelopes tie in with this.
Creator of 'The Famous Westo Peek'..'The Westo Dump' and the 'Westolope'
stickmondoo
View Profile
Loyal user
288 Posts

Profile of stickmondoo
Thanks dyoung. It looks to me like the minor difference is that John Carey is performing it and not John Bannon.
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1689 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
I settled on these envelopes that are just a bit bigger than a playing card, have the long flap European design with a nice pre-cut slit to hold the flap closed. That slit holds them securely closed while allowing easy opening without glue.

I decided to try a routine out on my 15 year old daughter. In the envelopes are post-it notes where you lift off two post it notes, draw a 6 on the top one and write six underneath on the bottom. Make four double post-it 6's. Then make four 9's the same way, drawing 9 on the first post-it and writing nine on the second. Every time our intentionally sideways numbers would come out of the envelopes, I'd say mine was a 9 and her's was a 6. She was soooo, how do you know it's a six, you should put a line on the bottom, you should make it more clear, getting just a little more annoyed each time because I told her it was destiny that I always get the higher number. When I revealed the second post-it underneath had actual number written, she lost her ever loving mind and ranted for a good couple of minutes. I couldn't stop laughing. Don't know how this will play in the real world outside of family, but it was worth it just for that epic rant.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
no2ss
View Profile
Special user
California
852 Posts

Profile of no2ss
Quote:
On Apr 18, 2019, Kaliix wrote:
I settled on these envelopes that are just a bit bigger than a playing card, have the long flap European design with a nice pre-cut slit to hold the flap closed. That slit holds them securely closed while allowing easy opening without glue.

I decided to try a routine out on my 15 year old daughter. In the envelopes are post-it notes where you lift off two post it notes, draw a 6 on the top one and write six underneath on the bottom. Make four double post-it 6's. Then make four 9's the same way, drawing 9 on the first post-it and writing nine on the second. Every time our intentionally sideways numbers would come out of the envelopes, I'd say mine was a 9 and her's was a 6. She was soooo, how do you know it's a six, you should put a line on the bottom, you should make it more clear, getting just a little more annoyed each time because I told her it was destiny that I always get the higher number. When I revealed the second post-it underneath had actual number written, she lost her ever loving mind and ranted for a good couple of minutes. I couldn't stop laughing. Don't know how this will play in the real world outside of family, but it was worth it just for that epic rant.

I love that idea -- beyond adding some humor to the routine also probably serves to further hide the method, since people will get more focused on the whole 6 v. 9 thing. Clever.
Max Hazy
View Profile
Special user
541 Posts

Profile of Max Hazy
Hopefully this single picture of me performing it in my latest gig will spark some ideas for you, pay attention to the details to get a tip: https://www.instagram.com/p/BwaRmuVnoP1/

Those who are in the Codex Mentis group will receive further tips on this soon (it will only make sense for those who have it). Here's what my presentation is about:

Each envelope have a question. Participants shuffle the envelopes and make the choices of which one gets what envelope. No marked envelopes and no sleight of hand as in the original. In the end, thanks to an amulet that I lend to them, a participant will get only easy questions such as "what animal goes woof woof?" and the other participant will only get tough questions such as "Count to infinity... twice... and backwards". Plenty of funny moments... and the fact that this is about questions also helps me to set the audience to my Q&A act in the end. This has found a definitive place in my repertoire.

Max
"Your method is in my opinion the very best way to do Q&A"
Millard Longman

"Max has pushed some less known and seldom used principles a huge step forward"
Jan Forster

Arcane Grimoires Vol 1- http://www.maxhazy.com/arcane-grimoires/apocryphal-reach/

Arcane Grimoires Vol 2- http://www.maxhazy.com/Codex-Mentis/
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » BankWave by John Carey (26 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.25 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL