The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Houdini's Diary by Wayne Dobson and Alan Wong (10 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Titanas
View Profile
V.I.P.
1995 Posts

Profile of Titanas
This is Wayne's take on the classic Diary Card effect.

As ever, he has routined it to be SUPER-SIMPLE to perform:

NO STACKS - NO ARITHMETIC - NO MEMORIZING - NO CRIBS
NO SLEIGHT OF HAND - ONLY ONE DIARY - INSTANT RESET

Not only is it a strong effect, but the Houdini theme is intriguing and memorable.

You offer to show them the trick Houdini claimed as his favorite card trick!

It involves a vintage diary - and you managed to get hold of one of Houdini's original private diaries.

As a man fascinated by the occult, Houdini liked to write the name of a playing card against every day in the diary, in the belief that particular cards had resonance with certain days of the year.

The spectator calls out any date in the year that means something special to them: a genuine, free choice.

When you spread the deck face down, every card is blue-backed except for one card - which is red-backed AND bears Houdini's signature on the back!

The spectator only now turns to the date and confirms that the cards for that week are all different. For the first time, they tell you the name of the card at that particular date.

The amazing coincidence is that their chosen date was the very one that Houdini's pet dog died; the single red card is now shown to be the very same card.

You'll love the antique diary and photograph Bob Gill designed and Alan Wong produced especially for this effect.

But most of all, you'll love Wayne's very funny comedy presentation that is the making of this routine: one you'll enjoy performing - every time you do it.

More info:
https://www.murphysmagic.com/Product.aspx?id=63784

Best regards,
Titanas
Product Developer @ Murphys Magic Supplies
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
4306 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
Looks very good. I would add an old, antique looking deck to fit with the theme.
Michael
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote:
On Mar 15, 2019, magicinsight wrote:
Looks very good. I would add an old, antique looking deck to fit with the theme.
Michael

Bicycle 1800 vintage deck would be perfect.
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
4306 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
Quote:
On Mar 15, 2019, pegasus wrote:
Quote:
Michael

Pegasus,

Thank you very much for the recommnedation.

Michael
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
You’re Smile
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
5203 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
This looks great. I have been using Chronologue by Collectors’ Workshop and this looks like a new concept that I will be interesting to test out.

I found the trick here:
The Magic of Wayne Dobson.

http://dtrik.com/
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6750 Posts

Profile of videoman
I really like the fact that the deck can be used for other things. Makes it so much more practical and easy to carry.

What I don’t like so much is that to cover an entire year the deck would have to repeat about 6 times and that just seems like it may seem odd to specs.
But I suspect it may repeat much more than that. I wonder how many pages can be shown in the diary?
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12968 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On Mar 16, 2019, videoman wrote:
I really like the fact that the deck can be used for other things. Makes it so much more practical and easy to carry.

What I don’t like so much is that to cover an entire year the deck would have to repeat about 6 times and that just seems like it may seem odd to specs.
But I suspect it may repeat much more than that. I wonder how many pages can be shown in the diary?

I don't think specs think that way...like we do. These diary type tricks are classics. Specs don't care.
TheBentos
View Profile
Loyal user
Grim North
246 Posts

Profile of TheBentos
I really like the idea of this, but does this diary have any other features built into it?
Or is it just a diary with a deck repeated 7 times?
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2720 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
Quote:
On Mar 16, 2019, John C wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 16, 2019, videoman wrote:

I don't think specs think that way...like we do. These diary type tricks are classics. Specs don't care.

Keep in mind that this was one of Bob Cassidy's signature effects. I've been doing this for many years and never had anyone give it a thought. The whole diary can be shown but is not necessary. Way too much overthinking on this.

Best

Steve
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
SVE*N!

Looks cool - also looks like you will need very decent spectator management in terms of having them flip correctly/correct direction.

Bob's Chrono was classic.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
aligator
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
2044 Posts

Profile of aligator
Can anyone recommend any other good diary effects that do not use playing cards?
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12968 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On Mar 16, 2019, aligator wrote:
Can anyone recommend any other good diary effects that do not use playing cards?

What would they use?
no2ss
View Profile
Inner circle
California
1027 Posts

Profile of no2ss
Quote:
On Mar 15, 2019, pegasus wrote:
Quote:
Michael

I'll second the recommendation. I use the Bicycle 1800 series all the time (I love the markings on them as well), and they're great (and it's amazing how many people really do think they're an ancient deck, even when they're fresh out of the box).
Oil&Water
View Profile
Elite user
468 Posts

Profile of Oil&Water
How does this differ from Pat Pages Old Moore’s diary effect? Regards Olly
Papa Legba
View Profile
Special user
home-an unremarkable spiral arm of an insignificant galaxy
750 Posts

Profile of Papa Legba
Quote:
On Mar 16, 2019, Oil&Water wrote:
How does this differ from Pat Pages Old Moore’s diary effect? Regards Olly

1 - According to the blurb HD does not use a stack OMD certainly does use a stack.
2 - With OMD the 'selected' card is the same back colour as the rest of the deck.
Art
Use the FORCE Luke.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Remember that though bobs one features playing cards, the presentation covers why, and there's no physical deck involved... Just the ahem ahem.

Once you know the principles, you can apply to all kinds of themes.
I've asked to be banned
simplymagicweb
View Profile
Inner circle
Norfolk, UK
1415 Posts

Profile of simplymagicweb
Quote:
On Mar 16, 2019, aligator wrote:

Try CelebriDate - has famous peoples birthdays in the diary. No cards. Here’s a clip of me performing it at the Magic Circle

https://youtu.be/WOOaVNaO0gs
Magically,

Website - www.simplymagic.co.uk
Twitter - www.twitter.com/simplymagic19
Facebook - www.facebook.com/SeanGoodmanMagician

Creator of BDZ, Holidayz, The Grayle, DUO, Secret Servante, Genetics, Vision, Tick Tock, Starstruck, CelebriDate, MagiDate, Focus, SIGMA and R2R
indomagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1143 Posts

Profile of indomagic
Any review please ?
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
5203 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
Quote:
On Apr 4, 2019, indomagic wrote:
Any review please ?

Yes, still waiting for a review...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Houdini's Diary by Wayne Dobson and Alan Wong (10 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL