The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Old Cards (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

StevieP
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of StevieP
On my quest for the perfect shuffle I am getting through a few decks of cards. My question is what do others do with the drawer full of old blunt edged clumpy cards? My family and friends are now very well stocked for cards to play games. Is there a charitable outlet that is common? Is fanning power and a guillotine a realistic option?
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, Pa
2926 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Use them to practice your mercury card fold (MCF) or TnR card or oragami frog or ????
I learned Doc Dixon's "Ships in the Night" that uses 4 cards to be signed by 4 different people.
4 Jokers are also used and placed in 4 different pockets. The cards transpose.
I mention this because I use my collection of left over cards from decks for this effect.

You can check out Doc Dixon's effect on Penguin. BTW people have told me that this was one of the most powerful (mind blown) effects they have seen. (no affiliation) I have plenty of cards to use for this without breaking out new decks.
If you can't help worrying, remember worrying can't help you!
Signet
View Profile
Loyal user
249 Posts

Profile of Signet
If you've ever thought about cutting your own stripper deck or Svengali, these would be great for practice. If you do any tricks where you burn or tear up a card, you could use them for that. You could also give a box of old decks to your local nursing home.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3384 Posts

Profile of Julie
You might consider donating complete (not missing cards) decks to the V.A. or homeless shelters.

Julie
Greg Kiefer
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of Greg Kiefer
If you have a couple of similar retired decks you might consider using them for practice. A great card trick to learn is “Torn and Restored Transposition” by the great David Williamson. It can be found in Williamson’s Wonders book.
Mark Boody Illusionist
View Profile
Inner circle
1311 Posts

Profile of Mark Boody Illusionist
Card warp is another option for those used cards.

Mark
blowin
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of blowin
Angle Z by Daniel Madison will give you a spectacular way to destroy old decks one card at a time. It's a brilliant effect.
StevieP
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of StevieP
Wow some really good ideas. I think the local homeless center will be getting some. Then a pack will be numbered to practice my estimation. A couple of packs pegged, shaved, cut and gaffed in all manner of ways. With just enough left to try a couple of effects which are destructive to the cards.

Thank you all.

S.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Old Cards (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL